Moving your wood from outside to stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

snobuilder

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2021
WI
Burning wood in a serious manner is a ton of work.
Just wondering how youse handle the task of getting your wood to it's final destination.
Loaded UTV
20220127_162658.jpg
In the door
20220127_162950.jpg
Through the floor
20220127_163005.jpg

Last edited:
Mine went down the basement last September
Outside entrance Nice dry warm wood
just a few feet from the furnace.
No-fuss no muss sweep up bits once a week
And I have never in 42 years had a bug problem
Have only used well seasoned hard wood

I have a face cord rack in my garage that I enter through a door in my basement. Then I have a rack next to the hearth (scrounged an Ikea thing from the trash in my neighborhood...) Contains about 4 loads, so everything can get up to temp nicely before getting stuffed in the stove.

I use this canvas bag thing to carry it in. (Wheelbarrow from shed to garage.)

Bucket of kindling and some paper behind it - but I'm burning too continuous these days to need that.

The rest of the junk there is from the other inhabitants of my home...

16433320864178531451518410479701.jpg

I have a rack that holds a cord right out the back door of my walk out basement. I just carry an arm load in at a time. I do have a wood cart but generally find it easier to carry a load at a time.

When that needs filled I park the dump truck next to the stacks and tell the kids to load it. I then drive to the back deck dump it and they get to restack it. Actually my 12 year old daughter has started driving it and dumping it as well. But if they fill the truck full it only gets done a few times through the winter.

I like putzing around, I build a woodshed that holds 2 years worth of wood in my driveway near the house (garage access) I have a wood rack in the garage that will last about 10days when filled to the top (I dont hit that rack until the snow starts falling, below zero or when spring is near and I need to empty it) I carry in via wheel barrel from the shed to my galvanized feed bucket by the stove while the weather is decent, lately I've been bringing in a little more wood so I can have 3 days worth at room temps (makes for instant lighting once loaded on a hot ash bed)
This method seems like a lot more work then it has to be, but again, it forces me to do something and plan accordingly, I like staying busy.

Same here. I thought to burn down half the garage rack and then refill. But I'm refilling every 2 days... Th bottom wood is getting a bit old.

I also like to walk and look at my 3 yr wood shed in the other corner of my lot. Just a "property inspection" ...

My winters wood is stacked in combination of woodshed and covered piles on either side of the woodshed. I wheelbarrow the wood to my bulkhead about 40 feet max and fill if up by just dumping the wood in. The interior door is a solid core wood door that is beat up. Then when I burn I just open the interior door watching out for an initial avalanche when I open the door after filling and then walk it over to the boiler and load it in.

My winters wood is stacked in combination of woodshed and covered piles on either side of the woodshed. I wheelbarrow the wood to my bulkhead about 40 feet max and fill if up by just dumping the wood in. The interior door is a solid core wood door that is beat up. Then when I burn I just open the interior door watching out for an initial avalanche when I open the door after filling and then walk it over to the boiler and load it in.
Using gravity to my advantage is getting more and more useful as I get older. I wore out many wheelbarrows as well.

6' rack on our glassed-in porch. Holds about a week's worth, +/-. Haul with FEL on tractor (48" bucket) when the rack gets low or if hard weather is coming in. Canvas bag then from rack to stove.

Using gravity to my advantage is getting more and more useful as I get older. I wore out many wheelbarrows as well.
My wheelbarrow is only 34 years old but starting to show its age.

I prefer to use my SEE to move wood around but its too big to get to the back of my house so the wheelbarrow gets used for about 40 feet. PA040282.JPG

I have a rack outside my slider that holds a bit over 1/2 cord. Inside rack that holds 3-5 days of wood depending on the temps.

I do much as bholler, I have a walk-out basement, and a patio outside the door guarded by a porch overhang. I carry two satchels [1] that I carry out with me, fill, and carry in for each stove load. Splitting the 75 lb. of oak into two satchels makes them easier to carry and keeps me balanced heading up the steps.

But I do have a twist on it, that I've not seen others use here. I burn about 10 cords per year, and was getting tired of moving the wood into my loader bucket or wagon, then moving it a second time into a rack on the patio. So I purchased a small articulating farm wagon [2] rated at 4000 lb., which I fill with wood and simply park on the patio. Learning to back up a loaded articulating wagon was a thing, the first few times I had to do it, after a lifetime backing up regular boat and landscape trailers. But after some practice, it's really not as impossible as everyone likes to claim it is, I have no trouble hitting the narrow window required to articulate it 90-degrees onto my patio.

