Looking to power my Blower on Napoleon 1100 C during power outages

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Beamerz

Nov 4, 2021
Mass
Hi,
I've got a Napoleon 1100 in my small house with a blower that is needed to heat as this stove is shielded all the way around. I'm open to any ideas or tried and true methods but I'm thinking of an inverter with a deep cycle battery? Here is a picture of a replacement fan for this stove . I am a woman who understands heating with wood as it's been my fuel of choice for almost 50 years but I don't understand electronics and batteries and such very well. I'd like to get an "oversized" inverter so I could run other small things off of it. I've tried researching and it seems sine wave is superior. Much we buy that gets made in the east is not high quality and as this is So important I'm looking for the best inverter or other methods you might think would work. Thanks if you can help! I love this shielded stove because you can sit close to it but when the power goes out, even with the door open it doesn't do much heating.. We just had a power outage and I'm plotting and planning to get through whatever may come!

Thanks in advance... Beamerz

Napoleon Blower.JPG

If you have the budget the small Honda generators are top of the line. The thing about generators in general is they sit unused 95+% of the time. The need to be maintained during this period. I have not researched cheaper alternatives to the Honda but I want one. I want to see if a 1500-2000 watt inverter could replace my 3800W noisy cheap one I got years ago and have never really used. Other than to dust off, gas up and start when a hurricane get close.

Reactions: Beamerz
Hi,
I've got a Napoleon 1100 in my small house with a blower that is needed to heat as this stove is shielded all the way around. I'm open to any ideas or tried and true methods but I'm thinking of an inverter with a deep cycle battery? Here is a picture of a replacement fan for this stove . I am a woman who understands heating with wood as it's been my fuel of choice for almost 50 years but I don't understand electronics and batteries and such very well. I'd like to get an "oversized" inverter so I could run other small things off of it. I've tried researching and it seems sine wave is superior. Much we buy that gets made in the east is not high quality and as this is So important I'm looking for the best inverter or other methods you might think would work. Thanks if you can help! I love this shielded stove because you can sit close to it but when the power goes out, even with the door open it doesn't do much heating.. We just had a power outage and I'm plotting and planning to get through whatever may come!

View attachment 284704
If you have the budget the small Honda generators are top of the line. The thing about generators in general is they sit unused 95+% of the time. The need to be maintained during this period. I have not researched cheaper alternatives to the Honda but I want one. I want to see if a 1500-2000 watt inverter could replace my 3800W noisy cheap one I got years ago and have never really used. Other than to dust off, gas up and start when a hurricane get close.
Thanks for your reply. We have gas gernerators but they are located at the other end of the house and only run refrigerator and a few lights. I'm looking for something independent of that so that if I needed to run it longer term I could be assured of the heat with a quiet source at night. In reading some of the reviews on the foreign built inverters on Amazon, I'm reluctant to purchase but don't see any alternatives for a quiet ( I'm hoping) solution. I'm looking for ideas on how to set up an inverter if anyone has done this . I live on an island so fuel supplies other than wood are not something Im putting great faith in and as we are past hurricane season I'm just concerned about Winter storms.. that could last and last and last.. ya know? Thanks for your reply.. it is so appreciated..

You would want an inverter gen. I bought probably the smallest one made. Being china made,I did the "normal" thing, oil and gassed it, ran it unloaded, then loaded, for a bit(as recommended by others on the net), then changed the oil. Have used it 2 times since then, my pellet stove runs flawless on it. And,if I wanted,I could run the computer, and the receiver for my net. If it does not last,don't really care,as not using it for life threatening issues. I got it last year for 150 bucks,black friday sale.

Thanks for that reply. I checked out the little gas inverter generator and it does look like it would be a good lightweight portable solution for many things. I was hoping to find a way to charge a battery to run my wood stove fan so I wouldn't have the noise when we sleep. I also bought ( 2) 12 v rotary cooling fans that are smaller than the wood stove fans in diameter ( I think they were to cool off amps) but they look like together they would do a similar job at moving the air up the back of this shielded stove.. I just don't know exactly how I could do it.. Stirring the pot here.. thanks for any and all feedback.. this is how we get even more ideas for solving problems! Thanks.

How about a Ford 150 lightning EV. That’s on my list.

More seriously a larger APC backup is what you want. You run the fan on low I’m just guessing for 12-24 hours. If you had a full sine wave generator you could then recharge it. Having 2 1500VA units like these could cover most situations. It’s not a great solution for days without power. But you have the generator and could make it work if you have to.

Buy 3 and and have one run your Internet and tv too!!

