Jotul Oslo...builds too many coals?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigh. This is not as easy as I first thought 4 years ago. I have an Oslo, and the firebox is way wider than it is deep. So, to stack logs going both ways would mean having 2 different lengths in stock, yes?

At this point, I will try going through the 3 steps in the cycle. As it is, that's kinda what we of overnight. I stuff around 8 isn, and get up around 5:40. At that point, there is usually coals left to re start, assuming there is an ash bed in there. Most of the problems come on the weekend, when we're around to constantly be putting in a piece or 2.

Actually it sounds as though you're burning correctly on your overnights . . . most folks would say that's a very desirable overnight burn. Now all you need to do is basically the same thing as when you're kicking around the house on the weekend -- load it up and run it as you would for an overnight burn and avoid the temptation to just keep loading a stick or two at a time during the day.

If it's on the warmer side and a full load is not desired for the heat output then you can just do a partial load . . . and when its gets down to the coaling stage (sooner rather than later with a partial load) reload on to the coals. Just avoid the temptation to reload too often and too soon . . . running in cycles is what these stoves do best.

These EPA stoves with the insulated fireboxes are prone to leave alot of coals. Especially when you are pushing the stove hard so its not just your stove.

I have noticed with my Drolet Myriad that with its not so well insulated firebox there is not as much build up of coals but it seems to always have enough coals to get another load started.
I think it has something to do with the fact this stove does not hold the heat in the fire box like more insulated fireboxes do.

If you google how to make charcoal you will pick up on why more insulated fireboxes build up more coals.

Reactions: gyrfalcon
Sigh. This is not as easy as I first thought 4 years ago. I have an Oslo, and the firebox is way wider than it is deep. So, to stack logs going both ways would mean having 2 different lengths in stock, yes?

At this point, I will try going through the 3 steps in the cycle. As it is, that's kinda what we of overnight. I stuff around 8 isn, and get up around 5:40. At that point, there is usually coals left to re start, assuming there is an ash bed in there. Most of the problems come on the weekend, when we're around to constantly be putting in a piece or 2.

Nope, can't do that. The dirty little secret about wood stoves is that you can't get totally consistent heating the way you can with a boiler/furnace and thermostat. Depending on how cold it is, and how cold you are, resist this impulse. I do it sometimes when it's super-cold out, but knowing I'll pay the price with extra coaling. Otherwise, you have to live with the ups and downs of the room heat as the burn cycle works its way along.

Charcoal is the product of high heat and low oxygen. Keep throwing new wood on top of half-burned coals, and that's the inevitable result.

Reactions: Huntindog1
Charcoal is the product of high heat and low oxygen. Keep throwing new wood on top of half-burned coals, and that's the inevitable result.

Yep ,as it the ability of the fireboxes to retain high heat and burn the smoke that allows you to turn the input air to low levels. These stove are designed to burn at very low levels of input air and thats why you can not burn green wood in them as you can get enough air flow thru these EPA stove to burn green wood like the old stoves of the past.

Yeah, they occasionally touch the glass, and make a nice big black mark, but that's easily fixed. We regularly burn hot enough so the stove keeps the glass pretty clean. When it does get clouded with soot, a quick wipe with a damp paper towel clears it right off.

I came to the conclusion last night that yes, it's the way we burn on the weekends that's causing the issues. After some thought, I realized that in the evenings, and particularly in the mornings, we burn precisely as described by jotulBe2.

I just checked this wood with my MM. Yeah, it's pretty wet. About 20%, and the piece of white birch was all soft and punky. Honestly, I don't use the MM much. I tend to take a guess based on how long the wood's been sitting there, and then do a test burn. I think the problem lately is that I've been taking the back row. I had 4 rows stacked, spaced, with the ends facing into the sun. I'm now taking the 3rd row back that probably didn't get a lot of sun, and not as much airflow. There you go.

Interesting note, though. Last night, I took a few pieces from a younger pile, and tested them. They came in much drier, from 14-17%. They also burned much better. And, they've been top covered since they were stacked. So, I'll be hauling some of that up to the house next, and possibly re stacking that other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.