It’s starting to get cold

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The humidity level is any where from 25 to 35 we have a humidifier, and depending how hard we are burning changes the level.

Cold here in the fox valley too.Hopefully this cold puts a dent in the tick population this summer. Cant remember the last time we made it this far into January with as little snow on the ground as we've had this year. Probably make up for that in march and april. Should be over the winter hump in another 2 weeks, spring still seems a long ways off tho.

Reactions: Dtcryan
Topped off the garage wood rack for later this week, NC30 is mia from home depot, new cat in the BK with an additional pipe damper installed so she's actually working really well. I'm ready for what ever mother nature throws at me

View attachment 239047 Our forecast for the next 9 days has a few days that won’t climb above zero and one that will be only -10 for a high. Good woodburning weather!
I hear ya northeast Ohio will experience cold that hasn't been seen in 25 years,good to know my stove can perform and wood supply is plentiful. All burners stay warm it's going to be miserable ,especially for those that may get stuck outdoors working,if people can stay on the road i might get lucky.

Reactions: heavy hammer
I carried in a few more large locust rounds just to make sure I'm covered for the week. The Kuma and Summit are ready.

The humidity level is any where from 25 to 35 we have a humidifier, and depending how hard we are burning changes the level.

I can run two humidifiers in the same room and it wont change a thing so finally i just gave up. Pain filling them every day and cleaning them every 4-5 days anyways.

Pain filling them every day and cleaning them every 4-5 days anyways.
when i fill mine I just add a small splash of bleach, keeps everything clean, once a month I'll clean the actual humidifier base, damps paper towels and more diluted bleach.

It's starting to get fun.
59fc1a0ea66eda68829c1cb60c8138d8.jpg

I'm sure everyone here is ready for the cold. By Sunday it is back to almost 40 here, cold for a few days.

Reactions: wendell
Sorry to all suffering the cold. I'm ready for spring because it's here, we may drop brlow 32 for a day or 2 at night but this has been the worst non-winter I can remember, up here north of Seattle, wa.

Reactions: Rhodie
My old buddy seems ok with the -32 outside. As long as he can stay right where he is!
6A2BBC0D-4A43-4681-BE12-1EA2E73E1A7D.jpeg

I had -33 when I got up to pee at 5am but it has warmed up to -29 now with a windchill of -60. I haven’t been outside since last Friday now but I’ll have to go out for wood today.

I worked outside for a little today the temps were right around zero, but that windchill was somewhere from -10, -20. Not a fun day, all the while my two labs were inside next to the basement stove. They are camped near it as I type. Who has it better?

Thursday morn at 7:15 was my low point of -31. House was at 70. A 101 degree differential. Imagine if your AC had to do that.:eek:

Thursday morn at 7:15 was my low point of -31. House was at 70. A 101 degree differential. Imagine if your AC had to do that.:eek:
That’s when vapor leaks can lead to frost on the outer envelopes of the house then possibly mold but you hope for the best and that doesn’t happen. Did you boil some water and go out to throw it in the air and make instant snow?

Last edited:
AHHHH finally. Back to normal temps today and worked outdoors with just a flannel shirt. Sunny and just a slight breeze, feels like spring after this mornings' sub zero wakeup.

Reactions: pjohnson
We hit 20 today what a difference that makes. supposed to be 50 Sunday.

We are back to very cold again, I have -22 now but it’s supposed to go above 0 today for the first time in days. I’m waiting for warmer weather so I can get my skid steer going again... I think a relay went out on it and it’s sitting in a neighbors driveway now.:confused:

Last edited: