How warm was it this winter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I think we might have had 3 days of below zero temperatures this winter here at the most northeastern part of the US.

I don't know if it speaks to how warm it has been but I got a tick on me Sunday building fence. The first of march! That's unreal here and I have never seen that before.

Around the Madison area we had less than a week's worth of below zero days or nights, the entire winter!! Most days were well above 32 degrees, very unusual. But we had one of our snowiest winters ever (52 inches of snow so far) and had record snowfall around Halloween. So of course I finally get my nice stove for this winter and it turns out to be a mild winter!

I think we might have had 3 days of below zero temperatures this winter here at the most northeastern part of the US.
At Moosehead we had a lot more below zero days than 3 but the lack of snow killed the snowmobile season.

In my area of northern NH we had an average winter for snow and temps for the new normal of the last 20 years. Snow cover has been average. My wood usage is on track for an average winter. If its sticks with the "new normal" spring will be earlier by a few weeks and we may get a few storms into March.

I pretty well have assured minimal snowfall for the rest of the season as my old snowblower died and I just got a new one delviered ;)

I currently have a swamp instead of a yard, we kept getting snow and then a melt. Weird winter... guys at work never even got their sleds out this year.

Reactions: SpaceBus
In my area of northern NH we had an average winter for snow and temps for the new normal of the last 20 years. Snow cover has been average. My wood usage is on track for an average winter. If its sticks with the "new normal" spring will be earlier by a few weeks and we may get a few storms into March.

I pretty well have assured minimal snowfall for the rest of the season as my old snowblower died and I just got a new one delviered ;)
This is how I feel. Now that we have a tractor and walk behind blower of course I only use them twice.

At Moosehead we had a lot more below zero days than 3 but the lack of snow killed the snowmobile season.
I think I only heard sleds once here this winter. The only ice and snow I can see anymore is in the woods where there is no sun.

But we had one of our snowiest winters ever (52 inches of snow so far) and had record snowfall around Halloween. So of course I finally get my nice stove for this winter and it turns out to be a mild winter!

Statistically this may be true, but it still seemed like a dud of a winter. Some snow came very early....then melted. Then we had a handful of very small snow events until more came very late in the winter. I like snow. I'd like to see a couple feet on the ground from December through February. We just don't get that around here.

Reactions: WoodBurnerInWI
careful what you wish for- In my time i have experienced many a doozy of snow storm through the end of April. 1970 or71 maybe 72, April 27th that was a deep one May 10, 1988 a few inches.

In our area, the Spring Peepers (frogs) typically signal the arrival of spring.
I've noticed I'm hearing them earlier every year - this year in early February.
I think we're past the point of "trusting science" to see what's going on.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Yeah, even folks I know that are staunchly anti "global warming" are agreeing that "something" is happening.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
Those poor sleepy Russian bears!

careful what you wish for- In my time i have experienced many a doozy of snow storm through the end of April. 1970 or71 maybe 72, April 27th that was a deep one May 10, 1988 a few inches.
We're not Wisconsin, but one of the biggest snows in my lifetime was Mar.30, 1983.

While one warm winter was never a cause of concern in the past, when considered in the trend of increasingly global temperatures, I'm really hoping against all indicators that it's not a sign of worse to come.

Last edited:
Statistically this may be true, but it still seemed like a dud of a winter. Some snow came very early....then melted. Then we had a handful of very small snow events until more came very late in the winter. I like snow. I'd like to see a couple feet on the ground from December through February. We just don't get that around here.

Agree, very much a dud winter. Will likely top out at 3 cords used if I start to really make a dent in my cherry stacks.

I like snow too, wife and I are avid cross country skiers and I go ice fishing a lot. Only got out a handful of times to ski, it seemed like every snowstorm was heavy crap snow.

Those poor sleepy Russian bears!

We're not Wisconsin, but one of the biggest snows in my lifetime was Mar.30, 1983.

While one warm winter was never a cause of concern in the past, when considered in the trend of increasingly global temperatures, I'm really hoping against all indicators that it's not a sign of worse to come.

It is a sign of worse to come. The trend is pretty obvious.

Same here. I've noticed snow geese flying back north earlier as well.....the last 3 weekends while working outside I've seen a lot of them.

I've seen several Canadian geese the last two weeks.

I've seen several Canadian geese the last two weeks.
Same here. All headed north. I have to admit, I haven’t paid enough attention to their timing in the past, but this feels early.

Just had a dump truck load of bark mulch dropped in my driveway this morning. I think this is the earliest I’ve ever placed that order.

Trillium have just started flowering, which is about normal timing. February, however, was one of the driest on record, and rain is how we measure our winters. Folks are already getting nervous about fire season.

• Sad
Reactions: begreen
There will still be some doozies, but they are increasingly becoming anomalies rather than the norm.

Our winter has been fairly normal, still got to -42, although the odd warm spell, we even got 4 inches of snow today.

Precipitation seems to be more normal than it was 5-10 years ago. We don't get multi week dry spells like we used to, the mountains are getting more consistent snow which makes for better sledding, and of course more snowpack to keep the river levels up.

My grandfather is almost 90, he says he has seen snow fall in every month except July. He has noted that the weather does vary decade to decade, some dryer, some wetter, warmer and colder. But he did note that the winters aren't as cold as they used to be, month long stretches of -40 don't really happen anymore.

The one weird thing I've noticed is how dry May is becoming and how wet June can be. Twice now we have has towns/cities burn from forest fires in Alberta (Slave Lake, Ft McMurray) in May, to then be flooded a month later in June from heavy rainfall. It's becoming hard on farmers, if the crops can germinate in the dry conditions in May they then need to survive the downpours in June.