Make the surround easily removable. Let that heat out without mechanical assistance! At least more of it sooner. Just a thought.... Dunno.

I built a setup with 2 golf cart batteries wired together to make a 12V unit. I purchased a Kreiger 2KW 12V inverter to give me 12V power for fan blower motor, coffee pot, refrigerators, etc - not big load items like AC or stove, but I can handle a microwave. A few limited tests on it shows that it works. I have a trickle charger which I have on 24/7 unless I'm going to use the unit, where I simply disconnect the cables from the inverter and plug in the trickle charger. I'm sure there are more sophisticated units and strategies available, but I wanted simplicity so that I can plug in limited electrical devices to run during power outages. It's sits on an old movers dolly on a homemade wooden frame to keep the battery and inverter separate and secure. The wooden frame rests on the old mover's dolly so I have mobility of the unit.

I too was interested about how long I could power a blower fan during power outages (frankly it was one of my main reasons for building this). If I have done the math properly, I can run for quite a long time - many days.

The next "phase" of this project is to close the loop charging-wise with a solar-powered battery charger/tender. If this concept works, I might considering putting in a professional system like this for the house!

A sine wave inverter will not be that important for the blower motor. However, efficiency will be. Inverters can range from 80-90+% efficiency, the rest is lost to heat. Battery capacity will be the limit so you want the least current loss possible over time. How long are you expecting to power the blower on the battery? If you are talking days it will require some really big batteries.

Another option to greatly reduce losses would be to buy a 12v fan to blow across the stovetop. They are made for boats and trucks commonly and use much less power. This fan uses 10watts.
Amazon product ASIN B086TVGYR4

Last edited:
Thanks for that reply. I checked out the little gas inverter generator and it does look like it would be a good lightweight portable solution for many things. I was hoping to find a way to charge a battery to run my wood stove fan so I wouldn't have the noise when we sleep. I also bought ( 2) 12 v rotary cooling fans that are smaller than the wood stove fans in diameter ( I think they were to cool off amps) but they look like together they would do a similar job at moving the air up the back of this shielded stove.. I just don't know exactly how I could do it.. Stirring the pot here.. thanks for any and all feedback.. this is how we get even more ideas for solving problems! Thanks.

More seriously a larger APC backup is what you want. You run the fan on low I’m just guessing for 12-24 hours. If you had a full sine wave generator you could then recharge it. Having 2 1500VA units like these could cover most situations. It’s not a great solution for days without power. But you have the generator and could make it work if you have to.
]https://www.costco.com/cyberpower-1...greenpower-technology-.product.100277321.html[/URL

Last edited:
For batteries you should keep them above 22F and off a concrete floor. Like if you put them in a basement, put some wood blocks under them because contact with concrete will lower their temps.
Also you will need a "battery minder" to keep them charged. Such as these:
These will prolong your batteries lives a lot.

I built a setup with 2 golf cart batteries wired together to make a 12V unit. I purchased a Kreiger 2KW 12V inverter to give me 12V power for fan blower motor, coffee pot, refrigerators, etc - not big load items like AC or stove, but I can handle a microwave. A few limited tests on it shows that it works. I have a trickle charger which I have on 24/7 unless I'm going to use the unit, where I simply disconnect the cables from the inverter and plug in the trickle charger. I'm sure there are more sophisticated units and strategies available, but I wanted simplicity so that I can plug in limited electrical devices to run during power outages. It's sits on an old movers dolly on a homemade wooden frame to keep the battery and inverter separate and secure. The wooden frame rests on the old mover's dolly so I have mobility of the unit.

I too was interested about how long I could power a blower fan during power outages (frankly it was one of my main reasons for building this). If I have done the math properly, I can run for quite a long time - many days.

The next "phase" of this project is to close the loop charging-wise with a solar-powered battery charger/tender. If this concept works, I might considering putting in a professional system like this for the house!

this sounds interesting brazilbl. I'm still getting used to how this forum works so I miss some of the replies.. no intention not to reply to anyone for sure.. I appreciate this convo very much! We have a diesel generator at a different building, and some smaller gas generators but like I said, especially when the power is out for a long time , not only does fuel become a "concern" but the noise can drive you batty if you have to live with it .. for me especially at night.. I checked out the unit you bought and my brain is beginning to see a path here because your goal and mine seem to have been pretty much the same. Thank you!

Thank you for that bit of information.. it's important! I appreciate all of this input.. great community here!

