Lopi Wood Inserts and Fans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cbscout

Aug 16, 2018
Mid-Michigan
Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions on the quality of the Lopi wood insert? Considering the size of my house (1200 sq ft) I am considering the Revere.

In addition, how loud are the Lopi fans? In any insert that you buy, are there ways to quiet the fans or get third party ones that are better and quieter?

Thank you for your thoughts...

Which model insert? Lopi makes several. Many stoves have variable speed fan controls that are pretty quiet on low speed, especially if the mounts are isolated.

Which model insert? Lopi makes several. Many stoves have variable speed fan controls that are pretty quiet on low speed, especially if the mounts are isolated.

We are looking at the Revere at this point.

Travis has been making stoves for a long time. Their quality is good. So are the other two brands.

Reactions: cbscout
Thank you very much. What do you know about their quality? I have seen PE and QuadraFire, but am looking to find out a little more about Lopi before talking to a salesman.
Lopi makes a rock solid stove. Quadra-junk and PE are decent too. You can’t go wrong with a Lopi.

Lopi makes a rock solid stove. Quadra-junk and PE are decent too. You can’t go wrong with a Lopi.

Thanks, webby3650. Appreciate it. My wife has been a bit bummed about not getting a Jotul or one of the others that have an enamel finish, but I'm not keen on it, due to the possibility of it easily chipping. The Lopi Revere seems to be a good option for the list, and she can change the door to a brass or pewter finish to spiff it up a bit.

The Revere insert sits out onto the hearth about 10 inches. Will it project more heat that way, even with the fan on low?

Thanks, webby3650. Appreciate it. My wife has been a bit bummed about not getting a Jotul or one of the others that have an enamel finish, but I'm not keen on it, due to the possibility of it easily chipping. The Lopi Revere seems to be a good option for the list, and she can change the door to a brass or pewter finish to spiff it up a bit.

The Revere insert sits out onto the hearth about 10 inches. Will it project more heat that way, even with the fan on low?
Yes, the more stove that’s on the hearth, the more radiant heat you will get.

It will chip it if you hit it with a hammer, seriously the jotul I had looked as good at ten as it did when new. very durable

Agreed. Unless one is careless the enamel should stay looking great for years. The Jotul blue-black enamel is a good compromise. It's quite durable and looks great.

Agreed. Unless one is careless the enamel should stay looking great for years. The Jotul blue-black enamel is a good compromise. It's quite durable and looks great.

Ok. Although we started with the Lopi, the last couple days we have been looking at both the Jotul C550 Rockland and the PE Alderlea T6. The Alderlea seems a pretty nice unit, and we found a floor model with enamel coating that looks great, and my wife really likes it. Any reason I shouldn't go with a floor model? I see people getting used stoves and inserts all the time, so I figured that it would be fine, as it is brand new.

Ok. Although we started with the Lopi, the last couple days we have been looking at both the Jotul C550 Rockland and the PE Alderlea T6. The Alderlea seems a pretty nice unit, and we found a floor model with enamel coating that looks great, and my wife really likes it. Any reason I shouldn't go with a floor model? I see people getting used stoves and inserts all the time, so I figured that it would be fine, as it is brand new.
A floor model is a great way to get a deal. I wouldn’t worry about it at all!
You are gonna see a bunch of dealers off loading floor models as 2020 regulations approach. It will be a great opportunity for folks to find good deals on great stoves.

A floor model is a great way to get a deal. I wouldn’t worry about it at all!
You are gonna see a bunch of dealers off loading floor models as 2020 regulations approach. It will be a great opportunity for folks to find good deals on great stoves.

Cool. Now just to deal with them on the install. I don't think they are planning on insulation with the install. I'm going to double check with the chimney sweep I'm using to clean my chimney creosote buildup prior to the install, but I think I may insist on it if the sweep recommends it. Then on to finish finding good, seasoned wood (this is late coming into the season - need an honest seller) and figure out how to store it on my smaller lot.

Cool. Now just to deal with them on the install. I don't think they are planning on insulation with the install. I'm going to double check with the chimney sweep I'm using to clean my chimney creosote buildup prior to the install, but I think I may insist on it if the sweep recommends it. Then on to finish finding good, seasoned wood (this is late coming into the season - need an honest seller) and figure out how to store it on my smaller lot.
Just plan on insisting on insulation. You can’t go wrong.

please explain 2020 regulations. I hope they are not like cars these days and shut themselves off at a red light. I hate that

That would have to be an Alderlea T5 insert. The T6 is freestanding only. That said, my stove was a floor model which helped reduce the price. No regrets.

please explain 2020 regulations. I hope they are not like cars these days and shut themselves off at a red light. I hate that
Your modern stoves are the result of phase 2 and phase 3 EPA regs. Cleaner burning and greater efficiency is the goal.

That would have to be an Alderlea T5 insert. The T6 is freestanding only. That said, my stove was a floor model which helped reduce the price. No regrets.

Ah, yes. Had T6 engrained in my brain for some reason. Yes, the T5.