I think im still having draft issues!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silenced38

Feeling the Heat
Apr 11, 2014
Southeast Oklahoma
Ok it was 38* saturday morning, Mid 60s in the house. Lit a small fire to take the chill off.
I left the door cracked to get the wood burning and the draft established. Fire was burning good. Till i closed the door. The fire didnt go out but was burning slow and lazily. But it was burning, So i let it go. It took forever to get the temp up to 400* and i had to put more wood in to get it to reach 450*. I started with a quarter load. At that point i cut the air to low and the secondarys lit off and burn nice around 45 minutes.
And no time during the burn could i open the door without smoke coming out.
It prolly took 1.5 to 2 hours and more wood to reach 450.
So im thinking still not enough draft or am i doing something wrong?
Note: after it reached 450 it seem like it work good. And after 9.5 hours could still dig up a few hot coals.
Thanks

How long did you leave the door cracked before closing it? On a cold stove I sometimes have to keep it cracked for awhile to get the fire really going. If your wood isn't seasoned enough it might be a problem as well. I usually don't close the door all the way until all the kindling is red coals. I have a very short chimney and I have a weak draft as well. Once it's hot it's no problem.

Next time try cracking a window near the stove. Sometimes that's enough to help a lazy draft and is necessary until it gets really cold out.

Had the door cracked around 30 minutes. Closed it after all the wood was on burning and charred. The wood is mostly pine 16% and some hickory at 20%.

Next time try cracking a window near the stove. Sometimes that's enough to help a lazy draft and is necessary until it gets really cold out.
i opened a window after awhile. when i realized that the drier was running. i was thinking mabe negative pressure.

It takes awhile to get things going with a cold stove and no coal bed...trust me on that.

Even though it was 38f out you could still have higher humidity then you might think..think dew point and the barometric pressure could be funky.

But of course you could have a weak draft period..i duuno. But just wait till it gets colder and you have a nice bed of coals all the time to see how things go..I bet you will be pleasantly surprised. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.