Learned something new while splitting today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
Yesterday I decided to split the remainder of the hickory that we had cut down in December as my cross training day. I'm placing the rounds on the splitter, pulling the lever, and tossing the splits onto the pile, all fat dumb and happy. I place a smaller round (thank goodness) onto the splitter, split it and get ready to slip it because it didn't split all the way (stupid stringy hickory) when I realize that the tip, up to first knuckle, on my third finger on my left hand is pinched in the split. I pull, nothing. I try to open the split using my other hand, nothing. I pull some more and still nothing but now it's starting to hurt. I finally grab my hatchet and put the blade in the split and pry it open just enough to get it out. Still tender today but I wear it as a badge of honor.

I've tried to post pics but they won't transfer from Photobucket, I'm not sure why. I'll try again later.

IMG_0741.jpg

fv

Ja, I've had a split close back and pinch a finger. I blacken at least one fingernail a year, if not that way then while stacking.

I'm guessing you have a space character in your folder name on PhotoBucket and this board can't deal with spaces.

Sounds like pain fireview. I've been splitting some shagbark, no problems except with the bark falling off I stop and save all the wood borers for my father in law to use ice fishing. No ice to speak of so Im basically waisting my time.

Yeah, I've done it enough times that I've become quite patient with my splitter. I've also done it a couple of times when splitting up some kindling by hand...think it's split and I can pull it apart, so take out the hatchet, and YEOWCH! now what do I do? Hurts, fer sure. Rick

Left thumbnail is black right now from exactly this from about 4 weeks ago. Split a piece of red maple with the Husky, opened right up, but when I was grabbing the split (as the ram returned) my thumb was in the crack and the split came back together on my thumb - way back at the rear of the split and lots of pressure on the digit. Road the ram most of the way back with thumb in intense pain until I realized I had to bring the ram back to open the split again in order to release my thumb. Just getting the feeling back in my thumb (just below the nail) now, as that was where I took the most pressure from the split. Real painful and still hurts quite a bit. Kept splitting for the rest of the day though - had to curse/laugh it off! Cheers!

fossil said:
I've also done it a couple of times when splitting up some kindling by hand...think it's split and I can pull it apart, so take out the hatchet, and YEOWCH! now what do I do? Hurts, fer sure. Rick
I've never caught a fingertip on kin'lin but had it pinch some skin. I wear gloves now.

I was splitting with my dad some time back now. It was an old dead Oak we had just fell and a light rain was beginning to fall so we were in a hurry. My dad is always push push and "just one more" type of guy. Well as we were rushing I learned a lesson. When you split an Oak log with the end of your thumb between the back plate and the log, it does more than hurt, it smashes it. I don't know if anything I've ever done has hurt so bad. I used a drill to make some holes through my thumbnail to release the pressure. In the xray I had smashed it into 8 little pieces. Now I have an ever present reminder with my mis-shaped thumbnail. If dad is ever around, keep my eyes open and be careful. Just the year before we were out also cutting another Oak and as he was cutting I moving the pieces. He turned to say something to me while holding the saw and not thinking, he caught the same thumb. Luckily I was wearing gloves and it ripped through the glove and only got my nail but it tore most of it off. I don't do much wood with him anymore.

Ouch!!!

Methinks most folks who have split wood has at one time or another pinched a finger of some flesh. Just seems to happen sometimes.

Dumb things happen when you least expect them. Luckily there was no real damage from this incident. About two years ago I was splitting some nasty twisted oak that failed to split and got stuck on the wedge. When I backed it into the stops it shot off like a rocket. Silly me had my left hand on the end of the split and it smashed my hand pretty hard against the bottom of the splitter. Felt like I hit it with a hammer and left me bruised even though I was wearing leather gloves. Even after seeing it happen with my own eyes I still have a hard time believing what happened. You won't catch me resting my hand anywhere in the line of fire again.

MAN OH MAN, I hope you are OK. Ice it for sure. Thats exactly what happened to me yesterday, but I caught all 4 fingers on the left hand.
Same thing, I couldn't open it at all. I actually laid it back on the splitter and did a Gumby move and reached across my body with my right hand to pull the lever.
My fingers were literally flat for a few seconds!

I was actually embarrassed to post about it, thinking I was the new guy who has no common sense.
Whew! I glad I'm not alone.

Yep, it's fine, a little tender but fine. I figured I wasn't alone as I am sure just about everything that I encounter someone on here has an answer to the problem or experience the same thing. Too many years of experience no to.

fv

Status
Not open for further replies.