Just how avaliable are PE stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harley said:
MountainStoveGuy said:
Now i do get in a bit of trouble when i have a few hundred stoves left over.. like this year :(

Yikes!!!! :ahhh: That's a lot of inventory to hold onto this late in the season!

Yep. Wouldn't want to be MSG in the Monday morning meeting.

MountainStoveGuy said:
no offenst to the PE owners on here, but the rave and hype is local to hearth.com. I have looked at them, and they seem to be fantastic quality and the design seems solid, but industry wide, there is NO buz about PE. I think what kills them is the high cost for a steel stove when there are so many competitors in the market. Like i said, based on the opinions on hearth.com i realy hope they get bigger, can step up production and lower cost. If i had PE in my show room, it would be a hard sale at twice the cost of a quadrafire, the ROI would never come around before the stove wore out.
One thing i like about PE, is the enamel colors. Thats pretty unique to a steel stove.

Twice the cost of Quadra-fire? Not around here, Buffalo NY. Pacific Energy Summit is around 2,100 for gold trim, pedestal, ash pan, blower. For Quad-fire model 5100 is around 2,500-2600 easy. Avalon Olympic, this sells for 2800-2900 (no blower, etc), How about Lopi Liberty (same no blower), 2600 hundred dollars. Hearthstone Mansfield, 2500-2600 (no blower either)

Pacific Energy is the best deal around here, however only 1 dealer in Buffalo NY area. The problem with this guy is that he does not have any burning stoves when you walk in the store, just brand new ones. Most Avalon, Lopi, Quadra-fire and Hearthstone dealers have most if not all of their models burning when you walk in. I guess this guy that sells Pacific Energy sells emough that he can get away with it

MountainStoveGuy said:
we dont like to make our customers wait :) We have over 60 stoves on display.
that is the peak inventory, thats after all preseason orders have shipped, right before the season.
it doenst take much to get those numbers.
take jotul for example
6 different stoves
5 different finishes
if you order 2 of each model in each color thats 60 stoves, we order more then that but you can see how fast it adds up. We carry 3 major lines, like in quad we carry 2 fireplaces, 6 woodstoves, 3 gas stoves, and 3 pellet stoves, and they have more colors then jotul. that preaseason is at least 200 stoves all by itself.
we are fortunate to have 100,000 square foot warehouse and can afford to sit on what we dont sale. Bottem line, we can sell for less and you dont have to pay shipping.
Now i do get in a bit of trouble when i have a few hundred stoves left over.. like this year :(

60 stoves on display? Please come to Buffalo NY, please!!!!!!
Sounds like you have an awesome store, you must kick ass with business!

i had the impression that PE was more, and quad is less (at least my retail) they seem comparable in price. The millnium series quads prices are hard to beat. If you compare it to a 5700 there comparable.

I waited 1 week for my Summit to come in to dealer. Not bad to me. Waited longer for the liner from elsewhere.

Ha ha ha ....... Ya'll having fun.

I see a lot of "off" information here being thrown around and its not from anyone dealing with PE or owning PE .

All my information and backing of PE is from over 16 years of wood burning and also the use of different stoves.

ALSO

When your life's work is in steel and steel fabrications like mine then it gives you an extra keen eye to quality and workmanship.

I wouldn't back a product like Pacific Energy if the stove didn't perform as well as it does and if it didn't have the top quality and workmanship that it does .

Hell boys , don't take my word for it , ask any Pacific Energy owner out there.

Anybody can sell stoves and make metal boxes but when your looking for high quality and even a Lifetime warranty to back it then PE comes through.

Let me tell you something about lifetime warranty ...............

When you make a high quality product like Pacific Energy does Lifetime warranty is just a show ........... Its a show that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside and gives you that feeling that if its got a lifetime warranty to back it then it MUST be high quality.

The flip side is when you make a high quality item like PE stoves its easy to offer Lifetime warranty because theres going to be no issue to have a warranty.

I do the same thing in my steel fabrication shop , I offer a lifetime warranty on my work and that tells people that I'm serious with my workmanship and i back it for a life time.

Do i keep my promise to lifetime warranty ? YES I DO ! Do i have any work that come back to the shop on items that i built that needs warranty work ? NO ! I have a lot of business come back but in the last 10 years I have only had 1 item break and come back under warranty work. There is a story behind that but with no questions asked , it was fixed and sent on down the road.

Just because one company is bigger then another doesn't say chit about quality. Harbor Freight is a huge company but when you sell low quality at a low price you can become big , again , it doesn't make Harbor Freight items quality because there big.

I'll stay with "you get what your pay for" and go with high quality and a great word of mouth.

Ask any Pacific Energy owner ..........Any problems with quality ? any problems with performance ? Did you get what you paid for ?

You know my answer.

No debate needed .............just my o2¢

The 5700 Millineum series stove around here is 2,400 dollars. The Pacific Energy Summit is 1,700 (black finish, no blower, pedestal, ash pan, etc). I can't believe they are so cheap here compared to everywhere else. The 5100 quadra fire insert is 2,900(blower included, no gold trim) around here, I was wrong in my previous post. Ouch, I am glad my 5100 quad fire with gold trim was in my house already when I bough it last year, over 3 grand is pretty good buck to spend on an insert. it is a sharp insert however and burns very well. Not as well as my Summit so far. I do plan on tinkering with the Quadra fire mpre next fall/winter to see how long of a burn and can get with good heat (since I am planning on using my 2 stoves as the primary source of heat.

Roospike said:
Ha ha ha ....... Ya'll having fun.

I see a lot of "off" information here being thrown around and its not from anyone dealing with PE or owning PE .

All my information and backing of PE is from over 16 years of wood burning and also the use of different stoves.

ALSO

When your life's work is in steel and steel fabrications like mine then it gives you an extra keen eye to quality and workmanship.

I wouldn't back a product like Pacific Energy if the stove didn't perform as well as it does and if it didn't have the top quality and workmanship that it does .

Hell boys , don't take my word for it , ask any Pacific Energy owner out there.

Anybody can sell stoves and make metal boxes but when your looking for high quality and even a Lifetime warranty to back it then PE comes through.

Let me tell you something about lifetime warranty ...............

When you make a high quality product like Pacific Energy does Lifetime warranty is just a show ........... Its a show that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside and gives you that feeling that if its got a lifetime warranty to back it then it MUST be high quality.

The flip side is when you make a high quality item like PE stoves its easy to offer Lifetime warranty because theres going to be no issue to have a warranty.

I do the same thing in my steel fabrication shop , I offer a lifetime warranty on my work and that tells people that I'm serious with my workmanship and i back it for a life time.

Do i keep my promise to lifetime warranty ? YES I DO ! Do i have any work that come back to the shop on items that i built that needs warranty work ? NO ! I have a lot of business come back but in the last 10 years I have only had 1 item break and come back under warranty work. There is a story behind that but with no questions asked , it was fixed and sent on down the road.

Just because one company is bigger then another doesn't say chit about quality. Harbor Freight is a huge company but when you sell low quality at a low price you can become big , again , it doesn't make Harbor Freight items quality because there big.

I'll stay with "you get what your pay for" and go with high quality and a great word of mouth.

Ask any Pacific Energy owner ..........Any problems with quality ? any problems with performance ? Did you get what you paid for ?

You know my answer.

No debate needed .............just my o2¢

From One Summit owner to another, I can't believe what a great stove I have, and all for about 500 hundred dollars more than my teeny tiny (but a good burn) Pendleton Avalon with no ash pan, blower or gold trim

I think if more people owned a Summit or any other model from Pacific, they wouild quickly become a believer!!

wow, im missing something :) here is a quote from another web site. I think PE needs to get some advertising in and capture some of that market share. I can identify with you PE users.. i love my mac too! ;)
"I bought a Pacific Energy Summit fireplace insert in Dec. and it works great. I loaded full of oak and there's coals in there for 3 days after letting the fire burn out. Its great. It pumps out the heat too. The digital therm. stops at 99.99 degrees in the room. "

I won't knock another quality stove. Quad, VC, Regency, Lopt, Heartsone etc.
All I can say is I am happy with my insert. Not knocking the others, just praising my own. And there is nothing wrong with that.
I guess theres just more PE owners praising their stoves than others.
Stop the insanity :)

Interesting thread. Ya know, before a new dealer opened up here that happened to handle PE we were pretty much limited to Regency, Napoleon, Lopi and some of the big-box brands like Century. Never seen a New Englander. Quad? What the heck is that? VC? Heard of them, but nobody deals them here.

