Insulation between the insert and fireplace walls

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andrij

Oct 22, 2015
New York
I have an older regency r14 insert that I recently installed into an existing fireplace. I wanted to close up the gap between the stove and the brick of the fireplace. Is there any insulation that can be used to fill the gap? It is about a 6 in gap on either side. I have some leftover r13 fiberglass insulation, would that be safe? Essentially, is there any insulation that can safely make contact with a wood stove. Thanks

Use Roxul (mineral wool) insulation or micore board.

Is there a block-off plate installed at the damper area?

There is not a block off plate. That's a project I was not able to handle before winter. I hope to do it in the spring. Why do you ask? Is there some concern with that? But the Roxul looks like what I need as long as it can withstand the heat. Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

Roxul is rated for the high temperatures, 2150ºF, while fiberglass is not. You want the "comfort batt" not the sound deadening stuff.

You can also use Roxul to stuff around the liner before the block-off plate is added.

Thanks a lot of the advice. Does anyone know where I can get a small amount of Roxul? My Home depot only sells batts of 12 rolls ,and looking online has not been successful. And since I just need it for around the stove, I really don't a huge amount.

Thanks a lot of the advice. Does anyone know where I can get a small amount of Roxul? My Home depot only sells batts of 12 rolls ,and looking online has not been successful. And since I just need it for around the stove, I really don't a huge amount.

You might try a plumbing supply place . . . I bought a 3 or 4 foot piece a few years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.