minimum flue length: im in trouble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lit it up today here is what happened. got it started with door craked open. After it got going good a craked open door was too much but a losed door didnt alow enough draft i think. With the door closed burning kiln dried pine the secondaries would light up with the draft all the way open. Think ill try another stick of inslated on top and see how that works. OAK not hooked up either, just cracked open a window near the stove. Thanx

the pipe is about 2" short of sliding all the way up on prefab flue connector doo i need to ut a 2" piece or raise stove up?

edit: threw a paper plate on top of hot coals. about 20 seconds later the gases exploded with a swoosh if that in fo helps(air still wide open).

8 feet total is too short, especially in a milder climate. You should plan on adding at least another 4 feet of pipe.

NFPA and every building code requires a min of 3 ft above penetration min (10 ft-2ft-3ft rule). You should aim for a min 14 of pipe from top of stv to top of chim. Also what temps is it outside while your doing this? its not that cold in New England, sure can't be very cold in NC

been low 30s at night 50s during some 60s. I live in the mtns.

You need more pipe to make that stove behave. Even in those beautiful mountains.

will i need the full 15ft recomended from the floor or try a section at a time? Goter good and hot this morn and shut the door. Maintain a secondary for 5 to 10 min. Geez people try so hard to do that and thats all i get!? but i have to get it hot( no thermometer yet but pipe not red. It is 53 deg out side. NO draft at all until i got it hot. Burning wood is good for the soul and stress.

You could try it with 4 more feet for a total of 12'. That should make quite a difference. The stove will perform better as it gets colder. Be sure to brace or guy the pipe at about the 5 ft. point of the exterior pipe.

around 40 or lower which it got to 30 last night i was able to close the primary to help maintain a longer secondary. The fire dancing around in midair in stove was neat. We always used smoke dragon when i was little and dad believes wide open on his new epa all the time.

I'm sure he's got experience, but dad sounds like he might be a little hard on stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.