Moving your wood from outside to stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I was eyeing one at Menards the other day but decided not to. Looks handy for those with a single level home.
That's where I got mine. Was cheaper than a regular dolly. I have pulled it up a couple steps to my deck before, but no steps inside from the wood box to the stove.

Craigslist usually has a bunch of them anywhere from $20-$50 depending how nice they are and what they were used for. They're pretty standard for chemicals used on farms but are also used in most any bulk liquids for food industry. The plastic tanks protected by the cages are often rated at 300, 320, 330 gallons and are referred to as IBC totes.

Around here, farmers give them away but keep in mind they contained pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, etc... We usually just burn the tanks out of them.
IN RED....The plastic tanks?....damn the greenies will chit their collective pants.

Look on Craigslist, most of the folks listing them tell you what were in there.

What kind of motorized beast is that?
US Army FLU 419 Special Emplacement Excavator. Its Mercedes Unimog 406 beefed up chassis with Case Backhoe in the back and a Schmidt Front End loader (Schmidt is major accessory supplier to Mercedes). The US military bought them for war in Europe against the Soviets but by the time they were delivered Soviet Union was no more so most were not used. Mine had 40 hours and 350 miles on the odo and some were rebuilt from the frame up and never used before they were auctioned off. The military got rid of the last of them about 3 years ago. Given what is going on in the Ukraine, I wonder if they wish they still had some they could ship over there.;)

Last edited:
US Army FLU 419 Special Emplacement Excavator. Its Mercedes Unimog 406 beefed up chassis with Case Backhoe in the back and a Schmidt Front End loader (Schmidt is major accessory supplier to Mercedes). The US military bought them for war in Europe against the Soviets but by the time they were delivered Soviet Union was no more so most were not used. Mine had 40 hours and 350 miles on the odo and some were rebuilt from the frame up and never used before they were auctioned off. The military got rid of the last of them about 3 years ago. Given what is going on in the Ukraine, I wonder if they wish they still had some they ship over there.;)

BTW, mine cost me considerably less than a new Kubota loader backhoe and its road legal. The trade off its a complex vehicle and no one works on them. It is equipped with an auxiliary hydraulic system with 50' hoses on a reel, I finally got a hydraulic chainsaw they were originally equipped with but have not used it. It also came with a hydraulic pavement breaker and a rock drill.

oshkosh-jpg.66840
Tax dollars at work.😁

Last edited: