Iron & Oak 26 Ton Splitter --- thank you

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotts Bum Wine

Jan 9, 2013
Western NY State
Hello all-

This is my first time posting to this forum, but I have been an active lurker for many years. I just want to take a quick moment to thank the participants in this forum for their discussions relative to several items I have purchased over the years --- most recently, and Iron & Oak 26 ton vertical/horizontal log splitter with a Subaru/Robin engine. After forty years of splitting wood by hand, and developing tendinitis in both elbows, it is a godsend to have a reliable piece of machinery to assist with this task. Input from MasterMech and GordonShumway, in a thread from last year, was particularly helpful. The Subaru 9 HP motor starts with one pull (one handed) every time, and the ram quickly chugs through the most gnarled up hard maple I can throw at it. No more throwing those knotty pieces in a bonfire for me!
Having worked in heavy-highway construction for 30 years, I have an appreciation for well made equipment, and I tend to buy industrial/commercial grade products when I can. I have better things to do with my time than to spend it repairing broken machines. This I&O seems to fit the bill. Thanks again for your help. Now lets talk about a wood gasification boiler ........ ;o)

Scott

Congrats on the splitter. I love mine. With the reviews from folks here maybe I shoudl have saved a few bucks and gone with the Robin motor. I've just had such good luck with Honda motors over the years that when it came down to purchase time I figured go with what you know.

I'm glad you enjoy your splitter. I, also, was considering the exact same beast/set up, but went with the splitter mentioned in my signature. I think we both (you and I) got tired of splitting by hand at about the same time!

Nice purchase!

The 2 times that I have rented a splitter from the rental yard it had been a I&O 26 ton with the Honda engine and I have been very impressed! When I get around to buying one it will definitely be an I&O 26 ton unit.

I have also been looking at the I&O 3 point splitter that I could mount on my truck with the PTO but it would burn a lot more fuel to operate. So who knows.

yooperdave- I was strongly considering the 37 ton splitter from Northern Tool as well. That's a powerful looking machine, and comes with a lot of nice features, like the automatic throttle-down when fully retracted, and the optional 4-way splitting wedge. Honestly, I was torn between the I&O and the model that you chose. Great minds think alike.

mking7- Is that George "Gabby" Hayes on your avatar? :D You gotta be an old dude like me to remember who he was! I appreciated reading your comments, on the previously mentioned thread, about the 26 ton I&O. I too would have chosen the Honda motor, had I not read the glowing endorsements about the Subaru/Robin. I have had good luck with Honda vehicles and also with their power equipment. Only recently have I had a Subaru automobile, and it has been superb in it's reliability, so I threw the dice and went with some advice from strangers on a message board. I also saved a couple hundred bucks. So far it has worked out. BTW, I love Texas. I have worked there a couple of times, and I find the folks there to be great people --- very friendly, much like the rural folks of western NY State or the mid-west.

Scott

loadstarken- You have a 3-point hitch on a truck? I have seen those on a Jeep, years ago, but not on a truck. Is that on your Loadstar?

mking7- Is that George "Gabby" Hayes on your avatar? :D You gotta be an old dude like me to remember who he was!

That's actually Walter Brennan. I'm not quite old yet. I'm in that "ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was" stage of life. ;)

I started out set on the 37 ton Northern splitter too. I think I'd have been happy with either but since I bought this one I'll say it's better. :)

Gee, I never realized how much Gabby Hayes and Walter Brennan (the ubiquitous western sidekick) looked alike. You got me on that one!

I am old enough where I know how most things work (including people), the young men look to me for guidance, and women now smile at me w/o feeling threatened. Fifty-something is a good age. :eek:)

Scotts Bum Wine - I don't have a 3-point on my truck yet but I'm sure I could fab up something to work with the PTO and a splitter. I have a PTO for the Loadstar in a box that will go on once I get the dump bed parts.

Back to the I&O talk I was going to mention how impressed I was with how long a tank of fuel lasted with the Honda and how quiet it was at full RPM. How is the Robin engine in this depatment?

How is the Robin engine in this depatment?​

Excellent. I can run mine for several hours at full RPM and the gas seems to go forever. I would refill once if ran it for a full day of splitting. If I'm splitting alone, I can back it off a bit and save even more fuel.​

Like MasterMech mentioned, a tank of gasoline lasts a long time. As far as the noise level compares to that of a Honda, it's hard to tell. My experience with similar sized Honda motors has been with inherently loud pieces of machinery --- plate tampers, walk-behind rollers, and deck finishing machines. The noise level of the Subaru/Robin, running in a covered area, was not unpleasant. My dogs were still able to sleep.

Scott

I love the Robin engine on my splitter, but I never run it a full RPM. Love the easy starts-I think it has a compression release.

I rented one of those in November. Nice machine! I got waaaay more done in a day than I ever can by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.