For batteries you should keep them above 22F and off a concrete floor. Like if you put them in a basement, put some wood blocks under them because contact with concrete will lower their temps.
Also you will need a "battery minder" to keep them charged. Such as these:
These will prolong your batteries lives a lot.
Thank you for that bit of information.. it's important! I appreciate all of this input.. great community here!

Make the surround easily removable. Let that heat out without mechanical assistance! At least more of it sooner. Just a thought.... Dunno.
The Napoleon has the enamel shielding on there pretty solid plus because of it I put it pretty close to sheet rocked walls but it's in an alcove and not a place where that would work like it would if in the middle of a room., but great thought! Thanks!

Buy 3 and and have one run your Internet and tv too!!
EbS-P, I'd have replied sooner but I went on the Ford site and seriously thought about a Lariat... because I'm super committed to my Napoleon Woodstove and the quite! No seriously my grandson told me about this truck and I've been really thinking about buying an electric car/ truck. I'm looking at this unit you posted, but thinking because of where we live and how we loose power a lot under "old normal" circumstances ( I live on an island off the coast of MA) and we are in the country part of it 25 miles from much of anything.. so I'm thinking maybe a full sine that hooks up to some solar panels to run the Napoleon fan and other things. We don't get snow that much but when we do sometimes we don't see a plow for days... I like that feeling ( if we are prepared). We just had a big blow here in the NE and so today I was picking up all the sticks in the yard preparing more for my winter fires.. I just loves my fires! Thanks for your suggestions... I've taught myself how to do a lot in life but these newfangled electrical devices are my final frontier! I'm loving this.. bring it~

A sine wave inverter will not be that important for the blower motor. However, efficiency will be. Inverters can range from 80-90+% efficiency, the rest is lost to heat. Battery capacity will be the limit so you want the least current loss possible over time. How long are you expecting to power the blower on the battery? If you are talking days it will require some really big batteries.

Another option to greatly reduce losses would be to buy a 12v fan to blow across the stovetop. They are made for boats and trucks commonly and use much less power. This fan uses 10watts.
Amazon product ASIN B086TVGYR4
begreen: Thanks for your great reply.. I'm still learning how to navigate your forum... I'd like the fan to be able to be on as needed in a worse case scenario .. so I'm thinking at least segments that would add up to 18 out of 24 hours? I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that a couple of solar panels might be helpful. We have generators.. I don't mind running them to power the house but even the fridges ( one reg one small er) can do ok with being without power for the night and we don't need lights at night so I'm just focused on the blower fan more than anything because fuel conservation could become a player as well. The top is not very hot as the stove is really sheilded on all sides but the back.. it blows air up the back and out a vent that is under the top toward the front which circulates really well to heat a room.. it's 16 x 26 with a cathedral on half and loft on the other.. ( gets too hot in the loft of course.. ) Great forum.. thank you!

begreen: Thanks for your great reply.. I'm still learning how to navigate your forum... I'd like the fan to be able to be on as needed in a worse case scenario .. so I'm thinking at least segments that would add up to 18 out of 24 hours? I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that a couple of solar panels might be helpful. We have generators.. I don't mind running them to power the house but even the fridges ( one reg one small er) can do ok with being without power for the night and we don't need lights at night so I'm just focused on the blower fan more than anything because fuel conservation could become a player as well. The top is not very hot as the stove is really sheilded on all sides but the back.. it blows air up the back and out a vent that is under the top toward the front which circulates really well to heat a room.. it's 16 x 26 with a cathedral on half and loft on the other.. ( gets too hot in the loft of course.. ) Great forum.. thank you!

For me, dragging out the portable generator, hooking it up, doing the reverse plus draining the fuel is drudgery. That should be factored in, as well as quietness.

Yes, we run the generator primarily for refrigeration so it does not run continually. For a battery-run fan, I would use a separate 12v DC fan for the most efficient operation on a large car battery.

Hi,

View attachment 284704
Looks like it's 46 watts. That's 4 amps converted from a 12 volt source. Would seem difficult to get a gas powered generator that small. Also a big 500 or 1000 watt inverter might have more quiescent power drain than the fan. Maybe 50 to 100 watts. I'd get a high efficiency, modern, 100 watt inverter, on a 110 amp hour car battery that's maybe 20 hours. Then fire up the gas generator and charge the 12 volt battery. The fan might actually be less than 46 watts in practice. Running some fans at half speed with a speed control might cut it to 25 watts. These are typically small AC induction motors. Key thing is sizing the stuff for the load, lots of inefficiency if the sources are way higher in power than the fan needs. Check the quiescent power on any inverters considered.