Meat smoking wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TheAardvark

Burning Hunk
Oct 26, 2015
Central PA
I got a bunch of cherry wood and I am setting some aside to turn into smoker chips. My question is does anyone know if there is a difference in sap wood vs heart wood in the flavor? I dont have experience except for buying pre made chips and wasnt sure if the sap wood sections are undesireable for smoking.

Thanks

There is no difference. I smoke with cherry and oak.. sometimes hickory .. its all good.. i burn it all chunks.. small splits.. just burn it
20160618_111329.jpg

Ditto! I just started smoking, and my kids gave me bags of "chunked" wood that they bought. The bought wood was whatever the "chunking" machine broke up: knots, sapwood, heartwood, even branches. All smoke the same. Curt

Reactions: TheAardvark
Ditto! I just started smoking, and my kids gave me bags of "chunked" wood that they bought. The bought wood was whatever the "chunking" machine broke up: knots, sapwood, heartwood, even branches. All smoke the same. Curt

Im using all the odd pieces that i dont put in the stove.. mostly using oak.. and cherry with some hickory.. cooking for free is a bonus also...if i have rounds like 6 to 10 inches .. that gets split and goes right to the smoker pile

I love smoking brisket with oak mixed with the coals, gives it a little bark to the bite.