Moving your wood from outside to stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My wheelbarrow is only 34 years old but starting to show its age.

I prefer to use my SEE to move wood around but its too big to get to the back of my house so the wheelbarrow gets used for about 40 feet. View attachment 290929
Loves me a Uni Mog!

IMG_5099.JPG

Store 12 cords in my shed year round.

IMG_0384.JPG

I do my transfer from the big lower shed via the 3ph box which is on casters. This wood box carries a 3 day supply. I fill the box and transport up to the covered patio deck at the house. I simply back up to the deck and it rolls right off of the 3 ph

IMG_0357.JPG

Thats how I handle it.

I keep about 2 cord on the porch for the stove. Next year I'll be hanging a tarp to enclose though. Wood can get some blown in snow during the right conditions. For the wood furnace, all goes down the stair well from the bilco doors. I can usually get about 3 cord in before the well gets jammed up to the top. 11 plus cords last winter for the furnace. This year I got our old stove running and I've been ignoring the furnace. I refuse to burn hardwoods in the furnace that are nice splits and rounds for the stove. Big uglies, yes .....
I don't have much for the furnace this year and I'm on my 6th cord with the stove. I'm coming out a bit ahead this winter, and it's been much colder.

Reactions: rottiman
With the totes left outside do you see a difference in the wood near bottom...seems like the wind would drive rain ...
No different than a stack of wood outside only top covered IMHO.

The problem I had this year and never in the past was, the squirrels decided it would be a good idea to use some of my totes for their walnut stash. In the process of doing that, they messed up the plastic on the top, and that let water in. We got a ton of rain in early winter too. :(I’ve been bringing totes into my barn letting them sit before I burn them.

Going to shuffle some things around in my barn this year so I can fit all 8 in there and out of the weather before winter and when the squirrels start burying their nuts.

Reactions: MR. GLO
Since the bicentennial we've used this canvas wrap, we lay it flat stack a bunch of wood in close it up with the canvas handles and you're ready to travel. We split small, OnlY slightly larger than 2x4 So I can load it up for a one handed carry.

Larger overnight bankers I carry 2 or 3 on the shoulder wearing a Carhartt jacket.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I use the Radio Flyer wagon to get wood from racks to walkway. My daughter got this wagon when she was 1. She is now 26. ;lol Then i use a canvas bag to bring wood into the house through the front door to fill rack right outside slider door near our wood stove. I store some wood in a tote next to stove because I do not want bugs in the house especially the nasty stink bugs that love to winter over in my wood. We are not full time burners.

Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 10.48.17 AM.png 66509191977__01B4373A-86E7-4BD2-B227-26D8A5B82295.jpg

I have a 5 cord wood bin in the carport, maybe 10 feet away (through the wall) from where the stove sits. It gets packed tight so only seasoned wood goes in there. I wheelbarrow the wood directly into the house to fill a wood rack. The wood rack is good for 10-14+ days worth of burning depending on the outside temperature. Six wheelbarrow loads fills the wood rack, but I have a divider in the middle. We pull from one side while the other sits for 5+ days in the warmest room in the house.

The biggest pain for me has been cutting all my splits short to fit the Summit. The All Nighter took a much longer log, so I end up cutting 4" or more off of all my splits. It will take me a few years to get through everything I had stacked when I got the Summit. I built a shortening jig/rack, similar to someone else's design, so it isn't too terrible. Thanks to whoever posted that design on here.

The stubby ends are good for weekend burning or keeping the stove running at peak BTUs for extended periods on really cold days.

20220130_101214.jpg

I use the Radio Flyer wagon to get wood from racks to walkway. My daughter got this wagon when she was 1. She is now 26. ;lol Then i use a canvas bag to bring wood into the house through the front door to fill rack right outside slider door near our wood stove. I store some wood in a tote next to stove because I do not want bugs in the house especially the nasty stink bugs that love to winter over in my wood. We are not full time burners.

