I learned all about wood stoves on wikipedia today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jetsam

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2015
Long Island, NY
youtu.be
Let me share the wisdom with y'all.

1) Softwood makes creosote!

Image934947241.jpg

2) Finally, now we know what the BEST woods to burn are (oak, ash, beech). Debate's over! Be sure to cut it small enough to fit your stove's "grate".

Image1731810937.jpg

3) You can burn good hardwood and nasty dangerous creosote-making softwood together if you're cooking! Remember, pine makes creosote and lunch; oak makes heat. Or something.

Image1964834265.jpg

4) Cat stoves have a catalytic device built into the base of the stove pipe.

Image1859349758.jpg

5) Cat stoves are an old crappy predecessor of baffle stoves.

Image1654479405.jpg

NOW YOU KNOW. ;lol

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood-burning_stove

Last edited by a moderator:
I some how feel less informed now...:)

Reactions: JimBear
Let me share the wisdom with y'all.

1) Softwood makes creosote!

View attachment 222587

2) Finally, now we know what the BEST woods to burn are (oak, ash, beech). Debate's over! Be sure to cut it small enough to fit your stove's "grate".

View attachment 222588

3) You can burn good hardwood and nasty dangerous creosote-making softwood together if you're cooking! Remember, pine makes creosote and lunch; oak makes heat. Or something.

View attachment 222589

4) Cat stoves have a catalytic device built into the base of the stove pipe.

View attachment 222590

5) Cat stoves are an old crappy predecessor of baffle stoves.

View attachment 222591

NOW YOU KNOW. ;lol

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood-burning_stove
Unfortunately anyone can write something on Wikipedia... You can go and edit it to fix it for them....

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

That softwood-creosote thing is just so pervasive. I can't convince people who don't burn wood that it is a fallacy, even when they know I have been burning wood all my life. It just seems counter intuitive to them. It's like asking them the eternal question,"If you flip a coin 20 times and you get 20 heads, what are you most likely to get on the next flip, a head or tail?" Gets them every time.

That softwood-creosote thing is just so pervasive. I can't convince people who don't burn wood that it is a fallacy, even when they know I have been burning wood all my life. It just seems counter intuitive to them. It's like asking them the eternal question,"If you flip a coin 20 times and you get 20 heads, what are you most likely to get on the next flip, a head or tail?" Gets them every time.
So what’s the answer? The anticipation is killing me.

So what’s the answer? The anticipation is killing me.

Seriously? Even odds of course, 50-50. Only two sides to a coin. You could flip it 999 times and if you get 999 tails, the 1000th flip is still a 50-50 chance of getting another tail. The real long shot is getting 999 tails in a row. That is a real long shot.

Seriously? Even odds of course, 50-50. Only two sides to a coin. You could flip it 999 times and if you get 999 tails, the 1000th flip is still a 50-50 chance of getting another tail. The real long shot is getting 999 tails in a row. That is a real long shot.

Yeah: 0.5^999, my computer won't even calculate it.

Getting 20 tails in a row is one in a million...

there are three sides to a coin, the real question is how many times do you have to flip it to get it to land on its edge ;)

Reactions: lsucet
I tell folks I meet that burning pine and building lumber cut off's is BAD! So I tell them to throw them in the back of my truck and I will get rid of all that bad wood for free.

So were do I pick up a stove grate?

Hahaha, I feel like some senior member of this forum should take ownership of the Woodstove entry on Wikipedia.

Sorry man, I was only joking.
I was not serious. Just having some fun.

Well, to be fair, in the non-mobile version on a desktop, this article does have this warning at the top:

"This article needs attention from an expert on the subject."

Which only shows that being mobile has its own set of limitations..... ;)

But seriously, if you see issues, why not participate, become an "expert" and provide correct information with factual and appropriate references?

Be proactive, not just reactive.

Side note: Wikipedia is itself a "stove pipe" of sorts. Take the same article and switch languages. Say to German. If you do not speak German, run the German page through translate.google.com. You will see an entirely different article without any mention of soft-vs-hard wood. This is a major problem with so called "crowd sourcing" information. That information is often not the same in different languages, which actually disintegrates information into local, regional, and linguistic subsets. Hardly the stated claim of Wikipedia that "As articles develop, they tend to become more comprehensive and balanced.". But at least Wikipedia admits, "Wikipedia is written largely by amateurs". (source).

Last edited:
I don’t consider Wikipedia as a reputable source of any information. I’ve seen so much wrong on there that I just scroll past any Wiki search results.

Okay, I've been shamed into it and am editing out all the funniest parts now.

It is a dark day for stove-related comedy on the internet. :(

I gave it a quick once-over; y'all should take a look and edit as needed. I didn't actually add much of the missing information on modern stoves, but I did chop out the worst of the inaccuracies.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC