Mahindra 4540

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We have two storm systems coming in, one starts tomorrow night and the next system starts either on Thursday or Friday. I cut back the banks on one side of the driveway by 3 or 4 or feet, that should make us ready for the next two storms.

I also plowed out what I call the natural drain so when the melt and the rain starts, it will be ready. I'm sure that this will be plowed out again but getting the snow out of there will help big time, especially if we get dumped on.

I also plowed out the low side of the garage and then roof raked it some.

Attachments

• 104_1500.JPG
    104_1500.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 104_1501.JPG
    104_1501.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 164
  • 104_1503.JPG
    104_1503.JPG
    506.5 KB · Views: 161
We are supposed to get some snow as well 8-12 inches maybe more in the snow belt. Were ready I don't have much snow here just a few inches. The garage is full of wood so other than moving some snow it should be alright. Temps next week go back up in the mid 30's so spring is not to far away.

Reactions: thewoodlands
We are supposed to get some snow as well 8-12 inches maybe more in the snow belt. Were ready I don't have much snow here just a few inches. The garage is full of wood so other than moving some snow it should be alright. Temps next week go back up in the mid 30's so spring is not to far away.
You'll be in Jersey by Thursday here, ice total forecasts keep going up, the one thing that sticks out is a longer period of lighter precip, thats disaster in the making.

kennyp2339 The storm bad for you guys up there? We didn't get hit that bad almost no outages.

It has been an old fashion type winter snow wise, I'm glad that I cleaned up more areas for snow storage.

I use the 4540 today so I could lift the snow that I plowed to the top of the banks.

NOAA was calling for 8-12 , we've received 6-7 so far.

Attachments

• 104_1508.JPG
    104_1508.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 170
  • 104_1509.JPG
    104_1509.JPG
    276.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 104_1510.JPG
    104_1510.JPG
    328.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 104_1511.JPG
    104_1511.JPG
    310.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 104_1512.JPG
    104_1512.JPG
    306.4 KB · Views: 157
Reactions: heavy hammer
kennyp2339 The storm bad for you guys up there? We didn't get hit that bad almost no outages.
Nope, mother nature spared us, just over 1/4" of ice accretion on the tree's / lines at daybreak yesterday, no issues at all and it was melted by lunch time.

We had no ice but last night we ended up with another 4-6 inches of the fluffy snow. Sunny today about 23 but still cold. Next week is back in the 30's

I plugged the block heater on the tractor in around 8 this morning, I plan on pushing back some banks, open up the outside fireplace and a few other things.

We should hit the low 20's today.

I removed some snow on the northeast of our house, with the sun getting stronger and March around the corner, it would just melt and follow the natural drain down into the woods.

I pushed the snow deep into the woods on the northside of the house, if it melts and then freezes it doesn't matter.

The first two pictures are before and the last two are after.

104_1520.JPG 104_1521.JPG 104_1522.JPG 104_1523.JPG 104_1524.JPG 104_1525.JPG 104_1526.JPG

I'm going to get a set of chains for my tractor for the coming winter. I wish I could use my tractor more in the winter but with my elevation change it can be very difficult to get the tractor back up the path when it has snow or ice on it. Kennyp2239 recommended a place to check out, appreciate that Kenny! I have been using a wheelbarrow or just carry it but it kills me to not be able to use the tractor. It can move a lot more firewood or snow than me at a time and it doesn't tired.

Hello,

First time posting here! I am wondering if you have hydraulic angle adjustment on your snowblade? I bought a Mahindra 2638 last fall with bucket, pallet forks, root grapple, and manual adjust snowblade. After 1 winter with the manual blade I am wishing I had gotten the hydraulic. I already have the third function control installed for the grapple so it should have been a no-brainer...... LOL

Thanks

Hello,

First time posting here! I am wondering if you have hydraulic angle adjustment on your snowblade? I bought a Mahindra 2638 last fall with bucket, pallet forks, root grapple, and manual adjust snowblade. After 1 winter with the manual blade I am wishing I had gotten the hydraulic. I already have the third function control installed for the grapple so it should have been a no-brainer...... LOL

Thanks
Yes we do, I'm very glad we paid the extra money for that. I plow a chit load of trails around the house and a long driveway, I decided that I wasn't getting off the tractor to change the angle.

I'm pretty sure the plow on our tractor is made by Paladin, I've been very happy with it. We've had the tractor since August of 2016 (new) with the plow coming in a few months later.

Hello,

Thanks
Hi Travis,

The model plow on our tractor is a 114, I checked that this morning before getting some sand and ash on the driveway.

