Largest Viewing glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
With the hybrid stoves the cat acts more as a scrubber for the exhaust after it's already passed through the secondary combustion system. They won't sit there on low while the cat does all the work like a traditional cat stove. Although, the Woodstock hybrids seem to do well on low.

Lesson learned. Either it got to be hot or just bypass if you need low heat..

Lesson learned. Either it got to be hot or just bypass if you need low heat..

I'm pretty sure you don't want to leave the bypass open after the cat has warmed up.

What about loading less wood?

This is what I do. It works great but of course doesn't last as long but really isn't bad. Mainly to keep more coals alive so the wife has something to easily start a morning fire if need be. Also I won't turn the fan on on it unless the rooms down the hall are getting cooler than I want. Yeah the stove room is warmer but that's to be expected just have to play around and find what's best for you.

Lopi Rockport

I wouldn't use poplar for this because it doesn't leave good coals after to restart the fire. Although if you home and can reload why not. Burns bright and quick .

I wouldn't use poplar for this because it doesn't leave good coals after to restart the fire. Although if you home and can reload why not. Burns bright and quick .

Of course if you have properly seasoned wood it's not a big deal to do a cold start. I make sure I have my fire starter and two or three smaller splits well placed (no kindling). I light it and walk away for 5 minutes at which point it's usually just starting to come "on the pipe". Five more minutes and it's blazing.

When all I had was partially seasoned wood I avoided cold starts like the plague. Now I avoid partially seasoned wood like the plague.

Hey, it's not a cat probe it's just a K type probe I placed on a top of firebox behind grills . Best thing ever . I didn't want to drill a hole in a firebox as well. I connected it to cheap meter from eBay , works just fine . Now I don't need to guess about temps . And it's easier for my wife to operate now based on readings. 9 v battery goes a long way for it.

Thank you! You find it works well for you? Is there any other site besides Ebay that sells them?

Thank you! You find it works well for you? Is there any other site besides Ebay that sells them?
Lot of places sell them . I went with this one because of looks . Lot of them lool like voltmeters with pins sticking out front. My wife wouldn't tolerate it.

Congrats , I have the same kind. Feel free to start performance thread dedicated to the stove . I feel we have enough people here to chime in . There is always something to learn about the stove and the fire management. BK owners have great one . We don't .
I'm wondering has this been started?

I am not sure if a performance thread has been started, but I would be happy to participate. I am in year 2 with the stove and pleased overall. There was a bit of a learning curve, even after all of my research, but the biggest and most important factor with the stove is DRY Wood! Dry wood produces good heat, keeps the cat clean, keeps the glass clear, and makes the stove easy to operate.
I did have some issues including a warped plate above the tubes (and not from over firing) but poor quality metal. Travis did make it right but I was still charged labor for install.