Jotul C550 Rockland Insert height requirements

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cozy_Home

Aug 22, 2021
Massachusetts
Hey everyone. First time posting here but didn’t see anything quite related to this question.

I’m about to purchase a Jotul C550 Rockland insert. I was just looking at dimensions and it shows the opening height requirement is 23 3/4”. Due to the slightly uneven bricks on the floor of the fireplace, my opening is mostly 23 3/4” with one low spot in the center at 23 5/8” or maybe even closer to 23 1/2”. Think it will still fit? How true is that 23 3/4”? There is a lintel across the top which keeps me from making any adjustments on the upper. Once past the lintel, the height inside the fireplace opens up quite a bit.

thoughts?

23 3/4" is the minimum and that would be tight. The high spots may need to be ground down a bit.

I just measured my 550. I didn’t pull the surround but pretty confident that the exact height is that 23 3/4 figure. Sorry about that.

Got it. Thanks! Gonna have to see what I can figure out. Will be so bummed. I’ve always wanted this insert. We just moved to a new place and I was sure it was gonna fit!

What about bust out the bricks and pour some concrete at a lower height. Otherwise put the lintel in higher. I know my 550 had leveling feet on it. Maybe remove these if they are part of the overall height measurement.