I'm Gettin' Me Some Piles !!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacffin

Minister of Fire
They be growin!:)

Wife helped me split today after I decided to stick my finger between the wood and the backstop on my spliiter.

It is smarts for sure. And it happened so fast. good thing it is not crushed or broken....just a little black and blue. I'm lucky.

Cold wind had a real bite to it today.

Attachments

• DSCN3408r.jpg
    DSCN3408r.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 154
Looks great..! and yes you are starting to pile.. up there ! Iam sure your gonna get that stuff stacked too. Oh and you know will want pic's too;)

Reactions: ScotO
Wind was brutal today. If you're down my way with something to haul with, you can have some of this willow I've got quartered up. Saw you burned pine and hemlock so thought you might be interested in some. The dirty work is all done.

Nice work Bacffin, hope the finger is feeling better. The pile on the left an in the middle, is that maple?

OUCH! (splitting horizontal or vertical when it happened? )

Piles growing up all over the place rather nicely ;)
You planted some good seeds. LOL :)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Nice work bacffin. Good to here the wife is helping you. My wife helps me when it is close to the house. Always good to have help when moving and stacking.

Does your house look like that stuff laying all over :p. Nice wood piles Bacffin !

Pete

Reactions: Bacffin
Nice work Bacffin, hope the finger is feeling better. The pile on the left an in the middle, is that maple?

Yep, left is the soft maple with it partialy stacked behind it. Middle, hard maple in front of the ash and some black cherry next to that damn stump.

Reactions: zap
OUCH! (splitting horizontal or vertical when it happened? )

Piles growing up all over the place rather nicely ;)
You planted some good seeds. LOL :)

Horizontal

Nice work bacffin. Good to here the wife is helping you. My wife helps me when it is close to the house. Always good to have help when moving and stacking.

O...she won't stack....but she's a trooper.

O...she won't stack....but she's a trooper.

;lol My wife has lots to do with the three kids so I get it all down to ready to be stacked and then she and the kids help through the rest of the job. The dogs try to help out but they..... o_O Oh wait, no they don't. They just want food. <>

Reactions: ScotO
Wind was brutal today. If you're down my way with something to haul with, you can have some of this willow I've got quartered up. Saw you burned pine and hemlock so thought you might be interested in some. The dirty work is all done.

Thanks for the offer jdp, but I have alot on my hands right now between the grapple load and the 4 cord of pine logs in the yard.

Bruce

So, because is split I can start the clock...right? Or does it have to stacked.

You can start the clock, but it's not ideal if it's not stacked. That's what grants air and sun access to all the splits and keeps it off the ground allowing more airflow. Piles on the dirt will dry on the outside pretty well, but the bulk of the mass is on the inside and will not shed moisture. Go to amazon and buy a cheap moisture reader to have a better ballpark of where you're at come next year. I'd stack em before it starts snowing however.

Reactions: Bacffin
Status
Not open for further replies.