How Your Harman Works -what your manual doesn't tell you..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ibcynya, Do you know if a PF100 is controlled the same as Harman stoves? I didn't see any mention either way. Thanks for the great explanations on how /why they work.

Ibcynya, Do you know if a PF100 is controlled the same as Harman stoves? I didn't see any mention either way. Thanks for the great explanations on how /why they work.

Sorry, I do not. It would be interesting to compare.

I've been running our Accentra insert for a few months now & just stumbled on this thread.

I've read the manual and the technical stuff in this thread several times... but still have a few questions.

1) I don't know for sure, but I think the installed put the wall mount unit UNDER the stove where the control panel swings open. IF it's under there, is it ok... or should I try to relocate it?

2) the ash that I'm getting stays stuck together and will travel almost 2.5 inches out past the edge before breaking off. I've put the feed rate down to almost 1.5 ( stove was starting to blow cooler air ) and up to almost 6 ( runs out overnight but still no half burnt pellets in the ash pan )

Help..... Please......

:)

PPL - I suggest you post your question in it's own thread.

Not many people will see this as it's an older thread.

-Brian

Reactions: Justin M
I've been running our Accentra insert for a few months now & just stumbled on this thread.

I've read the manual and the technical stuff in this thread several times... but still have a few questions.

1) I don't know for sure, but I think the installed put the wall mount unit UNDER the stove where the control panel swings open. IF it's under there, is it ok... or should I try to relocate it?

2) the ash that I'm getting stays stuck together and will travel almost 2.5 inches out past the edge before breaking off. I've put the feed rate down to almost 1.5 ( stove was starting to blow cooler air ) and up to almost 6 ( runs out overnight but still no half burnt pellets in the ash pan )

Help..... Please......

:)
If you start start a new thread for your question you will likely get an immediate response. I'm not sure what you mean by "the wall mount unit"? If you are talking about the room temp. sensor then your question is answered in the first post of this thread. As to your ash question, it is likely caused by the pellets that you are burning. What brand are you burning and have you tried switching?

Hi,

Read this helpful thread and thought i could add some temperature numbers to it if anyone is interested. I recently installed a P43 and wanted to get a baseline for the stove incase there is a problem in the future so i can compare. These numbers probably aren't too accurate but still some people might find them useful.

Stove temp mode - Auto

Stove temp (ESP) to Degrees F
3=380
4=435
5= 480
6=545
7=565

Temp was taken with an cheap IR thermometer from the side of the stove as this is a close as i could get to ESP temps.

Last edited:

You can leave it where it is. Just set set the temp to what is most comfortable for you in room temp as the temp of the probe probably will be different than the rest of the room. In stove temp you are going off the esp so it does not matter at all.

What are you burning for pellets? Do you have a OAK installed? Set you fee rate for about an inch of ash on the burn pot ignoring the hanging over ash, start at a setting of and fine tune from there

Am Upstate NY older female with Harman Invincible pellet stove issue. Been using it this season (only source of heat) since November with no issues and I do weekly cleanings. Have older home and only use medium size living and kitchen rooms (closed off rest of rooms). Since outside temperature has dropped to between -3 to 7 degrees night and some days, I can't seem to regulate feed rate. Use only stove mode as thermostat not hooked up. Use temp 7 and changed feed too many times to know how many turns. In stove throat, pellets burn as soon as pushed out from auger so by time they get to pot they just pile on top of one another to form really big pile . Bottom of pellets from back to front of pot are red hot, top pellets from back to front range from red burned pellets, then black pellets, gray pellets, but only 1/4" of ash. Too much feed, pile just gets bigger and partially burned pellets fall off but flame and heat output good. Too low feed, low flame and low heat and not enough heat producing pellets. Can't regulate feed to warm room in this weather....any helpful suggestions?

