I see those Bixby stoves are hitting eBay lately

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowZilla

May 15, 2009
I checked it out. Bixby has several revisions 100, 110, 115 and 120's which one should I get? very good pricing going on plus several color options with either nickel trim or gold plated trim.

I've been lookin at those Bixby stoves on ebay too. They don't have any warranty when purchased on line however at half price it sure is tempting. Does anybody have any input on purchasing one of these bixby stoves on ebay without a warranty??

Thanks.

I have bought 4 115 Bixby stoves on E-Bay the last three years. Reason being someone always comes over and buys mine out from under me. People think there must be something wrong with them at that price but nope they are the same stove that sold for over 4,000.00 dollars.
The 115 is the model you see on e-bay and for 1500 it is a bargain. Especially when you get 30% back when you do your taxes.
It can be hooked up to a thermostat, Can be programmed to shut off and restart by itself or during the cold part of winter it will drop to a idle if thermostat temp is reached. It is the only stove I know of that I can start and it will run 28 days with out shutting down to clean. You can fill the hopper on the go and also dump the ash bucket on the go.
Without getting to involved you can use your computer and update the stove to the newest software plus your computer will check 47 different functions for you if you have problems. I have helped many people update there stoves using Ya Hoo voice conferencing while updating. Works well. We have helped people from Calif to the east coast and in between. Also helped people in Canada. PM me for more info.
Ron
PS the 115 is the latest model and the only new one for sale except maybe a few UBB s.

A very nice looking stove to some. The problem I see is there is no support when a problem does occur.Where do you find parts.This stove is way over engineered.You do not want problems in the middle of heating season.They just are not very dependable. When things look to good to be true there is a reason.

Personally I don't like the appearance that much but I have found them very dependable. and once you understand them they are very easy to operate.
You can buy parts from the factory unlike other companies where you are forced to go through a dealer. Company support is good in that if you do need a part they have very good easy to understand directions on how to remove and replace any part on the stove. You can hook it to your computer and perform what is called Bixcheck that will trouble shoot the whole stove for you.
You can also change the software to make it run better for your conditions as a example if you live in high altitude as Colorado or low altitude.
There is a learning curve with it versus a simpler stove but isn't any harder to get used to then driving a different model car then what you are used too.
As far as dependable I am close friends with a dealer that sells Harman and St Croix and he has as many service calls with them as anything I experienced using a Bixby. Try a Quadra Fire AE when they first came out if you want problems. They still will act up with corn.
Truthfully they do have more parts but any self start will have igniters and any self dump will have mechanisms to do that for you. These will eventually wear out.
I owned a Harman PC45 for two seasons then switched to a Quad AE then bought a Bixby in E-Bay and even though a Bixby is more complicated it is far more dependable and throws more heat then either one of the others.
As far as parts goes you can buy SKF bearings for the distribution fan for 10.00 and do that yourself, If a igniter goes they cost 110.00 about the same as a igniter for a Harman PC45. A igniter for the Quadrafire AE costs 45.00 and you will be lucky to get one season out of it. That is a big problem for that stove.
I like a stove that doesn't need to be played with and I don't want to have to call a dealer and wait on his busy schedule. How many stoves can be started once and run for 28 days nonstop just add corn and empty ash drawer?

Now I am seeing hes listing tons of them ( Bixbys ) and different pricing.. one for $1500 one for $1700 and one for $1995 and he has 10 total. I wonder whats the difference for him to charge $500 more than the $1500 Bixby ones and its the same thing too.

rona said:
Personally I don't like the appearance that much but I have found them very dependable. and once you understand them they are very easy to operate.
You can buy parts from the factory unlike other companies where you are forced to go through a dealer. Company support is good in that if you do need a part they have very good easy to understand directions on how to remove and replace any part on the stove. You can hook it to your computer and perform what is called Bixcheck that will trouble shoot the whole stove for you.
You can also change the software to make it run better for your conditions as a example if you live in high altitude as Colorado or low altitude.
There is a learning curve with it versus a simpler stove but isn't any harder to get used to then driving a different model car then what you are used too.
As far as dependable I am close friends with a dealer that sells Harman and St Croix and he has as many service calls with them as anything I experienced using a Bixby. Try a Quadra Fire AE when they first came out if you want problems. They still will act up with corn.
Truthfully they do have more parts but any self start will have igniters and any self dump will have mechanisms to do that for you. These will eventually wear out.
I owned a Harman PC45 for two seasons then switched to a Quad AE then bought a Bixby in E-Bay and even though a Bixby is more complicated it is far more dependable and throws more heat then either one of the others.
As far as parts goes you can buy SKF bearings for the distribution fan for 10.00 and do that yourself, If a igniter goes they cost 110.00 about the same as a igniter for a Harman PC45. A igniter for the Quadrafire AE costs 45.00 and you will be lucky to get one season out of it. That is a big problem for that stove.
I like a stove that doesn't need to be played with and I don't want to have to call a dealer and wait on his busy schedule. How many stoves can be started once and run for 28 days nonstop just add corn and empty ash drawer?

rona, nice post and infomation as well been using computers and laptops since 90s.. so I am sure I can get hang of it. hey rona which do you rather to burn LG Granules or do 50/50 setup by using Cubex and LG Granules mixtures. $350 for 1.5T LG ( 75 bags ) or $400 ish for Cubex.

SnowZilla said:
Now I am seeing hes listing tons of them ( Bixbys ) and different pricing.. one for $1500 one for $1700 and one for $1995 and he has 10 total. I wonder whats the difference for him to charge $500 more than the $1500 Bixby ones and its the same thing too.
that is just the ebay pricing strategy of a good seller, you list the first one cheap to get intrest and bidding going, then after people notice you and bookmark, watch, or bid, you set each auction higher hoping that word of mouth will bring more bidders/buyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.