looks like i will be down for a while.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RIDGERUNNER30

Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2009
Eastern, Kentucky
Hey guys, been having alot of pain the past few days, I fell off a ladder at work monday and dislocated my ankle. The doctor told me that a dislocation takes long to heal then a break, the pain is hard to deal with. Had a cat scan done yesterday and in a week go back to the doctor to see how he wants to treat this. looks like surgery is in the near furture, Had big plans this fall of getting caught up on some wood cutting and stacking but might have to wait.

You can still run a splitter in an ankle cast!!!!! Just find some muscle to help you out with your cutting and stacking..............and then BBQ for them and give them as much beer as they want after the works done!!!!

Sorry to hear that, I know how it is to be down when you really want to be out doing stuff.
Makes for a slow boring recuperation.

Ask the Doc if there is a brace of some kind that you can use.
Some mechanical help may still let you do a little wood gathering.

give_up (2).gif ;)

Hey guys, been having alot of pain the past few days, I fell off a ladder at work monday and dislocated my ankle. The doctor told me that a dislocation takes long to heal then a break, the pain is hard to deal with. Had a cat scan done yesterday and in a week go back to the doctor to see how he wants to treat this. looks like surgery is in the near furture, Had big plans this fall of getting caught up on some wood cutting and stacking but might have to wait.

Ouch!!! Definitely worse than a broken bone. But it will heal. Later on in life it may come back to haunt you a bit but most of us have something on that line. Polio left me with some very weak muscles and the ankles have always been a problem. Have had approximately 35-40 really bad sprains and some smaller ones. They are pretty good for forecasting weather at times....

Here's hoping you heal fast. Hopefully you can get a bit of help with the wood supply and get through this.

Hope you get some good news after the doc gives it a good look. Get yourself fixed up and get back at it.....

Very sorry to hear about your injury. That is why you hear people on here talking about getting ahead in the wood department.
You never know when life will throw you a curve. I have never been as far behind on wood processing as I am right now...but
I am still a little over 2yrs ahead...

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Get better quick Ridge... sorry to hear about this.

Might be a good time to stock up on wood from other sources, just to get ahead.

A thought.

Sorry to hear that Ridge, Im in the same boat with my hip and we'll be going under the knife. These guys have drilled it into my head to get as far ahead as you can with your firewood and after hearing it a couple years it sank in and Im ahead. Hope you have a speedy recovery and can get back out processing some wood.

This brings up a recent concern of mine.
I've read a few post where people are considering their long term ability to sustain fire wood. I had never thought about this, it left me a little worried. I can't imagine not heating with wood, it's all I've ever known. So, I'm now three years ahead (I've come a long ways, before this I was only a year ahead, which is a year ahead of how I was raised). If three, why not twenty? That's my plan. I've got the time and wood to do it. I think of it as a pension. Who has the record by the way (not to de-rail)? Good luck Ridgerunner.

Get your rest & let things heal 100% for the time they need.That's most important.Dont be afraid to ask family,friends & close neighbors for some help when the time comes.Just dont rush things,even if you start feeling better a bit sooner than expected.

This brings up a recent concern of mine.
I've read a few post where people are considering their long term ability to sustain fire wood. I had never thought about this, it left me a little worried. I can't imagine not heating with wood, it's all I've ever known. So, I'm now three years ahead (I've come a long ways, before this I was only a year ahead, which is a year ahead of how I was raised). If three, why not twenty? That's my plan. I've got the time and wood to do it. I think of it as a pension. Who has the record by the way (not to de-rail)? Good luck Ridgerunner.

You have the right idea fox. I think Eric might have the record. Around our place we are consistently 3-8 years ahead. I may get further ahead if possible too because we know that when folks are in their 70's, health can be a major concern. Even now, if it were winter and wood cutting time, I could not be out there doing it. In fact, physically I could not even be bringing wood to the porch and would have to depend upon my wife to do that and thankfully, she is well capable of doing it and also keeping the stove running. But I do not let her cut, split or stack the wood. That is my joy.

Sorry to hear - not a day goes by when I'm out and about that I don't feel good about being able to get around. I have that plantar faciitis - but despite every step hurting - I'm glad I'm mobile and have my strength.

If you were closer I would help you out...but as much as I want to see KY one day it won't be anytime soon. Hope you mend quickly!

I quote situations like this to my wife when she asks why I'm going to cut more wood when we have "all that wood back there". You never know what life will deal you.

Hope your feeling better sooner than the doc said but like Thistle mentioned take care of yourself first worry about the wood later.

zap

Well, I had 42 full cords of beech and hard maple stacked up behind the barn a few years ago. My wife told me I was ******* crazy. "The neighbors all think you're crazy, too," she informed me. Like I care. "Hey, you never know," I said. "I might get hurt or sick; I might lose access to the woodlot I cut from; I might lose my job and my truck and have no way to haul wood."

Shortly thereafter, I was diagnosed with cancer and over the next year (and beyond) went through chemo and surgery and radiation, etc. The bottom line is that I couldn't cut wood for a few years. "Who's ******* crazy now?" I asked my wife one cold winter day when the house was about 75 and the monthly gas bill was about $18.

I'm down to about 25 at the moment, (10 in the barn and another 15 stacked out back) but working on it.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I'm down to about 25 at the moment, (10 in the barn and another 15 stacked out back) but working on it.

I missed ya when you were gone buddy and glad to see you back on the horse.;)

42 cords!!!, there's my 20+ year supply. Dang,I need to get on the ball. You never know what's going to happen.
Glad you were prepared Eric, God-speed.

Hey Eric - you still got the pic? I think some of these folks might just appreciate what 42 cords looks like.

Reactions: fox9988
Good luck on your recovery, Ridgerunner...hope your runnin' again soon.

Wow, that sounds painful.....I hope it "heels" fast!!

I hope you get better soon.
I hear you all and agree on having lots of wood handy. I am maxed out at about 13 cords on my little 1/4 acre. I haven't processed any wood since March this year. If I had the space, I'd have another few cords by now. All you who do have the space should use it. ALL of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.