Am Upstate NY older female with Harman Invincible pellet stove issue. Been using it this season (only source of heat) since November with no issues and I do weekly cleanings. Have older home and only use medium size living and kitchen rooms (closed off rest of rooms). Since outside temperature has dropped to between -3 to 7 degrees night and some days, I can't seem to regulate feed rate. Use only stove mode as thermostat not hooked up. Use temp 7 and changed feed too many times to know how many turns. In stove throat, pellets burn as soon as pushed out from auger so by time they get to pot they just pile on top of one another to form really big pile . Bottom of pellets from back to front of pot are red hot, top pellets from back to front range from red burned pellets, then black pellets, gray pellets, but only 1/4" of ash. Too much feed, pile just gets bigger and partially burned pellets fall off but flame and heat output good. Too low feed, low flame and low heat and not enough heat producing pellets. Can't regulate feed to warm room in this weather....any helpful suggestions?

Little confused by your description, however start from where you have feed rate that keeps the room warm as thats the most important! Then if pellets are still falling off or you have less than an inch of ash dial back the feed rate in half number increments. Say its on 5 go to 4.5 then wait 30 mins and check again. Trick is do do very fine adjustments and then let the stove settle with the new settings. Give it at least 30 mins!

If this fails to work and your sure you the stove is clean (get somone to check draft to be sure) and clean the ESP!

Make sure your pellet quality is good (consistant) as this is the most likely reason.

if all the above fails you may have a faulty ESP or control board that is not mainting a correct feed rate.

I had backed off feed adjustment little by little but that didn't take care of problem. I haven't had any prior problems with current ton of pellets. What I didn't mention in my much too detailed description was pellets never stopped feeding at any point on setting 7 or 6 which I believe was my problem. So right now I have increased the feed and lowered temp to 4 and this seems to help as feed now stops to allow 1" of ashes to form.

I had backed off feed adjustment little by little but that didn't take care of problem. I haven't had any prior problems with current ton of pellets. What I didn't mention in my much too detailed description was pellets never stopped feeding at any point on setting 7 or 6 which I believe was my problem. So right now I have increased the feed and lowered temp to 4 and this seems to help as feed now stops to allow 1" of ashes to form.

Thats makes sense as the stove was alwatys trying to get up to temperature it was constantly dumping pellets in. However backing down the feed rate should have prevented the build up as that is exactly what that setting is for!

Keep us updated on what you find.

No matter whether I increased or decreased the feed rate, it wouldn't stop feeding pellets between stove temps 5-7. What I finally did was adjusted the feed rate AND lowered the stove temp down to between 3.5 - 4 and this seemed to be much better as now the feed finally stops when stove gets up to temperature. Has been working well for a couple of days now and house is now comfortable.

I bought a used accentra insert and when I had the installers come install it they said it was damaged and needed repair. (Thankfully this was covered under warranty) and when they returned the stove after "fixing" it-after a couple of days of burning I realized the temp knob and the blower knob had been installed 180 degrees out of correct position. I returned the knobs to their proper position. Anyways, my stove has been making a lot of ash (as compared to the FS accentra i had at my last house). Would this stove have been calibrated by the tech after reinstalling it? and could these dials being in the wrong position effect the stove now? Any help appreciated.

I bought a used accentra insert and when I had the installers come install it they said it was damaged and needed repair. (Thankfully this was covered under warranty) and when they returned the stove after "fixing" it-after a couple of days of burning I realized the temp knob and the blower knob had been installed 180 degrees out of correct position. I returned the knobs to their proper position. Anyways, my stove has been making a lot of ash (as compared to the FS accentra i had at my last house). Would this stove have been calibrated by the tech after reinstalling it? and could these dials being in the wrong position effect the stove now? Any help appreciated.

Ash or soot?

Excess soot would indicate a bad setup. However if it's burning clean ash is a pellet issue.

I am new here but I have been burning a Harmon PC45 for a few years. I would like to know what others are getting for distribution temperatures out the front of the stove. I have the blower set to as low as it will go and use a mechanical surface thermometer on a magnetic base that is placed between the holes at the top center of the front of the stove.
Using wood pellets, the auger runs 3 seconds out of a 12 second cycle.
I am getting about 285°F out of the stove.
How does this compare to what you are getting?

Increased both the feed rate and stove temp last night. Outside temp is -5°F
Using wood pellets, the auger runs 5 seconds out of a 12 second cycle now.
I am getting about 335°F out of the stove and burning a lot of pellets.

Last edited:
On my brand new harman p35i I get a lot of ash especially when I crank it.im using green supremes and was told this is normal.Of course black soot that is hard to clean off your glass then there may be a problem.

