I was gonna buy a new saw eventually

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JamiePNW78 said:
Thanks for the file info! The dealer is super knowledgeable and the file appears to fit, so part of me wondered if the 7/32 might work. Good to know!

IMO, less filing proficiency is required when using a 7/32

How'd the saw work ?? Pull the trigger & stuff happens, was nice I'm betting :)
That's your weather for a while, get some rain gear & get that saw thru it's break in.
Sometimes, when I was in your area, I'd think snow would be much better than that misty wet & cold stuff all winter.
PS: in your signature you say your favorite wood is "easy wood"
FYI: No such thing as "easy wood", it's all work, just some is easier than other. LOL :lol:
Good job!
Great pics.

The only thing that amazes me more than how much I'd like to live there :) when I see PacNoW pics is the way they clear cut. That never happens in NY.

Great pics, thanks!!

bogydave said:
How'd the saw work ?? Pull the trigger & stuff happens, was nice I'm betting :)
That's your weather for a while, get some rain gear & get that saw thru it's break in.
Sometimes, when I was in your area, I'd think snow would be much better than that misty wet & cold stuff all winter.
PS: in your signature you say your favorite wood is "easy wood"
FYI: No such thing as "easy wood", it's all work, just some is easier than other. LOL :lol:
Good job!
Great pics.

I know the weather well. Today woulda been a much better day to cut wood though, as it's cool and clear. Yesterday felt more like hunting weather.

Regarding easy wood, I've cut it before. When my uncle was alive he'd call us when trees fell on his property. He'd use his tractor to position the logs and put blocks under them every so many feet. One guy would go down the line cutting and the other would follow and split. Then we'd back the truck right up to it.

That's pretty easy wood, for sure, with Lots of help. No wonder you remember it. :)

JamiePNW78 said:

I know the weather well. Today woulda been a much better day to cut wood though, as it's cool and clear. Yesterday felt more like hunting weather.

Regarding easy wood, I've cut it before. When my uncle was alive he'd call us when trees fell on his property. He'd use his tractor to position the logs and put blocks under them every so many feet. One guy would go down the line cutting and the other would follow and split. Then we'd back the truck right up to it.

I stopped at the local dealer a few weeks ago..They have a wall of Stihl next to a wall of Husky's. I like the Stihl MS291 (he said the 290 is discontinued and now it's the MS291) for about a hundred bucks more. He was very helpful but really was pushing me away from the 291 as a "commercial box saw" as he put it and was steering me more towards the PRO saws. I can't argue his logic with the PRO saws but I have been using my fathers MS290 and it works fine. goes through everything I have asked it too so far. I just had a tri axle load of logs delivered and nothing on there is more than 10''. The MS 290 will do just fine. IMO. However I did lose some scrounging opportunities because of not having enough saw for the tree that was down....I dunno there is a huge price difference from the 290 class to the PRO line...I don't know if I would get the payoff unless I get into big stuff often enough to warrant a PRO saw.

Steve

Great saw!! I keep seeing Stihl saws around here. Wonder why?? LOL. I'm looking at a larger saw, myself, something in the 24" bar length. Been looking at a Husqvarna 460.

ratherbfishin said:
I stopped at the local dealer a few weeks ago..They have a wall of Stihl next to a wall of Husky's. I like the Stihl MS291 (he said the 290 is discontinued and now it's the MS291) for about a hundred bucks more. He was very helpful but really was pushing me away from the 291 as a "commercial box saw" as he put it and was steering me more towards the PRO saws. I can't argue his logic with the PRO saws but I have been using my fathers MS290 and it works fine. goes through everything I have asked it too so far. I just had a tri axle load of logs delivered and nothing on there is more than 10''. The MS 290 will do just fine. IMO. However I did lose some scrounging opportunities because of not having enough saw for the tree that was down....I dunno there is a huge price difference from the 290 class to the PRO line...I don't know if I would get the payoff unless I get into big stuff often enough to warrant a PRO saw.

