Makita 6401 Used Price?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DexterDay

I see the "New" price of these all over the place? From about $599 to almost $800 from online retailers (not with Big Bore kit).

I am looking at a used one and just wondering what would a fair used price be? $300-$400 seems average.

Gonna get rid of the Rancher and in time, get the Big Bore kit.

Just wondering of anyone has bought one used? And what you paid?

Ive tried every Home Depot around here. They look at me like I am from Outer Space, when I ask, "When are you guys gonna sell your Rental units"??? !! !! So no luck there....

Come on Dex ;lol ...... as a firewood cutter you will NEVER wear that 460 out. I'd just run the snot out of it.

$300 seems like a fair price though.....towards $400 if its in real nice shape. I don't see many used on craigslist.

Come on Dex ;lol ...... as a firewood cutter you will NEVER wear that 460 out. I'd just run the snot out of it.

$300 seems like a fair price though.....towards $400 if its in real nice shape. I don't see many used on craigslist.

We've had this conversation before Dex. HS is right you wont wear that machine out in the next 15-20 years. Where's the pics of it dirty that you promised?:) A C

We've had this conversation before Dex. HS is right you wont wear that machine out in the next 15-20 years. Where's the pics of it dirty that you promised?:) A C

You aint gonna believe what happened!....!....!

I went out to breakfast with the ol'lady and..... Got Lazy!..!..! No lie...

As for this saw.... Its an addiction. Hittin (6 saws), you should know, and you to AC (4 saws)..

I sold my MS-192T (traded actually). And I am gonna sell the Rancher (Hittin, know anyone?/ little over 1 yr old/ $300 and it comes w/ hard case, 3 chains, extra bar, sharpener made by Husqvarna, and a bottle of oil).

So I only have 3 saws now...... Im hoping for under $325. This way, the 036 will be my "small" saw and after the Big Bore kit, the 460 will be my "Mid-size" saw (more use) and the 6401 will be the BIG BOY!!

Here is a pic of it......

5L75E45Fe3Ef3M93L2c7hae63a3ff6f601f76.jpg

OK OK, I'll give you the lazy thing just this once, cause I've been there, done that. Now about those saws in my sig. I just listed the ones I run on my rig & use regularly, cause well you know, I don't wanna admit that I may have a problem with cad. Now about the 6401 BB being the big boy, that'll work till you've used it a little while, then you'll run a 395XP or MS 660 & it'll be the big boy, & on & on & on._g

You might wanna look into an 026 or similar for a limb saw as well, that 036 will get a little heavy if you're doing a lot of limbing/small bucking all day. Then you'll want an MS 200T for the really small limbing or climbing work, then the wife will get really mad cause you own a dozen saws, & can't decide which ones to take for any particular job, & you'll be broke all the time cause you need new chains or a better grinder, or just that one really expensive bar for the big saw, etc. etc.

Bottom line: Sell them all, buy your wood c/s/d, & get a Wild Thingy in case a tree comes down in a storm, or you need to prune a couple limbs. Save yourself & your marriage while you still can.

BTW, if you take this advice I want first dibs on the 036 & 460, just don't tell my wife.

If you don't take this advice, PLEASE GET THAT 460 DIRTY! A C

Nice, just saw the pic, that's a beauty! In my professional opinion you're doomed to a life of cad. Welcome to the club.:oops: A C

Reactions: DexterDay
OK OK, I'll give you the lazy thing just this once, cause I've been there, done that. Now about those saws in my sig. I just listed the ones I run on my rig & use regularly, cause well you know, I don't wanna admit that I may have a problem with cad. Now about the 6401 BB being the big boy, that'll work till you've used it a little while, then you'll run a 395XP or MS 660 & it'll be the big boy, & on & on & on._g

You might wanna look into an 026 or similar for a limb saw as well, that 036 will get a little heavy if you're doing a lot of limbing/small bucking all day. Then you'll want an MS 200T for the really small limbing or climbing work, then the wife will get really mad cause you own a dozen saws, & can't decide which ones to take for any particular job, & you'll be broke all the time cause you need new chains or a better grinder, or just that one really expensive bar for the big saw, etc. etc.

Bottom line: Sell them all, buy your wood c/s/d, & get a Wild Thingy in case a tree comes down in a storm, or you need to prune a couple limbs. Save yourself & your marriage while you still can.

BTW, if you take this advice I want first dibs on the 036 & 460, just don't tell my wife.

If you don't take this advice, PLEASE GET THAT 460 DIRTY! A C

See..... Its a problem..

As for MS-200T, I have had a 192T and a 435T. I am not a fan of Top handles. I actually have a bid now on an 026 on Ebay. But it will end before tomorrow evening when I am supposed to deal on the Makita.

I have wanted an 026/260 since I acquired my 036. I do want a small saw for limbing and light work. But a new MS-180 can be had for less than $200. So if I need one, I can sell a cord of wood. I have been buying slab wood because of how much wood I sold last yr to friends and family. I just went and got another load yesterday. I pay $15 a truckload. About 3 loads to a cord ($45) and I intend to sell it for $180 to a few people.

They normally get there wood in Oct/Nov so this Cottonwood and Ash is 100% better than there November Oak.....

Anyways, if I do ever sell a saw (worth you while( I will post it here) but a Rancher doesn't have the demand to pay shipping out of state. So its gonna be a Craiglist deal.

Oh and I got a Fuel filter, Air filter, and Spark plug for the 036. Changed it today. Its prob been a decade. So it needed it ;)

2012-07-25_19-23-19_173.jpg 2012-07-26_17-19-58_181.jpg 2012-07-26_17-19-34_473.jpg 2012-07-26_17-20-27_273.jpg 2012-07-26_17-24-11_837.jpg

That 6401 looks nice!

