It’s starting to get cold

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WiscWoody

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2011
Winter WI
A4BEE26C-9BAC-4DB8-AB53-D30A7C40D812.png
Our forecast for the next 9 days has a few days that won’t climb above zero and one that will be only -10 for a high. Good woodburning weather!

It is going to be cold for a few days these are the days when your stove earns it keep!

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
I honestly don't know what we would do without the stove supplementing the oil furnace. It was so cold this weekend I had trouble keeping the house at 68 with the furnace working too.
Then today it is 50 with 1.5 inches of rain.

Good luck!

I would rather have the 111 geoff1969, but I’m a hot weather person. I like the thermostat reading Wolf1022008, we keep a warm house usually 75 to 76. But it’s not unheard of for rooms near stoves to hit 78, sometimes the basement gets to 80 that can be a little much. The far bedrooms for my little girls are right around 70 but my oldest daughter has a bed full of blankets and stuffed animals. She could sleep in the garage with her setup and stay warm. The youngest has just as many blankets in her crib. I don’t get it you would think the house is freezing.

Reactions: Wolf1022008
I hear ya! I have to go to Hayward in a bit. I think I’ll start the car and let it warm up some before I go. A remote starter would be nice about now.... _g I woke up to 55 in the house at 5 and the stoves been going for 3 hours now and it’s 65 in here now. A few more degrees and I can level it off some. I like it cool in the house. 68 or so is good for me and they say it’s easier on the shell of the house in these extreme temps.

PS- I have a cool -15 out now but on the radio they said it’s -33 in Bemidji Minnesota where the Mississippi River starts out as a small creek so we’re not so bad here after all lol.

Last edited:
I hear ya! I have to go to Hayward in a bit. I think I’ll start the car and let it warm up some before I go. A remote starter would be nice about now.... _g I woke up to 55 in the house at 5 and the stoves been going for 3 hours now and it’s 65 in here now. A few more degrees and I can level it off some. I like it cool in the house. 68 or so is good for me and they say it’s easier on the shell of the house in these extreme temps.

PS- I have a cool -15 out now but on the radio they said it’s -33 in Bemidji Minnesota where the Mississippi River starts out as a small creek so we’re not so bad here after all lol.
I like a cool house but the wife not do much.she's part of the reason I put in a wood stove.-33 that's about time to put on a coat

Reactions: WiscWoody
Good to see all the Wisconsin guys on here. I’m from hudson have a cabin near Webster drive thru miltown on way up. We’ve kept the cabin open all winter, wife’s up there this week keeping stove going. Looks like next week is going to put a dent in wood supply.

I bundled up this morning and brought a few trailers of wood up to the house and boiler shed for the cold snap. -15, calm and sunny felt almost warm in comparison to the -10 with 30mph winds of yesterday. I don’t really pay any attention to what wind chill is because I think it’s a silly measure but im guessing that’s getting down there.

Here’s to sticking it to the fossil fuel man through the cold snap :cool: Might see -30 next week _g Bye bye wood!

Good to see all the Wisconsin guys on here. I’m from hudson have a cabin near Webster drive thru miltown on way up. We’ve kept the cabin open all winter, wife’s up there this week keeping stove going. Looks like next week is going to put a dent in wood supply.
Webster is just a bit east of me here in Winter. I was good friends with the family that owned and ran The Hudson House hotel and restaurant years ago and I used to go through Hudson every weekend when I still lived in the twin cities, on the way back home I’d hit I94 in Baldwin and take that to 494 to 35 to the south burbs and vise versa on the way up. I sure am glad I don’t do that weekly trip back and forth anymore. :)

Well Im down here in North East Texas, it got down to 28 yesterday and maybe up to 45 today, those are regular F temps we use F here so we understand the temp. Next week maybe down to 25 at midnite, I brought up a load wood (on my back seat of gold cart) from my tractor shed,
Much colder and I will plug in the heater for tractor engine. Had frost on windshield this morning, it took 5 minutes to defrost so I could see out.
Im tired of winter.

Cold snaps like this and next week are nothing new in WI. Now those crazy almost 70 deg. days back in the mid70,s and rain storms in the early 80's in Jan. were strange. With 5-8" snow predicted Sun-Mon-Tue.,30+mph winds and Neg. numbers temp wise it is going to be one mean weekend/ beginning of next week . Feb. not noted for a ton of snow- but March though April can be a real nasty mess even into May sometimes as things warm up a bit and we get that wet heavy sticky snow followed by a cold blast that freezes it into unmovable drifts - short of a jack hammer. On the good side no blood sucking bugs the size of sparrows to deal with. Need to dig my way back to the honey Locust and some more red/white oak, 1/2 the Mulberry is gone now.

Reactions: Wolf1022008
On the good side no blood sucking bugs the size of sparrows to deal with. Need to dig my way

back to the

Well a couple weeks ago when it was pushing 30 the mosquitos were out in the snow, I'm thinking this week should do em in

mes.jpg

I ask myself why I live in WI twice a year; now and then again in June when the mosquitos take over.

Some if you upper midwesterners may hit -30, -40 this week, that's freaking cold.

I would rather have the 111 geoff1969, but I’m a hot weather person. I like the thermostat reading Wolf1022008, we keep a warm house usually 75 to 76. But it’s not unheard of for rooms near stoves to hit 78, sometimes the basement gets to 80 that can be a little much. The far bedrooms for my little girls are right around 70 but my oldest daughter has a bed full of blankets and stuffed animals. She could sleep in the garage with her setup and stay warm. The youngest has just as many blankets in her crib. I don’t get it you would think the house is freezing.
What's the humidity level? Got a humidifier this year and upper 60s with mid 40s humidity is very comfortable. Whereas last year, low 70s felt cold. Started drying my laundry on hangers in my stove room too to save energy and add humidity.