Just how avaliable are PE stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

edited due to my own lack of completing the dealers search engine by not selecting a town

Further calles to dealers in my area that are listed,, few have models in their showrooms but they can order them

Only one delers within 50 miles had a left over Vista to look at but they can order in what you desire
some towns like franklin list the northeast distributor. I know they are the only stove dealer in the town and they never sold a PE product and did not know the town was listed

They're good stoves. Personally I hate the baffle system in them. There was a cash and carry dealer here sold them for about 10 years. He went out of business last year. On this board there are a couple of very vocal members that make them seem like the best thing since sliced bread. Nothing wrong with pride in ownership. Simply put though we're seeing brand loyalty and that's that. There is nothing superior about the PE to any other steel wood stoves.

Elk,

What happened to your computer? I did a search just last week and there are about 20 dealers in NY (not exactly New England, but close). Moreover, I tried the website just now and there are about 5 dealers in Vermont (definitely NE), about 10 in Massachucetts, and 3 in Rhode Island.

So there are plenty dealers here if you need one.

Good luck

CarpNiels

PS. It looks like you are using the search engine wrong. You have to choose country, state AND then use the fold down menu for the city. Otherwise it will not give you any results.

Elk, did you get you computer working yet ;-)

I guess it all depends where you are, up here in the great white north there are PE dealers on every corner...well just about I have 4 within 1hr drive of me.

If there is no local dealer and your not comfortable ordering and having it shipped then you should buy something else I guess.

Woodstock is a co that comes to mind, I have seen you recommend them....where are their dealers?

Ok I tried the drop down city list which I had not before the towns nearest me is Franklin but they bump me to a Northeast distributor in NH So I tried the next closest Norwood Ma they carry the line, but have none in stock but they can order them. The owner says he has sold 2 the past couple of years and one was to his brother in law

PE is thin around here. There is one dealer in boulder, and none in the denver metro area. I was talking to the rep a few months back about getting the line, when he informed me that there was a dealer in my area already. The dealer at the time was not on the manufactures website. I went and talked about PE at the dealer last week, and he stated that it was a slow line for him. I have no doubts that PE is a fantastic stove, just not sure how fantastic they are compared to quad when you look at the price difference. You can get a 55,000 btu quad for $1100. The dealer stated that he was having a hard time in the boulder market because of the local quad dealer and lopi dealer. I love to see small companies succeed. I hope that they pick up and get some serious market share, but at the moment, there rare to find in peoples home around here.

Most stoves are not stocked at our local dealers. Our Jotul was drop shipped from a warehouse in Nevada I think because we wanted the blue-black enamel. Took a few days. Our next door neighbor's PE Spectrum Classic arrived in less than a week. This seems pretty normal. I would think for a dealerto carry a full inventory of new stoves (not floor models) the cost would be quite high. Our local dealer only has about 5 stoves in stock and most of them are gas units.

we stock every thing we carry in almost every color. At the peak of the season i have 500 stoves in the warehouse.

Whoa, thats a lot of stoves. You couldn't fit 20 stoves in our little local store.

In no way is PE quality in debate here what is questioned is availability? Actual floor space to physically examine them.

what is missed is PE is a small company located ov Vancouver Island Making shipping more differcult.

I could only find one dealer in town (Richmond, VA) that can get them, and he said he just doesn't stock them because they never sold too well. That kind of surprised me since people seem to rave about them.

no offenst to the PE owners on here, but the rave and hype is local to hearth.com. I have looked at them, and they seem to be fantastic quality and the design seems solid, but industry wide, there is NO buz about PE. I think what kills them is the high cost for a steel stove when there are so many competitors in the market. Like i said, based on the opinions on hearth.com i realy hope they get bigger, can step up production and lower cost. If i had PE in my show room, it would be a hard sale at twice the cost of a quadrafire, the ROI would never come around before the stove wore out.
One thing i like about PE, is the enamel colors. Thats pretty unique to a steel stove.

Say it isnt so!
Are you window shopping or looking at PE for your next stove?
I hope VC doesnt lurk here :)

Oh the humanity

Attachments

• hindenburg.jpg
    hindenburg.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 770
babalu87 said:
Say it isnt so!

Oh the humanity

Thanks for posting the pic babs. I had completely forgotten about them having that PE stove on the Hindenburg.

BrotherBart said:
babalu87 said:
Say it isnt so!

Oh the humanity

Thanks for posting the pic babs. I had completely forgotten about them having that PE stove on the Hindenburg.

Huh?

The availability has a lot to do with the distributor. In my coverage area we don't have a lot of holes where you would have to drive more than 50 miles. Keep in mind PE concentrates on wood stoves only so a dealer needs to go elsewhere for gas stoves and fireplaces. Many dealers end up with quad or lopi/avalon that have a 1 stop shop. Pacific changed their baffle from mild steel to stainless steel around 1994 or so. This has eliminated and I mean eliminated baffle warping. Incedentally baffles were covered under warranty no questions asked if they failed.

I have sold in my retail store, quad avalon regency country buck and pacific on and off since 1992. I like PE the best. That being said all of that list are excellent stoves.

Another point is think of quad, regency and lopi/avalon as Ford, GM and Chrysler

PE is a smaller family owned company. Think Saab or Porsche etc. They are not as big a company as the big 3 thus the dealer coverage will not be as good.

i dont think the performance difference is like GM vs porche. Sure there built well, but so are alot of stoves. The performance is not that far off expecially to justify there price tag.

MSG are you comparing a plate steel Quad to an enameled PE....I know that the PE's are a bit more maybe $2-300, but nothing huge.

You can get your 55,000btu quad for $1100 US DOLLARS
I can get a super 27 at 72,000btu for $1600 CAD DOLLARS($1354us) Not really a big diff $$ wise

I think it's a regional thing.

Gunner said:
MSG are you comparing a plate steel Quad to an enameled PE....I know that the PE's are a bit more maybe $2-300, but nothing huge.

You can get your 55,000btu quad for $1100 US DOLLARS
I can get a super 27 at 72,000btu for $1600 CAD DOLLARS($1354us) Not really a big diff $$ wise

I think it's a regional thing.

good to know! i thought most were in the 2k range. :)

Yes, you can get in the $2,000 range real fast if you get the biggest stove they make and start throwing enamel on it with gold and nickel trim.

By the way 500 stove inventory is mindblowing :gulp: most places around here order everything in, takes 1 or 2 weeks. Maybe 20 stoves in the shop 1 or 2 as display burners.

we dont like to make our customers wait :) We have over 60 stoves on display.
that is the peak inventory, thats after all preseason orders have shipped, right before the season.
it doenst take much to get those numbers.
take jotul for example
6 different stoves
5 different finishes
if you order 2 of each model in each color thats 60 stoves, we order more then that but you can see how fast it adds up. We carry 3 major lines, like in quad we carry 2 fireplaces, 6 woodstoves, 3 gas stoves, and 3 pellet stoves, and they have more colors then jotul. that preaseason is at least 200 stoves all by itself.
we are fortunate to have 100,000 square foot warehouse and can afford to sit on what we dont sale. Bottem line, we can sell for less and you dont have to pay shipping.
Now i do get in a bit of trouble when i have a few hundred stoves left over.. like this year :(

MountainStoveGuy said:
Now i do get in a bit of trouble when i have a few hundred stoves left over.. like this year :(

Yikes!!!! :ahhh: That's a lot of inventory to hold onto this late in the season!

Status
Not open for further replies.