Is there a technical reason

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jaoneill

Feeling the Heat
that 2 year seasoned wood burns so much better than 1 year wood? I am curious.

We had a bit over a cord of 2 year wood that I got into this winter and I was shocked at the difference between burning that and the one year stuff, but what I can't figure out is why. Both 1 & 2 year are hard (sugar) maple splits averaging 3"-5" at the thickest part and what is fascinating is that a moisture meter sampling of half dozen pieces from each year show them all within a range of 12%-13% regardless when they were cut/processed. (Readings were all taken at the same time, from fresh split pieces from each year).

Any thoughts?

Reactions: twd000
Do you bring them inside at least for 24 hrs to get them to room temp? That can be a different test and can show you different results for what i understand.

Nope, resplit and tested right off the stacks in the woodshed. Heat might make a difference in reading of % of moisture but, and I could be wrong, I wouldn't think it would affect the relationship between the 1 & 2 year stuff under the same environmental conditions.

well I learned that here in this site. You should bring it to room temp, split it and measure MC if you want a more accurate reading.

I am not saying that you reading are not realistics, is just i know that always when somebody ask about MC of their wood, that is what many members recommend for a more accurate reading.

Reactions: KimiBwoah
I would expect two year seasoned wood to be drier than one year seasoned wood and that it would burn better. Which is what you have experienced. Put your moisture meter in a cupboard, you don't need it for wood you know is seasoned.

Reactions: Wickets
Dryer is better.

The problem that you may be running into is that burning wood has way to many variables to account for one specific variable. Wood density related to the tightness of grain will change the way it burns. External wind and atmospheric conditions will change the draft.on the stove. Heating load in the house will vary the operation of the stove.

I can't answer your question, but definitely share your opinion. I was burning 1.5 year wood all winter. Got to my one year old stuff last week and it's terrible. I'm pretty much done burning. I don't want to just plow through this stuff. So I'll save it for next year and let lp handle the days in the 50's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: lsucet
You could do another test to roughly estimate if the 1 and 2 year wood is at different or the same moisture content.

Put a container like a garbage can, crate or similar on a scale. Now fill it with 1-year wood and record the weight. Do the same with 2-year wood. Repeat several times. Are the weights roughly the same or different? Wood with more moisture will weigh more.