Largest Viewing glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Congrats , I have the same kind. Feel free to start performance thread dedicated to the stove . I feel we have enough people here to chime in . There is always something to learn about the stove and the fire management. BK owners have great one . We don't .

This year it wont get much use because its a second house that will become our primary after the summer. so far its great, except for the blower issue. I had it off and it popped the breaker... scared the crap out of my kid...lol

Nice install . And you are going to benefit greatly from the fact that its internal chimney. I have one that internal as well. All the masonry absorbs a heat and give it back gradually after. I'm trying to ran the fan as little as possible. The stone above insert gets really hot if blower is not on. Up to F150 measured with IR gun. Surround gets to F250.

I read some of the threads. Seem as though ash really get in there quickly.
Ash and the likelyhood of premature failure due to lack of protection against flames. I think it's the only cat cat stove in production without a flame shield..

I read some of the threads. Seem as though ash really get in there quickly.
I'm on my 3rd year and still don't get what clogged cats they are talking about. One member managed to clog it after one year. I guess it depends on your fuel and burning habits. The first year I've used Bio Bricks , no ash at all. Now with real wood with bark etc I see some. Lot of variables there.

I'm on my 3rd year and still don't get what clogged cats they are talking about. One member managed to clog it after one year. I guess it depends on your fuel and burning habits. The first year I've used Bio Bricks , no ash at all. Now with real wood with bark etc I see some. Lot of variables there.
I think a lot of people get in there and stir the fire like a fireplace, and/or shovel ashes on a regular basis and have a real strong draft.

Ash and the likelyhood of premature failure due to lack of protection against flames. I think it's the only cat cat stove in production without a flame shield..
One day I put my own flame shield and see how it's going to work. BKVP advised not to do it since it has to have science based hole sizes, placement , etc. But it unpleasant to watch flames going straight to cat with full load of oak. Just looked at my buddy's ELITE 33 fireplace. In hybrid flame has to go around baffle. there its just cat hanging in upper part with no prtotection

One day I put my own flame shield and see how it's going to work. BKVP advised not to do it since it has to have science based hole sizes, placement , etc. But it unpleasant to watch flames going straight to cat with full load of oak. Just looked at my buddy's ELITE 33 fireplace. In hybrid flame has to go around baffle. there its just cat hanging in upper part with no prtotection
I know. The cats aren't typically prone to failure by degradation, but I suspect the wash is burned off of them and people don't even know if they are still becoming active.

I have to say its been going since this afternoon and the house is warm. I have a fan blowing on the insert to move some air but I have no complaints so far...except for the blower popping the breaker...

Have you figured out what caused it? Sounds like the thermostat wire terminals were touching something. If so, the rheostat is also likely fried.

Have you figured out what caused it? Sounds like the thermostat wire terminals were touching something. If so, the rheostat is also likely fried.

rheostat was shorted out of the box and caused the breaker to pop.

If reading with an ir gun, what temps should I be looking for on the outside?

So the fan is now online?

Since it's a flush unit it's hard to say what a normal temp would be. The face is going to run cooler than the stovetop, but I'd expect to see 400-600 degrees on the face near the top.

So the fan is now online?

Since it's a flush unit it's hard to say what a normal temp would be. The face is going to run cooler than the stovetop, but I'd expect to see 400-600 degrees on the face near the top.

It's working now. The glass is running 375 and the surround is at 200- to 250 depending on the spot I take the reading

I don't think the glass will give an accurate reading. Try the face of the stove around the door.

The surround is about 250.
Maybe there is a confusion of terms here?
The surround is the sheet metal panel that fills in the gap between the stove and the fireplace opening. The face is the boxed out area around the door. Try to shoot your thermometer in a gap around the face, somewhere that's the actual body of the stove.

Maybe there is a confusion of terms here?
The surround is the sheet metal panel that fills in the gap between the stove and the fireplace opening. The face is the boxed out area around the door. Try to shoot your thermometer in a gap around the face, somewhere that's the actual body of the stove.

My mistake. It's 250 on the metal piece that sticks out slightly and surrounds the door.

Do you have cat thermometer probe installed?. I thought they come standard now.
You can't really rely on a temp of faceplate or surrround. It's hotter when blower is off. You want to know the temp of actual top of the firebox. It's hard with flush insert. I was shooting with Ir gun between grills that above the door . Then I got remote probe and placed it on topif firebox , made life much, much easier

I thought they came with one too but the installer didn't see one in the box. I guess I can call the manufacturer and see. Was it had to install?

We are a Lopi dealer, I've never seen a Lopi with a cat probe thermometer...

We are a Lopi dealer, I've never seen a Lopi with a cat probe thermometer...
My friend just got ELite 33 fireplace and it has cat probe installed . The air control is a joke on this thing . The lever goes like 1 inch left and right . He assumed its only on or off position when using it.

My friend just got ELite 33 fireplace and it has cat probe installed . The air control is a joke on this thing . The lever goes like 1 inch left and right . He assumed its only on or off position when using it.

I've been pointing the IR inside the top where the aire comes oiut and its been about 220

Well cool, I guess.
We've really backed off on Lopi lately due to lack of support and ownership of problems and parts failures. We do a fair amount of their non cat inserts. No hybrids or Gas units since they switched to all IPI and won't own any of the issues and constantly send reversion kits for the units that have "all the bugs worked out" ..,