Here's some photos from the first attempts, back when I used to put a hitch on the bucket and push the wagon, but now I just hook it to the rear hitch and back it in. The wood is always there, always dry, and I only have to touch it once in the process of moving it from my wood lot to the house.

IMG_1490.JPGIMG_1488.JPG

[1] - Amazon item B00525ZNOG
[2] - https://www.countrymfgstore.com/2tonutwa.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I fill my wheelbarrow up at the woodshed, go across the driveway and also run it up a ramp, a long 2X10, to get up the step to the our enclosed porch. I replaced the pieced together old wood rack with one that like shortys777 7‘s holds a little over a half cord. I had just finished replacing the porch front wall and was in a building frame of mind. In the house the wood goes into a box near the stove. It’s on wheels and tucks under a side table.

61F1A068-CC7D-4395-9FAF-AD5355ECF305.jpeg 255D447C-A364-4718-B075-672241DB8FF2.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a just shy of half cord wood rack I built out of a ladder rack from a tool truck on my covered front porch. I fill it up from my wood stacks with the truck most of the time. Then I just arm it in one load at a time when I need it. Most of the mess is normally right on the hearth pad which I sweep up with a little hand broom and dust pan and toss in the stove after its loaded.

I do much as bholler, I have a walk-out basement, and a patio outside the door guarded by a porch overhang. I carry two satchels [1] that I carry out with me, fill, and carry in for each stove load. Splitting the 75 lb. of oak into two satchels makes them easier to carry and keeps me balanced heading up the steps.

But I do have a twist on it, that I've not seen others use here. I burn about 10 cords per year, and was getting tired of moving the wood into my loader bucket or wagon, then moving it a second time into a rack on the patio. So I purchased a small articulating farm wagon [2] rated at 4000 lb., which I fill with wood and simply park on the patio. Learning to back up a loaded articulating wagon was a thing, the first few times I had to do it, after a lifetime backing up regular boat and landscape trailers. But after some practice, it's really not as impossible as everyone likes to claim it is, I have no trouble hitting the narrow window required to articulate it 90-degrees onto my patio.

Here's some photos from the first attempts, back when I used to put a hitch on the bucket and push the wagon, but now I just hook it to the rear hitch and back it in. The wood is always there, always dry, and I only have to touch it once in the process of moving it from my wood lot to the house.

View attachment 290936View attachment 290937

[1] - Amazon item B00525ZNOG
[2] - https://www.countrymfgstore.com/2tonutwa.html
Yeah backing an articulating cart is definitely a different skill that takes getting used to

Yeah backing an articulating cart is definitely a different skill that takes getting used to
The secret, for anyone who wants to try it, is a long drawbar for the hitch. If you put a hitch ball to close to the rear axle, you don't have the swing required to steer the long draw bar on the wagon. I mount a hitch receiver to the back of my ballast box, and then slide a hitch into that, which puts the pintle probably close to 4 feet behind my rear axle. It works pretty well, as long as I can get my brain out of boat trailer mode and into wagon mode.

Of course, after a long heating season of using this wagon, I probably don't look as expert as I used to, the first time back at the boat ramp each spring. 😂

Reactions: bholler
I have a walk out basement in my house. I made a dolly to drop a tote on, and then I wheel it near the furnace. Been doing it this way for about four years now. No problems with mice or bugs so far. Each tote holds about 1/3 a cord roughly.

View attachment 290985 View attachment 290986
With the totes left outside do you see a difference in the wood near bottom...seems like the wind would drive rain ...

Wood goes from wood shed to my wood trailer, an old trailer I put a top and sides on. I park the trailer next to the house.
20220128_160955.jpg
From there it goes through a window into a woodbox(holds half a cord) to feed the stove.
20220128_162403.jpg
or down a chute through the basement window into a collapsible tote(holds .75 cord) next o the wood furnace.
I got one of those firewood dollies to haul the wood from the box to by the stove.

Will take some brain storming and I little trial and error to find the best way. Had a couple different setups before getting it the way I like it.