Just Another Day at the Office

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
Cooler today and, more importantly, much less humid!
IMG_8741%20(1280x718).jpg

IMG_8742%20(1280x718).jpg

IMG_8743%20(718x1280).jpg

He's back, great pictures quads. Started to cool off this way, tonight in the 50's.

zap

I like your fiskars Quads ;-)

Shawn G said:
Thanks! It's my last name: Archibald "Tarzan" Fiskars

Boy quads, you are right about this weather. Much, much better and more enjoyable out there working. I'm tearing down a shed and I put it off all last week just because I didn't want to work in that sauna type air.

Backwoods Savage said:
Boy quads, you are right about this weather. Much, much better and more enjoyable out there working. I'm tearing down a shed and I put it off all last week just because I didn't want to work in that sauna type air.
I don't usually cut wood in the really humid weather, and today was a very nice change! It was still kind of warm milking the cows though.

quads said:
Shawn G said:

I thought you was a knuckledragon or is that Lee?

How do you buck up that whole trunk laying on the ground without dragging your chain through the dirt? Rick

I'm also enjoying the weather. I headed out when it got down to 85, it seemed like it was 70 (probably because it was high 90's the last few days). I got a full cord of white oak and sugar maple cut, and got the oak hauled; the oak should come out to 3/4 cord (on top of the 3 cords of red oak I've already hauled out of there).

It was getting dark, I was on my last cut, cutting in the crotch of a down tree, it looked like the part I was cutting was just going to roll right down off the other piece, it was pulling apart nicely. But murphy's law kicked in, that's what I get for thinking, it kicked back and pinched my bar (2nd time this week, it's been a bad week for that). I didn't feel like dealing with it in near dark conditions so I just took the powerhead off and left the bar in the woods overnight.

There's always tomorrow (I needed to put a different chain on anyways so it'll all work out ok).

CountryBoy19 said:
I'm also enjoying the weather. I headed out when it got down to 85, it seemed like it was 70 (probably because it was high 90's the last few days). I got a full cord of white oak and sugar maple cut, and got the oak hauled; the oak should come out to 3/4 cord (on top of the 3 cords of red oak I've already hauled out of there).

It was getting dark, I was on my last cut, cutting in the crotch of a down tree, it looked like the part I was cutting was just going to roll right down off the other piece, it was pulling apart nicely. But murphy's law kicked in, that's what I get for thinking, it kicked back and pinched my bar (2nd time this week, it's been a bad week for that). I didn't feel like dealing with it in near dark conditions so I just took the powerhead off and left the bar in the woods overnight.

There's always tomorrow (I needed to put a different chain on anyways so it'll all work out ok).
I hate it when that happens!

fossil said:
How do you buck up that whole trunk laying on the ground without dragging your chain through the dirt? Rick
I sort of 'feel' the chain in the wood; over the years I've gotten so I can tell when the chain is cutting to the edge of the log. Sometimes there is still a whisker of bark on the bottom that I didn't cut through which snaps off when I kick the round. But, I really don't worry about the ground too much in the warm weather because their isn't much dirt under the logs, it's all old rotting leaves and grass. When the ground is frozen though, I try to be extra careful because even the slightest touch takes the point off the cutters.

smokinjay said:
quads said:
Shawn G said:

Ya, that's me! I'm that too, and proud of it!

- Archibald 'Tarzan Knuckledragon' Fiskars

quads said:
smokinjay said:
quads said:
Shawn G said:

Ya, that's me! I'm that too, and proud of it!

- Archibald 'Tarzan Knuckledragon' Fiskars

I like it.

quads said:
Backwoods Savage said:
I don't usually cut wood in the really humid weather, and today was a very nice change! It was still kind of warm milking the cows though.

Ya. Milking was always awful in the humid air. Then when it finally gets to a lower humidity, you still feel it once you get the cows in the barn. Worse yet is after a rain. The tails get wet and I need not tell you what happens then....

Backwoods Savage said:
quads said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Ya. Milking was always awful in the humid air. Then when it finally gets to a lower humidity, you still feel it once you get the cows in the barn. Worse yet is after a rain. The tails get wet and I need not tell you what happens then....
You know it Dennis!

quads said:
...Archibald 'Tarzan Knuckledragon' Fiskars

I think you oughta figger out how to incorporate "Paul Bunyan" into that handle somehow. :p Rick

fossil said:
quads said:

I think you oughta figger out how to incorporate "Paul Bunyan" into that handle somehow. :p Rick
Ha ha! I ain't got no big blue ox though! A few dozen black and white ones.

quads said:
fossil said:
quads said:

Ha ha! I ain't got no big blue ox though! A few dozen black and white ones.

Just git ya a big can or two of that "Cow Brite"...you can make 'em any color you want to. :lol: Rick

I'm with Quads -- just milk the sucker! ;) :)

Haha!

You just knew I had to get some more mileage with that line Quads!

Backwoods Savage said:
The tails get wet and I need not tell you what happens then....
Ja, hated that. I just pulled the tail in between the udder and the leg. Still, with the humidity, you sure felt it when your forehead was up close and personal, hand stripping them after milking.

I haven't touched a single split of firewood all Summer. I was going to renovate the partially emptied side of the woodshed this year before I fill it back up but I might put it off until next year.

LLigetfa said:
I was going to renovate the partially emptied side of the woodshed this year before I fill it back up but I might put it off until next year.

Why, were the tenants complaining?

Status
Not open for further replies.