I'll check around and see if I know anyone looking for a good rancher

Hi - I paid $300 3 years ago. I earned that back with it in a day. I'm very happy with it but it's boringly reliable. ; )

Dex, it wouldn't hurt to advertise a clean, well taken care of 455 here in the For Sale forum. Real popular saw with the average member of the firewood crowd.

Dex, it wouldn't hurt to advertise a clean, well taken care of 455 here in the For Sale forum. Real popular saw with the average member of the firewood crowd.

Yeah, I know it would sell. I am just worried about shipping? I dont know the 1st thing about shipping such an item......

Otherwise I would advertise on Ebay also. I could prob fetch a fair dollar for it to.. I just seen a 290 going for $450 used! ! ! WTH! !!

Yeah, I know it would sell. I am just worried about shipping? I dont know the 1st thing about shipping such an item......

Otherwise I would advertise on Ebay also. I could prob fetch a fair dollar for it to.. I just seen a 290 going for $450 used! ! ! WTH! !!

That 290 most likely is going to an overseas buyer whether that be directly or via a proxy here in the States.

Shipping a saw? Stop by your local dealer, pick up some files/mix oil/bar oil/chain, drool on some new saws, you know; the usual routine.... ;lol
Then ask if you can have a box from one of the new saws you just slobbered on. We always laughed whenever someone at my old dealership moved, all their stuff was packed into Husky/Stihl boxes. It was the practical solution as the boxes were very heavy duty compared to a "normal" box.

Dump the fluids, get as much oil/gas outta 'em as you can. Ship via your favorite service just like any other package. It helps if the package doesn't reek of premix and isn't dripping bar oil. Highly recommend the buyer spring for shipping insurance.

I see $20-$40 shipping on Ebay saws...... Is that about the cost?

Just some of the smaller items I have shipped have been $15-$20. Thats why a 14 lb package thats pretty large scares me.

I would also have to set uo my Pay Pal to receive payment. Only set up to pay/make payments.

I will look into it.

I've had Ebay account for 11 yrs now,buying/selling antique tools mostly,few other things when I wanted extra cash and/or clear some space.Its very easy to set up for PayPal payments,it can go to your email address that PayPal is listed under, you can then keep it in PayPal account or transfer it to your regular bank account (which is what I usually do).That usually takes 3-4 business days.

Sold & shipped 2 saws last year on Ebay- an older Mc Culloch ProMac 610 for parts to Minnesota & my prized Poulan 475/77cc rebadged Jonsered screamer to buyer in Sonneborg,Germany.Both were pleased,the buyer in Germany was ecstatic,I used a custom heavy box & reinforced it inside with packing foam & thin plywood.Cost around $110 for shipping & insurance,he wanted it protected no matter what the cost.

If that's the slab wood you buy for $15, I sure wouldn't be screwing around with any chainsaw.

If you end up with that Makita, go right out and buy a HD filter kit for it. The stock air filter scares me.

I went and got another load today...

I split the load from the other day and stacked it. It yielded a stack 10' long by 42" tall (average 16" cuts)

I gave him $20 for this load because one of the kids helped me load it.

I sold a few cord last yr to select family and friends and have requests for this year. I am tired of selling my good cordwood. So slabwood is on the For Sale menu this year.

Here is a pic of the finshed product after splitting. Looks like cord wood now.... And a pic of the load today.

I talked to the guy about the 6401. He cant do it tomorrow and I cant on Sunday. So Monday after work I hope to have it home. He said $325 is as low as he will go. Then he asked if I sold Firewood? I happen to sell some I say... He is gonna call tomorrow afternoon and we will settle on a price and if any firewood is involved..

2012-07-27_17-08-19_737.jpg 2012-07-27_17-07-42_971.jpg

Reactions: zap and jeff_t
I'll take 30-50 cord of that "slab" wood. That stuff looks nice. A C

Reactions: jeff_t
I will work out to be $45-$50 a cord...... Gonna sell it for $200 a cord/delivered.

I have not been over there in awhile.... They have a good pile of chunks and also some Logs they may sell to me. :) Glad I went over there...

Oh, and since the HD saws aren't an option, I won't tell you that I paid $206 for mine. And that it had been rented twice since it came back from the shop after being straight gassed.

Oh, and since the HD saws aren't an option, I won't tell you that I paid $206 for mine. And that it had been rented twice since it came back from the shop after being straight gassed.

You dont have to tell me... A quick search and I read it. (Lucky Dog ;))

Thats an Awesome price for that saw....

I looked every time I went to HD, anywhere. I still do. That was the only one I have ever seen. It was actually marked down twice, because nobody wanted it. It was down to $194+tax.

Well..... I may still buy the 6401.

But I just won an auction on Ebay for an 026... For less than $150. Comes with a small warranty (about a month / everything guaranteed / sealed checked and compression checked).

The 455 will still be sold as this will be my go to Saw. The 6401 is still in the table. If the Wife approves ;)

Well..... I may still buy the 6401.

But I just won an auction on Ebay for an 026... For less than $150. Comes with a small warranty (about a month / everything guaranteed / sealed checked and compression checked).

The 455 will still be sold as this will be my go to Saw. The 6401 is still in the table. If the Wife approves ;)

OK Dex, so now you've got a 26 a 36 & a 46. You can not screw this up & throw the dolkita in there buddy. You know what you have to do right? ::-)

Status
Not open for further replies.