Thank you for checking that out. I have no idea what model number mine is but it is Mahindra branded. I got all of the attachments when I purchased the tractor new from the dealer. I forget what the program was called but there was a discount for each attachment after the first.

If I remember correctly there was an $800-$1000 price difference between the manual blade and the hydraulic. I am planning to weld up a couple of brackets this summer and add a cylinder to make mine remotely adjustable as well. Never hurts to learn new things....right? LOL

Resized_20210314_153725_6198.jpegResized_20210314_140549_8106.jpegFinally was able to put some hours on the tractor. It was a dry day was finally able to get some logs moved. About 10 grapple loads moved into the woods to be cut and stacked.

With the warm weather today and again tomorrow with 1 to 1.5 inches of rain forecast, I finally plowed out the entrance to the gully that is near the sandpit. I'll let the sun and rain clear the rest of the gully so I can see if there's anything down across the gully under the snow before I get the Rhino in there so I can start felling some Ash and damaged Yellow Birch.

Attachments

• 104_1572.JPG
    104_1572.JPG
    484.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 104_1573.JPG
    104_1573.JPG
    628.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 104_1574.JPG
    104_1574.JPG
    525 KB · Views: 117
I'll be honest. Having followed this thread for awhile, I am considering a Mahindra now. Always said I was going to buy a Kubota because of their name but these red tractors are working on me. Prices are such a fluctuating game now, its just a matter of what I find.

Also, I appreciate your pictures a lot. Your region of New York reminds me a lot of where my cabin is in the UP.

I'll be honest. Having followed this thread for awhile, I am considering a Mahindra now. Always said I was going to buy a Kubota because of their name but these red tractors are working on me. Prices are such a fluctuating game now, its just a matter of what I find.

Also, I appreciate your pictures a lot. Your region of New York reminds me a lot of where my cabin is in the UP.
I went Yanmar because JD and Kubota are a little too proud ( $$$$ ) of their tractors IMHO. Yanmar built a lot of JD's early compact tractors and I had one of them, and had zero issues. Yanmar also builds a lot of engines for other tractor companies also. I don't think you are too far from me, I got mine at Holmes Rental in Mt. Vernon.

I am not opposed to yanmar or bobcat. They’ve been making smaller diesel machines for a long time. I’ve just not really looked for dealers. The original Holmes rental is only an hour or so for me and I might consider that now. There’s just a lot to choose from right now.

Reactions: sloeffle
I agree, there are a lot of choices when it comes to compact tractors. In Mt Vernon there are four different dealers with a mile of each other.

Good luck, if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

So far it has been a good tractor, what ever color you choose, I hope it's a good tractor for you.

I'm with thewoodlands on this one. Any tractor will work just take care of it and it will take care of you. I have no complaint with mine and anyone I run into with one seems to like theirs. But most tractor owners I come across seem happy with their purchase. Keep us posted with what you get. Before the Mahindra I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a Bobcat tractor it just was purchased before I was able to get it..

I am not opposed to yanmar or bobcat. They’ve been making smaller diesel machines for a long time. I’ve just not really looked for dealers. The original Holmes rental is only an hour or so for me and I might consider that now. There’s just a lot to choose from right now.

I'm pretty sure the Bobcat tractors are just rebadged Kioti tractors, not that I'm saying it's a bad thing, I own Kioti DK4710 SE. Your best bet would be to visit the local dealers, especially the parts and service side of the house, and then decide which tractor you like best. The "Big Green" brand uses Yanmar engines (and chassis too I think) for all of their Cat 1 machines. A second thing to look at would be pedal placement/ergonomics. My local Kioti dealer (closest tractor dealer for two hours in my case) started out being staffed by rock stars, then it really took a dive, only to finally come back.

You nailed it about the dealership part @SpaceBus. You can have the best product in the world but if you don't have good dealerships then that product is going to suffer. Like the others have said, go out and test drive all of the machines you are interested in, go over them with a fine tooth comb ( I actually crawled underneath all of the tractors I looked at ), try and talk to current owners, and them make your decision from there.

You nailed it about the dealership part @SpaceBus. You can have the best product in the world but if you don't have good dealerships then that product is going to suffer. Like the others have said, go out and test drive all of the machines you are interested in, go over them with a fine tooth comb ( I actually crawled underneath all of the tractors I looked at ), try and talk to current owners, and them make your decision from there.
My biggest complaint about my tractor is that sticks get stuck up in the undercarriage when I drive over slash from clearing trees. Probably not specific to my tractor though ;lol