Just got permission to pilfer 24 acres ! Need wood ID Please...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, Just spoke to the new owner of a 24 acre lot next to my property. He gave me permission to take anything I want ! First tree to come down is this one. Its large (36 in diameter) but I managed to take a branch off for ID purposes. Any idea what I have here ? Thanks ! Joe

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 191
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 182
Reactions: PA Fire Bug
I'm thinking it is some kind of Maple? Does it have any particular smell to it? If it is Hickory it would smell like manure, Maple wouldn't have too much odor. Whatever it is it looks like good stuff and you've hit the JACKPOT there my friend!!!

Looks alot like black walnut if you ask me. Does it have a 'new furniture' smell to it? BW has a distinct smell to it.....

Black walnut usually has a thick band of sapwood around the darker heart, just like yours in the picture.

Reactions: weatherguy
I have some of that exact wood, thought it was maple but I think Scotty might be right.

The heart has more of a reddish tint than Black Walnut,even younger wood.Looks like a hickory,bark reminds me of Mockernut to be exact.

Reactions: Hickorynut
Nope, its not walnut. No nuts on the ground and it does not smell like walnut. I'm thinking some species of Hickory. Its on a very wet plot of land and there are other hickory trees around like shaggbark. It's old and distressed. Looks like it may have been hit by lighting years ago. There's some charing on one side and the trunk seems to be hollow. I'm going to drop it regardless. Wood is dense and hard. At least a cord worth. Should burn well once its seasoned up ! Joe

Reactions: ScotO
We don't have much Hickory this far north and zero Mockernut, and it is just not quite right for Hard Maple so.........Final Answer........ Hickory.

Reactions: ScotO
Yep, if it ain't got that 'fine furniture' smell, I'll agree it's hickory.......get all you can, but be prepared for it to take a good while to season.....2 or more years, to be exact. It's well worth the wait, though.

Butternut? That's a guess...but looks dang close.

Status
Not open for further replies.