Loving red elm.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarmisle

Sep 28, 2022
Ohio
Ten years old air dried, burns easily 16 hours bright flames plenty heat, split em big some 8 to 10 inches thick, great wood.

elm1.jpeg elm2.jpeg

Reactions: Bobbob and Vg3200p
Great wood but good luck splitting it. Elm is a pain even with a splitter. 10 year old well stored hardwood is pretty fun to burn. Makes life easy being prepared!

Great wood but good luck splitting it. Elm is a pain even with a splitter. 10 year old well stored hardwood is pretty fun to burn. Makes life easy being prepared! Nothing can stop this ,trust me I know 9hp Honda 34 ton, never been beaten, and I've split wood with it for 14 years.

cl1.jpeg

Reactions: Bobbob
34 tons....that'll do the trick lol! My 27 handles it fine elm is just stringy and annoying compared to oak and maple. Burns great tho

Great wood but good luck splitting it. Elm is a pain even with a splitter. 10 year old well stored hardwood is pretty fun to burn. Makes life easy being prepared!
Have you split much red elm? I split 5 or 6 cords of it last summer by hand. Most of it flys apart, if I work my way from the outside in. Hit it dead center and even my sharp Fiskars can bounce right back at me. Yes, some logs can be a real bear but most of it split faster by hand than running the hydraulic splitter. I also had some American elm to split, and that was pretty awful, so I set that aside until the end. I have a 25 ton splitter for the nasty ones.

Reactions: cahaak
Have you split much red elm? I split 5 or 6 cords of it last summer by hand. Most of it flys apart, if I work my way from the outside in. Hit it dead center and even my sharp Fiskars can bounce right back at me. Yes, some logs can be a real bear but most of it split faster by hand than running the hydraulic splitter. I also had some American elm to split, and that was pretty awful, so I set that aside until the end. I have a 25 ton splitter for the nasty ones.
I was just commenting on elm in general. I've mostly split American Elm, if red is that much different then that's great!

Red elm and American elm are two distinctly different animals when it comes to splitting. At least that has been my experience.

Reactions: aansorge
As noted, red elm is easy to split. American elm is very stringy and intergrained and is a pain to split without a splitter. They both burn very well.

Had some American Elm to burn some years ago after Elm Bark Bettle went through the area. Burned great and wasn't that hard to split save for the knotty pieces. Splitter made quick work of those. Nevermore ded the stringy nature of the wood. Think that made the splits catch quicker in the stove.

Splits easy, burns great, low ash and love the smell. Red elm would make my top 5 list.