On my brand new harman p35i I get a lot of ash especially when I crank it.im using green supremes and was told this is normal.Of course black soot that is hard to clean off your glass then there may be a problem.
Not normal for other pellets, GS is the worst pellet I have ever burned. Try some Fireside Ultras if you want box store brands, much hotter, cleaner, and slightly less ash. Best of all no sticky residue like the GS's

Reactions: Ctcarl
Not normal for other pellets, GS is the worst pellet I have ever burned. Try some Fireside Ultras if you want box store brands, much hotter, cleaner, and slightly less ash. Best of all no sticky residue like the GS's
Will look for that next time round. The Home Depot I used only had green supreme.thanx

FSU is good the past two years but they really sucked two years before that. Spend 20 bucks and try before you commit to the 6 ton buy

Thanks Mod for correcting the title!

Very good article. And thanks for replying to my question (1 of 2). While our time per setting on the feed rate varies (I found 1.0 = 15 seconds and every full number increased after that was + 10 seconds), our findings were the same. This shows a flaw in the initial setup of the P68. You can not guarantee that the esp thermocouple has not reached temp and caused the controller to over ride your feed rate setting, therefore while you believe setting it on 4 or 5 still leaves a 1" ash lip, the truth is the esp temp might have limited the actual feed rate to 3 (maybe its warm out), then one day when its really cold, it will not over ride the feed rate and will achieve a 4 or 5 feed rate and push un burned pellets over the edge.

I love my Harman, and after my testing understand it more. Maybe one day we can offer Harman a software change that will still keep the unit safe (#1), but allow a true proper feed rate (max) adjustment.

Once again, wonderful article and I wished I read it first !

Doug.
5 ton's plus each winter !
Harman p68

Ok, first a couple of things.

I read this entire thread and my question wasn't answered.

I own a Harman XXV (new).

Question:

When operating in 'Stove temp' mode, you use the numbers on the control board to control the burn, it is constant. I know that it is based on exhaust temp, but what I don't know is the AVERAGE consumption rate based on the number. The dealer said 1 equals 1 pound per hour and 7 equals 7 pounds per hour. I am unable to find anything that can verify that. Other than temp, do those numbers correspond to a specific hourly pellet burn rate?

Thanks

Ok, first a couple of things.

I read this entire thread and my question wasn't answered.

I own a Harman XXV (new).

Question:

When operating in 'Stove temp' mode, you use the numbers on the control board to control the burn, it is constant. I know that it is based on exhaust temp, but what I don't know is the AVERAGE consumption rate based on the number. The dealer said 1 equals 1 pound per hour and 7 equals 7 pounds per hour. I am unable to find anything that can verify that. Other than temp, do those numbers correspond to a specific hourly pellet burn rate?

Thanks

Welcome...

As a ballpark, which is what your dealer was trying to do, it's probably not tooo far off. However, without taking ALL the variables into consideration, it's hard to distill your question down to simple burn rate per hour. Cleanliness of stove and venting (air velocity moving through stove), pellet quality, incoming air temperature, room temperature, home heat loss all contribute to consumption... So, for those reasons and more, there can be no clear cut answer for you...

What are you trying to accomplish?

Welcome...

As a ballpark, which is what your dealer was trying to do, it's probably not tooo far off. However, without taking ALL the variables into consideration, it's hard to distill your question down to simple burn rate per hour. Cleanliness of stove and venting (air velocity moving through stove), pellet quality, incoming air temperature, room temperature, home heat loss all contribute to consumption... So, for those reasons and more, there can be no clear cut answer for you...

What are you trying to accomplish?

Not trying to accomplish anything really. Everything else is explained but what those numbers means to the user...other than a warmer environment. Though, it would be nice to know that if I set it on 4, I am burning 4 pounds and hour or 96 pounds a day or about 2.5 bags a day.

Not sure if the math is right though on the pound per hour. If it is a 50k btu pellet stove, 50k btu per hour and there are about 8700 btu per pound, then (my math) says something like 5.75 pounds per hour (that would be at full throttle, at least for that stove).

I know this isn't an exact science, just trying to figure the relation of those numbers to burn rate. With temp setting I know what I am getting, usage is based on room temp.

Thanks and thanks for the welcome!

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.