Mount Vernon 4 speed convection blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MPC

Jan 12, 2017
WA
Last year convection blower/room blower on my mount Vernon 4 speed started squeaking. Put some grease on it and it’s been fine and still is as far as noise but now I have another issue. Recently the convection blower will turn on and off multiple times on startup and sometimes it will just turn slowly and do this for a while before actually turning on and functioning the way it should. This is part number 7000-108. Does anyone know if this is a fan motor going out or is it linked to the control box and maybe something wrong with the control box?

Is it coming on and off before you even have a fire? What turn the convection blower on is a normally open snap switch that closes when your stove gets hot. If the blower is flickering, try bypassing that switch to see if it runs constantly. If so, buy a new switch ($10-$15 part) but if the blower is still hesitating, the motor is probably on its way out. Of course, that being said, control boards can make stoves to some strange things, so if you think the board isn’t sending consistent voltage, rig yourself a direct power cord for the fan using an old lamp cord and see how she runs then.

Reactions: kappel15
If heat setting is low then power is also lower at convection blower. Assuming you have increased turning resistance in bearings, the convection fan will turn very slow. Try firing up stove on high setting to see if fan runs strong consistently.

Reactions: kappel15
Is it coming on and off before you even have a fire? What turn the convection blower on is a normally open snap switch that closes when your stove gets hot. If the blower is flickering, try bypassing that switch to see if it runs constantly. If so, buy a new switch ($10-$15 part) but if the blower is still hesitating, the motor is probably on its way out. Of course, that being said, control boards can make stoves to some strange things, so if you think the board isn’t sending consistent voltage, rig yourself a direct power cord for the fan using an old lamp cord and see how she runs then.

It’s coming on at the appropriate time after the flame has been going for a few minutes. It’s just turning slowly, then kicks on full blast and off again. Does this for a few minutes and then turns on correctly.

I believe I found the problem. I checked snap disk 1 to try and run it manually only to find one of the connections was very loose. After unplugging the stove I tried to remove the lead from the snap disk and the prong coming from the snap disk broke right off with ease. My guess is loose connection causing it to start up and time off. Thank you both for your input.

We may have just solved it.

Thanks!

Not sure what would cause the snap disk to melt. The wire/clip were blackened also.

Attachments

• 4F778042-C8C3-4951-8EA2-41F7D4731C93.jpeg
    4F778042-C8C3-4951-8EA2-41F7D4731C93.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 313
Not sure what would cause the snap disk to melt. The wire/clip were blackened also.
You’ll probably want to cut out some of that purple wire and replace the burn connector. Barrel connectors work great for splicing in anew piece of wire and those spades are available at any hardware store. Glad you found the problem.

Reactions: MPC