View attachment 291020 View attachment 291021
Where did you get the pileated woodpeckers on the log? My parents would love that. No, I am not saying you are old! I am old enough to have a 26 yr old. They just happen to like pileated woodpeckers.

I have a 5 cord wood bin in the carport, maybe 10 feet away (through the wall) from where the stove sits. It gets packed tight so only seasoned wood goes in there. I wheelbarrow the wood directly into the house to fill a wood rack. The wood rack is good for 10-14+ days worth of burning depending on the outside temperature. Six wheelbarrow loads fills the wood rack, but I have a divider in the middle. We pull from one side while the other sits for 5+ days in the warmest room in the house.

The biggest pain for me has been cutting all my splits short to fit the Summit. The All Nighter took a much longer log, so I end up cutting 4" or more off of all my splits. It will take me a few years to get through everything I had stacked when I got the Summit. I built a shortening jig/rack, similar to someone else's design, so it isn't too terrible. Thanks to whoever posted that design on here.

The stubby ends are good for weekend burning or keeping the stove running at peak BTUs for extended periods on really cold days.

View attachment 291132
Do you miss your Moe at all? I love mine. It burns fairly efficiently when treated right. Not as good as modern stoves but it's not in the dark ages either.

Comparatively, how do you like the Summit.

Do you miss your Moe at all? I love mine. It burns fairly efficiently when treated right. Not as good as modern stoves but it's not in the dark ages either.

Comparatively, how do you like the Summit.
I miss the BTUs the All Nighter put out. The Summit can't match it. I do not miss the creosote the All Nighter made. I did not run it irresponsibly, but I still had a lot more accumulation with the old stove.

I have no regrets, and really like the Summit. I like the glass door more than I thought I would. It is a great stove.

I miss the BTUs the All Nighter put out. The Summit can't match it. I do not miss the creosote the All Nighter made. I did not run it irresponsibly, but I still had a lot more accumulation with the old stove.

I have no regrets, and really like the Summit. I like the glass door more than I thought I would. It is a great stove.
I guess that's what I'm comparing Moe to the newer stoves by, BTUs. I can really get this thing ripping when needed. At one point, for an experiment I didn't push any further, I had a 60qt stock pot on top, without a lid, and boiled the water with ease. I was going to circulate the water into another room and use a heat exchanger. I decided it would end up consuming more wood, pulling more heat from the stove. I'm glad I didn't I'm on my last cord and a half of dry wood.

I've never had the pleasure of cleaning a modern stove's flue.

Last edited:
welp i pretty much have like 80 percent of my wood close by to my house i have about 3 cords or so in my mudroom the 8 cords on my front porch plus another 6 or so split between ti different rooms in my garage

Reactions: all night moe
I guess that's what I'm comparing Moe to the newer stoves by, BTUs. I can really get this thing ripping when needed. At one point, for an experiment I didn't push any further, I had a 60qt stock pot on top, without a lid, and boiled the water with ease. I was going to circulate the water into another room and use a heat exchanger. I decided it would end up consuming more wood, pulling more heat from the stove. I'm glad I didn't I'm on my last cord and a half of dry wood.

I've never had the pleasure of cleaning a modern stove's flue.

I have a friend who has been heating his entire house for 25 year in Portland Maine ( fairly cold area) with a fisher clone in his basement of his ranch and a heat exchanger on top of the stove. He has backup oil so all he does is lock out the burner with a relay and circulate water through the heat exchanger on top of the stove. If the house is not calling for heat the system dumps it into a modine type heater in a basement addition. He has safety systems on the system, but normally he just feeds the stove and its automatic. In the case of power outage he can flip the heat exchanger out of the way and run it like a regular wood stove. I still think he would be better off with wood boiler but it works and he is happy with it.

Reactions: all night moe
I'll admit it . . . I handle my wood way more than I should.

I'll spare you the steps it takes in terms of processing until the point where I move it from the outside stacks to the stacks in the woodshed.

From the woodshed I either use a wheel barrow or the two LL Bean firewood slings to stack about two weeks' worth of wood on the back covered porch. I then bring in a day's worth of wood every day and stack that in the woodbox next to the stove . . . once again with the firewood slings.

Where did you get the pileated woodpeckers on the log? My parents would love that. No, I am not saying you are old! I am old enough to have a 26 yr old. They just happen to like pileated woodpeckers.
We had it done by Stringham Carvings in Crossnore NC. He does really nice work. We have a pileated woodpecker who lives near our cabin and is always around. The top of the carving has a bluebird. I am always rescuing blue birds from our wood stove every spring. We asked him to make something incorporating those 2 things. Only problem we had was the wood had sawyer beetles in it. We've had 5 hatch so far. Those bugs are ginormous with giant curled antenna. I'm hoping we don't see anymore.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I bring it in 1/2 cord at a time on a small trailer. Wood is tossed thru lower level window and stacked nearby in a corner.

Storage area holds 1 full cord with a divider, 1/2 cord per side.

Wood comes in at 15% moisture content (measured after 24 hrs. inside, fresh split). It is exposed to a very arid winter heating environment for about 2 weeks with a moisture content of 10% by the time I need to burn it.
casewood.jpg

stovewood.jpg

I always find these strings so interesting. I am impressed by all of the creative solutions that people come up with.

I was able to plan for bringing wood in to feed our wood furnace when I planned for the house we built, heating with wood was a part of the plan from the start! In the corner of the basement where the wood rack is I put in a 36" wide by 36" high door. It opens into an egress well. I built a wooden chute that just rests on top of the well wall and slopes through the door. Back a full load on the Polaris Ranger up to the ramp and I can toss the wood down a handful at a time. About 2 1/2 to 3 Ranger loads and the wood will be up to the chute. It gets piled and the next loads go in. I put in just over 4 cord and burn about 3 1/2 in a typical winter. It all gets stacked in the basement in the fall doesn't get moved again until it gets loaded into the furnace!

20211106_100654_resized.jpg
20211106_094116_resized.jpg
20211106_102323_resized.jpg

I handle firewood as little as possible from start to finish. I split my wood directly into IBC tote cages, top cover enough for one burning season in early fall then move it into my attached garage via my compact tractor with forks. From the totes I put it in a plastic storage tote with wheels and drag it right next to the stove. The tote holds enough for one day. I have 42 totes that hold 3.5 years worth of wood.

F27935D4-3CBB-457C-BD7B-6BB4DE29C8DF.jpeg CF18E370-BBB0-431D-B5D8-D590051C0A38.jpeg

I was eyeing one at Menards the other day but decided not to. Looks handy for those with a single level home.
You might be OK with that one from Menard's. I use a hand truck with wheels about that size and load a garbage can with about 60 pieces of wood. It's not too hard to pull it up stairs. Granted, I only have to go up a few stairs to my front porch.

I handle firewood as little as possible from start to finish. I split my wood directly into IBC tote cages, top cover enough for one burning season in early fall then move it into my attached garage via my compact tractor with forks. From the totes I put it in a plastic storage tote with wheels and drag it right next to the stove. The tote holds enough for one day. I have 42 totes that hold 3.5 years worth of wood.

View attachment 291498 View attachment 291499
I see those totes around alot. Where do you guys get them? Are they a throwaway byproduct from something?

I see those totes around alot. Where do you guys get them? Are they a throwaway byproduct from something?
Craigslist usually has a bunch of them anywhere from $20-$50 depending how nice they are and what they were used for. They're pretty standard for chemicals used on farms but are also used in most any bulk liquids for food industry. The plastic tanks protected by the cages are often rated at 300, 320, 330 gallons and are referred to as IBC totes.

Around here, farmers give them away but keep in mind they contained pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, etc... We usually just burn the tanks out of them.