Steve

The MS291 sells at a price quite a bit higher than the 290 did. You can still get MS290's brand new from dealers as they are still in the distribution network. Last I checked they were $359 brand new with a 16" bar. Stihl tends to have a long overlap of old/new models. It's a lot easier to justify a "pro" saw over the 291/311/391 family than it was the 290/310/390 family with that $110 price hike but the newer saws have a much more complex engine and creature comforts never offered on the bare bones 290 and it's siblings.

I like buying new just as much as the next guy but I'd have my eyes peeled for a used 036/MS360 or MS361 on CraigsList. They are out there and $3-400 should land you one in excellent condition. They run 3/8" chain on 20" bars with ease, could do a 25" bar if you really needed to as well.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
GolfandWoodNut said:
There is a hardware store around here that is huge (a Do It Center). 3 times a year they have a sale where you can get 20 percent of everything in the store. This is a great time to buy Stihl equipment since they never go on sale. I bought a top of the line Stihl 600 blower yesterday that goes for $490 and got $100 off. If anyone ever needs a Stihl saw I might have to ship one to someone or you might want to take a drive. 20 percent is quite a deal.

What's my price on a new 660 deliverd?
Talking with the staff it is best to line things up before the sale, it is one day only 3 times a year. Obviously they sell more of the smaller saws so a 660 would definetly need lined up ahead of time (basically make sure they have one, the day of the sale you can put it on hold and the sales starts after 6pm). But if you take list price anywhere and take of 20 percent, that is what they sell stuff for. They went through 6 Stihl 600 Blowers the day I was there. I did not see a 660 on the shelf for display, biggest was a 391, but I am sure they do not sell alot of them. Mostly 290s.

I like buying new just as much as the next guy but I’d have my eyes peeled for a used 036/MS360 or MS361 on CraigsList. They are out there and $3-400 should land you one in excellent condition. They run 3/8†chain on 20†bars with ease, could do a 25†bar if you really needed to as well.

Closest I can get on CL is an 026 in good shape for 250.

Steve

ratherbfishin said:
Closest I can get on CL is an 026 in good shape for 250.

Steve

I'd do an 026 over a 290 anyday. Much nicer to run all day compared to the 290. Keep your eyes open for the 60cc+ saws. They pop up fast but get sold just as quick so you gotta be on your game.

GolfandWoodNut said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:
GolfandWoodNut said:
There is a hardware store around here that is huge (a Do It Center). 3 times a year they have a sale where you can get 20 percent of everything in the store. This is a great time to buy Stihl equipment since they never go on sale. I bought a top of the line Stihl 600 blower yesterday that goes for $490 and got $100 off. If anyone ever needs a Stihl saw I might have to ship one to someone or you might want to take a drive. 20 percent is quite a deal.

Talking with the staff it is best to line things up before the sale, it is one day only 3 times a year. Obviously they sell more of the smaller saws so a 660 would definetly need lined up ahead of time (basically make sure they have one, the day of the sale you can put it on hold and the sales starts after 6pm). But if you take list price anywhere and take of 20 percent, that is what they sell stuff for. They went through 6 Stihl 600 Blowers the day I was there. I did not see a 660 on the shelf for display, biggest was a 391, but I am sure they do not sell alot of them. Mostly 290s.

Not sure driving to Pitt is worth saving $200 . . . you gonna meet me for B'fast and cappuccino?

GolfandWoodNut said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:
GolfandWoodNut said:

Biggest saw they have at my store is a 440/441, you gotta order if you want bigger.

Danno77 said:
Biggest saw they have at my store is a 440/441, you gotta order if you want bigger.

Depends on the dealer, here. My 'local' one, I'm not even sure if they have a 441 in stock. Place sucks but it's close.

Dealer in Cobleskill always has a 660 on the shelf. Top shelf dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.