Marking wood for where to cut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I know where 16" is on all my bars
This is still the easiest, quickest, and it's accurate - use guide bar as measuring tool.
I cut my wood to 20" lengths with a 16" bar. That comes to the felling sight line on the side of the saw (20" from tip of bar).

Reactions: jaoneill
Here is a picture of the masonry rig buried in doors and wood. At least it is easier to work on the chimney now - I just have to walk up the stairs.

I think it is a 20" to 22" firebox but I'm not going to move all of that stuff to find out. Plus you can burn wood by loading it vertically (like a tee-pee).
DSCF0031.JPG

DSCF0035.JPG

I want to know about this masonry rig
Click bQ user name, in the pop-up box click user name again, drop down Find and click "All Threads." MH Puzzling Together is his main one, I think, but others look good too.

This is exactly what i do. All steps in one tool.

Anybody who remembers the great quotes from Jeremiah Johnson can't be all bad. I was 22 when that movie came out in Atlanta in January 1973. This movie just blew me away, there had never been a film like it.
I decided I wanted to spend the summer living like Jeremiah Johnson.
Two buddies and I spent five months training, we practiced renting horses, making panniers and tying our own diamond hitches. We bought rifles and practiced shooting, including, of course, a .50 Hawken.
There was nowhere in America that was wild enough, too many fences, so we went to the wilderness of British Columbia and spent the summer up there. We rented horses and lived in the wilderness. Lots of Griz near Manson Creek BC but fortunately none ever attacked us.
Fortunately, there were no Crow Indians to throw spears at us.

Bar and chain oil are pretty nasty so I switched to canola oil. It's probably better for the environment than conventional fossil fuel oil, but I really just prefer the smell. I also hate petrochemicals

I love the smell of bar oil in the morning! Seriously I really do.
I also love the smell of 2 stroke oil smoke coming out of my badass Stihl.

Reactions: Ashful
Thankfully I run an 18” bar and know where 18” is from the tip (first bar nut on mine) so I put the tip at the end of the log with the saw parallel to the log, look down at where the nut is in relation to the log, turn saw 90° and make a mark. I make all my marks and then cut. the magnetic attachment seems like a good alternative if you wanted to spend a little money on a solution plus it’s adjustable.
Ditto with the bar method. Don't have OCD so an inch or 2 variance in length doesn't bother me.

Anybody who remembers the great quotes from Jeremiah Johnson can't be all bad. I was 22 when that movie came out in Atlanta in January 1973. This movie just blew me away, there had never been a film like it.
I decided I wanted to spend the summer living like Jeremiah Johnson.
Two buddies and I spent five months training, we practiced renting horses, making panniers and tying our own diamond hitches. We bought rifles and practiced shooting, including, of course, a .50 Hawken.
There was nowhere in America that was wild enough, too many fences, so we went to the wilderness of British Columbia and spent the summer up there. We rented horses and lived in the wilderness. Lots of Griz near Manson Creek BC but fortunately none ever attacked us.
Fortunately, there were no Crow Indians to throw spears at us.
Wow. I wish i would have had a chance to live like that for a spell....i imagine it was a great experience. Its one of my all time favorites and what got me started into learning to trap.

Wow. I wish i would have had a chance to live like that for a spell....i imagine it was a great experience. Its one of my all time favorites and what got me started into learning to trap.
"Use the scent, boy. They won't come in without the scent."

Reactions: Grizzerbear
I carry a small short hand pruning saw and use it with my measuring stick to make a quick back and forth cut as I walk down the log.
This is exactly what I do. Honestly, I hear others talk about all their convoluted methods, and think they're all just wasting their time. Nothing beats a measuring stick in one hand with a top-handle saw in the other, as long as you don't cross-up which hand is which.

If you do, your buddies will just have to call you "Leftie", like you call a bald friend Curley or your fat buddy Slim.

This is exactly what I do. Honestly, I hear others talk about all their convoluted methods, and think they're all just wasting their time.

Using the (Chain)saw you’re cutting with seems pretty cut n dry (pun intended) so long as you know where your desired length ends up being on the saw. You can do it as you go up the log so only one pass is needed. To each their own but having two extra items makes the bucking process more convoluted, to me anyways.

Using the (Chain)saw you’re cutting with seems pretty cut n dry (pun intended) so long as you know where your desired length ends up being on the saw. You can do it as you go up the log so only one pass is needed. To each their own but having two extra items makes the bucking process more convoluted, to me anyways.
You have a point there, for the folks who do their bucking in the woods, and only want to carry one saw with them. But I always have my top handle with me when I'm in the woods, and I also do all of my measuring and bucking where I split and stack, skidding the logs whole to get them there.

I've tried the "turn and cut" method with my 036 wearing a 20" bar, and it works, but no way is it faster than a measuring stick with the top handle saw. I can mark out my typical 15 foot logs in just a few seconds, and like getting your deposit back after purchase, the thing I'm marking with is doing some of the cutting.

Agreed 100%. Saw already has a measuring stick built in.

Bar on the chainsaw . . . it worked when I was a kid sawing wood for Dad and it works now.