Now, you've got to take into account that most of y'alls is from south of our border, so part of this equation is that a lot of the brands that are often mentioned on the forum are either not imported to Canada, or at least not as far north as I am.

Speakng of which, and realizing the temps we often see here, P.E. really has no competition, at least not "locally". Now before y'alls jump on me, remember, part of that is that other brands are just not available for comparison. But that being said, I, and many of my fellow local woodburners have all been burning for years, and all agree that after experiencing PE, we'll never bother with anything else.

As far as availability, our local dealer keeps a few display models, and a couple in the warehouse, but otherwise, it's order and get it in about a week.
Another interesting thing I've noticed is that, pricewise, prices that most of you are quoting are identical to here, but keep in mind, your's are in US$, mine in CDN, so in real terms I'm paying less, but I suppose a lot of that has to do with shipping. I dunno.

It's hard to argue with consumer satisfaction, especially when it comes from experienced steel fabricators and wood burners located in cold climes. I have a pretty good BS meter, and I sincerely believe that these must be very good stoves....even though they are not sponsors of Hearth.com (maybe they should be!).

Of course, at this rate they will always sell out and don't need any advertising.

Hogwildz said:
I waited 1 week for my Summit to come in to dealer. Not bad to me. Waited longer for the liner from elsewhere.

Maybe if they used round wheels instead of those square ones you cave guys are still stuck on....it would have been faster. :p

Well now, seems we have a challenge. Anyone out there willing to throw themselves on the fire of dispute. Does there exist a PE owner, current or past who thinks there stove is not the ultimate answer to heating or wood burning???? Come on step up, I'll lend you the nomex suite I use, promise I'll clean it first.

Let's ask the industry??? If you sell PE's do you own or use one????

How many warranty calls, service calls, and just plane dumb owner calls do you all get???

If you own one, and have courage to run with the bulls, what don't you like about the stove, or what are you disappointed with???? Note you can not use the fact that one split doesn't burn for 24 hours.

And my last question is, "If they took your stove away would you in fact show your loyalty by throwing yourself on your sword and committing suicide???"

UncleRich said:
Well now, seems we have a challenge. Anyone out there willing to throw themselves on the fire of dispute. Does there exist a PE owner, current or past who thinks there stove is not the ultimate answer to heating or wood burning???? Come on step up, I'll lend you the nomex suite I use, promise I'll clean it first.

Let's ask the industry??? If you sell PE's do you own or use one????

How many warranty calls, service calls, and just plane dumb owner calls do you all get???

If you own one, and have courage to run with the bulls, what don't you like about the stove, or what are you disappointed with???? Note you can not use the fact that one split doesn't burn for 24 hours.

And my last question is, "If they took your stove away would you in fact show your loyalty by throwing yourself on your sword and committing suicide???"

Personally I wouldn't trade my stove for their whole years production.

So I am not qualified to answer the questions.

