Insulating a Wood Burner Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

J111's

Jul 4, 2022
France
Hello, first post here.

I am designing my hearth slab - to go under a Jotul F500 ECO SE.

The floor is currently bare poured concrete 2" [50mm] with steel mesh re-inforcement, which in turn sits on beams wrapped in 8" [200mm] of polystyrene insulation [attached basic drawing] and beneath that is empty space for just under 40" [1 metre] then bare soil.

I was considering merits of insulating above the concrete slab before laying the hearth - which was going to be made with 3" [6omm] pavers. If I wanted to insulate, given the stove weighs 440lbs [200kg], what would the recommended material be? or should I be re-thinking my design
thanks in advance

insulate floor.png

Wow, that is an interesting floor construction. If the F500 ECO SE only needs ember protection then there is no need for a hearth on top of the floor. If you want to use the pavers to create a hearth, that is fine, but there is no need for additional insulation. The heat should be completely diffused through the mass of the pavers and 2" concrete.

su
Wow, that is an interesting floor construction. If the F500 ECO SE only needs ember protection then there is no need for a hearth on top of the floor. If you want to use the pavers to create a hearth, that is fine, but there is no need for additional insulation. The heat should be completely diffused through the mass of the pavers and 2" concrete.

Superb, thanks for you assurance. Kind of you to reply.