Huge poplar down,from massive flooding on river.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
This monster came down on the river on my property I'm going to attempt to cut and haul river is down now.Took a hard maple with it, will cut it also.

Attachments

• pop.jpg
    pop.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 224
  • pop1.jpg
    pop1.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 235
  • pop2.jpg
    pop2.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 226
Looks like a challenge. How far do you have to move it? What's the equipment do you have and the plan?

Poplar is not very good firewood. Have you ever burned it before?

Looks like a challenge. How far do you have to move it? What's the equipment do you have and the plan?
Will cut into rounds there, and split on the bank, and then haul about 300 yards.I will cut the big rounds into 3 foot sections,throw a log chain on them and the Yamaha Kodiak will pull them on the bang for the remainder cutting and splitting.

Poplar is not very good firewood. Have you ever burned it before?
I have, in a Blaze King it is good shoulder season wood, I don't really need it, but it's going to be cut,just got home from work and will start today. Can get about a 6 hour burn on a full load.

Reactions: kennyp2339
Don't you mean a 6 min. burn?
To me burning popular is akin to burning paper
maybe that is why it is used to make paper

Reactions: Dmitry
Don't you mean a 6 min. burn?
To me burning popular is akin to burning paper
maybe that is why it is used to make paper
A full load in a King Parlor will produce shoulder season heat for about 6 hours.

I have, in a Blaze King it is good shoulder season wood, I don't really need it, but it's going to be cut,just got home from work and will start today. Can get about a 6 hour burn on a full load.
I agree with you.. poplar is a great wood for the proper application. I wouldn't want to rely on if for the dead of winter or overnight burns.. but shoulder season its a great wood.. I dont like using oak.. it just burns to hot to long when you don't need that much heat

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
I agree with you.. poplar is a great wood for the proper application. I wouldn't want to rely on if for the dead of winter or overnight burns.. but shoulder season its a great wood.. I dont like using oak.. it just burns to hot to long when you don't need that much heat
Amen and then the house is too hot all the next day.

johneh, you and I think alike.

Poplar is listed at 13.7M BTU Per cord and there’s 8 wood species with less heat values on my BTU list, mostly softwoods. I heated the large 3000sf home I had back in the first year I burned wood because it was easy to get and it dried fast but this week I just gave away 3 large trees of it bucked and delivered close by just to get rid of them as part of a clearing project for a pole shed project since I didn’t have any room for it on my racks and I’m not going to make more right now. If you can’t find better wood for free and it’s not too much work to get it burn it.

Last edited:
My neighbor put out a couple big poplar rounds after The last hurricane. Never saw the tree. The were 24” plus. Nothing would split them down the middle. 8# fiskars maul— nothing, just bounced off. Really stringy. It was a lot of work just to shank pieces off the sides. I like burning it here in the south on all but the coldest weeks. I made a nice table and counter out of it. It’s light and soft and seasons really quickly. It has its place.