Hypothetical stove install- ideas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
Short background- main house built in the 50's, and a garage, front room, and upper bedrooms built onto it in the mid-70's. Under the front room is an area we call the "Bonus room", because it is not included in our sq. ftg.. This room is 11'w x 31'L, but the ceiling height is only 6'-2.5"tall. I am thinking quite seriously about putting a stove down there. It would be a corner install- which corner doesn't matter as they'd both be the same type of install. Don't worry about heating that area, because I want the heat to travel up and out, helping to heat that area under the front room. But I would like it to be a rear-vent at this point. I don't see having the height to use a top vent stove. It WILL have to penetrate a CMU wall, and then to a tee and up about 18'. No problems with that. This room will eventually be used as office space, so mega-heat isn't required- just even heat. I thought BK princess at first but the top vent probably isn't an option. Woodstock Fireview?-naw, too ugly. (just kidding. one of the best looking stoves out there) Starting from scratch, what would you do? Thanks, JB

I read it in a couple of wood stove books, in some opinion spats here, and by word of mouth.........

"Put the stove where you are likely to have the most traffic. If that's the main floor, so be it. You can always use a space heater on the lower levels. Heat does rise, of course, but most reports are that the upper floors don't really experience great benefit from a stove located in a basement. Not without special helps (fans, vents, etc..)."

-Soupy1957

Gotta agree with Soupy . . . if you can . . . put the stove where you spend the most waking hours . . . you will get the most benefit from the heat and be able to enjoy the sights, sounds and smells from the woodstove.

Thanks guys. I already have the BKK on the main floor, and as I learn it's quirks, it's heating better. The bonus room will need something to warm it up. Plus it's an exterior walkout area, so I've got windows and a door down there also. I'm not going to try to heat the house with the additional stove, just that area. I don't want another pellet stove.

Yeah, I'll personally attest to the fact that being 80F downstairs means that it's only 70F upstairs. If we keep it at 70F downstairs to be comfortable and to save on wood, it's only 60F upstairs. Expect to pay at least a 10F degree penalty moving the heat between floors. My stairwell isn't "open" per se, but there's generous double doors between each room of my downstairs so moving heat around hasn't been a problem (good old boxfan)....

Status
Not open for further replies.