Here, here Wilhound
I have had Avalon, Quadra-Fire, and now a Pacific Energy Summit. I love all three of these stoves. With some time and effort you can make any stove fit your needs, tinkering here and tinkering there. You have to really, really love your wood stove and do more than just throw the wood in it and walk away. My little Avalon pumped out enough heat to keep half my home toasty, and I mean toasty warm. This came with practice and thus came the 8 hour burn which I think is very impressive for such a small firebox that my Avalon had.
I do love my Summit, it really pumps out the heat and very long burns. I have not even found her "sweet spot" yet so I am sure this stove can do a lot better (See Roospike, Hogwildz, et al.)
So we all defend our stoves and get attached if you are a true wood stove lover. Thus my signature.....below

I'll step up, but in no way is this knocking PE or my Summit.
I'd like to see the baffle possibly designed a bit differently.
It has the jets that shoot forward, works real nice. My question is, I wonder if they can reposition the bottom jets to shoot horizontally across the top side to side, front to back. With the jets blowing straight down, it does work, maybe too well. They actually burn holes in the top layers of splits at each spot where the jet is. Seems to cause a slight premature burn. But then again the splits are glowing orange under where each jet is, so its also helping burn the splits. No easy answer.
I am just picturing in my mind the jets having l shaped tubes going down & turning horizontal, like I said front, back, east, west. That way it still burns the gases but not directly into the wood.
Maybe even diagonally like the tube baffle design. But then the issue would be hitting the 'L" shaped jets while loading to top for overnight burn.
Anyhow, my only other complaint would be for a larger fire box. Something around 5cf :)
I am happy with my purchase, and would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

MountainStoveGuy said:
we dont like to make our customers wait :) We have over 60 stoves on display.
that is the peak inventory, thats after all preseason orders have shipped, right before the season.
it doenst take much to get those numbers.
take jotul for example
6 different stoves
5 different finishes
if you order 2 of each model in each color thats 60 stoves, we order more then that but you can see how fast it adds up. We carry 3 major lines, like in quad we carry 2 fireplaces, 6 woodstoves, 3 gas stoves, and 3 pellet stoves, and they have more colors then jotul. that preaseason is at least 200 stoves all by itself.
we are fortunate to have 100,000 square foot warehouse and can afford to sit on what we dont sale. Bottem line, we can sell for less and you dont have to pay shipping.
I would be interested in getting a price from you on two different wood stoves. Let me know how to contact you!

i currently have 2 englander stoves in my home, the wood unit is a 24-ac catalytic unit i have had since 1993, still works as well as it did when i first lit it, replaced applied ceramics catalyst in 2005 other than gaskets this was only item that was replaced. the other is a 25-pdvc pellet unit , installed in dec-2004, no problems with it either at all, either unit will heat my entire home. the pellet unit gets the bulk of the use now as my wife (and i) prefer the pour a bag, push a button ease to the loading of wood and lighting the stove manually, i run the wood unit in power outages and on occasion when i wanna play with a log fire (pyro at heart) both units (not each) total cost retail just over 2k. granted i am biased (i build these stoves) but BTU for the buck, i'll stack em up against the crowd.

Oh Mike, Mike, Mike,

You aren't throwing down a challenge to the PE pool are you? Seems they are the only stoves deserving a cult following.

I have never bought a new burner, so I can't equate dollar invested with satisfaction, but I must admit I am very satisfied with my older stove. In fact, both are in current production with improvements, but speak for the quality of design and functionality. Sort of a, "IF it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality. I think England Stoves take the same approach.

So my question is who owns a stove that they are happy with and have had for "years" and wouldn't trade for a comparable PE.

stoveguy2esw said:
i currently have 2 englander stoves in my home, the wood unit is a 24-ac catalytic unit i have had since 1993, still works as well as it did when i first lit it, replaced applied ceramics catalyst in 2005 other than gaskets this was only item that was replaced. the other is a 25-pdvc pellet unit , installed in dec-2004, no problems with it either at all, either unit will heat my entire home. the pellet unit gets the bulk of the use now as my wife (and i) prefer the pour a bag, push a button ease to the loading of wood and lighting the stove manually, i run the wood unit in power outages and on occasion when i wanna play with a log fire (pyro at heart) both units (not each) total cost retail just over 2k. granted i am biased (i build these stoves) but BTU for the buck, i'll stack em up against the crowd.

When I started this post I found a lot of dealers listed but very few had any for display They all claim they can get them in a resonable time period. Somes listed like Franklin Fire place did not even know they were a PE dealer I think the distributor listed all his dealers as potential PE dealers

Status
Not open for further replies.