Is it worth the difference? Buck 91 v BK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

darktower007

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2018
Chattanooga
So I got a local quote for the Buck 91 for $4351 that includes complete installation including top plate and everything.

So my question is the BK princess or Ashford installed worth the $5600-$5900 installed? Can it be that much better?

I know very little about these inserts... but I’ve settled on a Cat due to low and slow burn capabilities and even heat.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The buck does not have the low/slow capabilities of the BK. No stove does. If you really value a long burn and control over burn rate from very low to high then only a BK can do that right now in an insert. In the freestanding world, some Woodstock cat owners have been able to get near 20.

It is worth the additional 20% cost to get a 100% longer burn time in my opinion.

The buck does not have the low/slow capabilities of the BK. No stove does. If you really value a long burn and control over burn rate from very low to high then only a BK can do that right now in an insert. In the freestanding world, some Woodstock cat owners have been able to get near 20.

It is worth the additional 20% cost to get a 100% longer burn time in my opinion.
Yes but the buck is a heating beast. They can really crank out the btus. I am not a huge fan of bucks but if you need lots of btus they are not a bad choice. It all depends what your needs are.

I have no experience with BK's but they are quality stoves from and lots of folks love them. I have a Buck 94NC (same stove as the 91 without a cat) and it works well for my needs. As mentioned by @bholler, it cranks out the btu's. We heat a 2145' ranch with the stove and only have to supplement during extreme cold. We're re-siding our house so that may change in a few weeks it is finished. That being said, you cant go wrong either stove.

Last edited:
So I got a local quote for the Buck 91 for $4351 that includes complete installation including top plate and everything.

So my question is the BK princess or Ashford installed worth the $5600-$5900 installed? Can it be that much better?

I know very little about these inserts... but I’ve settled on a Cat due to low and slow burn capabilities and even heat.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what it means to you I had that stove,and it plain and simple was lousy,ate wood ferociously and very little heat did I get.PS did BK's go up that much ,mine BK Parlor is in the third year burning and no where that cost. Good luck whatever way you go.

For what it means to you I had that stove,and it plain and simple was lousy,ate wood ferociously and very little heat did I get.PS did BK's go up that much ,mine BK Parlor is in the third year burning and no where that cost. Good luck whatever way you go.
Thats odd i have heard complaints about bucks but never about a lack of heat.