Log Lifting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait a darn second... you do all that by hand to "show it to the man" but then you load up the rounds in your truck... :confused:

Well, it'd be a boring 4 min video. It takes about four minutes to go thur the log. That's a 16" diameter or so. I use my elbow to finger tip to mark the length 19". I take a hatchet and remove the bark where the cut will start. Run it slow to start the cut. For the first third you feel like a hero cause your flying. Then you get to the middle third and that seems like nothing is happening. Then it just gets easier til you are thru. I dont fly thru cause I don't want to wear my self out. After a few logs worth you really adjust you motion. Economy of motion, spreading the work of pushing and pulling from just the arms to you legs, hips, and abs. When you get your whole body worked into the motion you can really do it for a good while. Just like jogging. Then you do it again. You stop when you think you have three more left in you. Live to fight another day! The part I don't like is wrestling the logs onto the buck.

It's a great sound, The saw, and you can still hear the birds. The other reason i use these kinds of tools is because I am a stay at home dad with a 2 and 4 year old. These tools let me work just yards from we're they play.

Wait a darn second... you do all that by hand to "show it to the man" but then you load up the rounds in your truck... :confused:
I don't own a truck. Logs arrive by a big old dump truck, though. Then it's up to me and my peavey. I certainly don't do it "show it to the man". I do it because I like it, and it feels a bit like cheating because I do it without having alot of other gear. Money is not flowing out my ears and if I can manage to process all my wood for the cost of a old peavey, maul, Froe, used hand saw, and used hand cart ($140 in all, spread that over years) then I feel pretty good about that too. Cost, challenge, excersize, ability to do it with little ones around are a few reasons.

I live near Waldons old stomping ground, but I only process wood like him. I have lots of modern comforts though, don't worry! Isn't indoor plumbing the bomb!

Reactions: Ashful
Looking for some advice about chain hoists, block and tackles. I need to purchase one. I have my new pile of logs in the back of the property that I need to start processing. I use a 4' one man saw, and a 6' two man saw to buck the logs. I want to be able to roll the logs to a poll with a block and tackle to lift the log so I can lower it onto my saw buck. Any one have any thing to offer on the subject?
In old photos I've seen rigs made of two tall wheels with an axle just the right diameter between them that serves as a capstan. Rope attaches to log and goes around axle. As rig is rolled forward log is dragged forward and rises up. I suppose ideally the capstan would be on bearings with a ratchet so the log could be raised with a lever while the wheels stay stationary, dunno, just speculating from grainy photos.

Reactions: Ashful
Apparently I can't read. I thought it said "The part I don't like is wrestling the logs onto the truck".

I don't own a truck. Logs arrive by a big old dump truck, though. Then it's up to me and my peavey. I certainly don't do it "show it to the man". I do it because I like it, and it feels a bit like cheating because I do it without having alot of other gear. Money is not flowing out my ears and if I can manage to process all my wood for the cost of a old peavey, maul, Froe, used hand saw, and used hand cart ($140 in all, spread that over years) then I feel pretty good about that too. Cost, challenge, excersize, ability to do it with little ones around are a few reasons.

I live near Waldons old stomping ground, but I only process wood like him. I have lots of modern comforts though, don't worry! Isn't indoor plumbing the bomb!

View attachment 94148

Mount this to a splitter....
I just picked up this model at ChinaFreight:
image_18656.jpg

We're going to weld the base to the left side of our splitter just inside the fender:
cater2-jpg.64786

Reactions: smokinj
Looking for some advice about chain hoists, block and tackles. I need to purchase one. I have my new pile of logs in the back of the property that I need to start processing. I use a 4' one man saw, and a 6' two man saw to buck the logs. I want to be able to roll the logs to a poll with a block and tackle to lift the log so I can lower it onto my saw buck. Any one have any thing to offer on the subject?

Thanks.View attachment 93743
Where can you buy a pile like that and how much does it cost? Thanks.....

In your neck of the woods, it should be free! Weren't you hit worse by Sandy than us?

<-- still daily driving past piles of downed trees, left by road crews and non-woodburning folks with property

Holy smokes. Didn't realize anyone had made any more comments on this post. I got a dump truck load for $200 from a tree company. 2.5 cords-ish I guess.

OK. So I am back after a self imposed exile. I didn't want to come back unit I had lifted them logs. So here is what I came up with. After a bathroom project my wife insisted come first. So I was not sure about how well I could construct a safe crane to lift the logs, so I went with a big 'ol lever. I saw a smaller version done for lifting rounds. I scaled it up a big. I have a few more things to do to it to make it better but so far its helping me get the job done.

Oops. I don't thing the pic worked. Anyone wanna fill me in on how to insert a pic into the body of my message?

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2013-11-07-11h06m38s43.png
    vlcsnap-2013-11-07-11h06m38s43.png
    589.8 KB · Views: 222
Log on Buck

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2013-11-07-11h11m45s30.png
    vlcsnap-2013-11-07-11h11m45s30.png
    606.7 KB · Views: 223
Wow! A cross between ancient Egypt and Little House on the Prairie.

In your neck of the woods, it should be free! Weren't you hit worse by Sandy than us?

<-- still daily driving past piles of downed trees, left by road crews and non-woodburning folks with property
Yeah like three days later I scored a nice batch of black locust and a mother load of red oak..... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.