My Progress has shipped!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The good news is my Progress shipped today! The bad news is it will not ship with the ashlip - so I cannot install it until I get the lip since my Hearth is not adequate without it. WS recommended I wait rather than try to jury rig a better hearth. >:-(

The good news is my Progress shipped today! The bad news is it will not ship with the ashlip - so I cannot install it until I get the lip since my Hearth is not adequate without it. WS recommended I wait rather than try to jury rig a better hearth.

I'm in the same boat, Tony. The thing is, Woodstock basically has to not recommend jury rigging something. If you use some common sense related to what the ash lip actually does, I'm sure you can easily create a safe, temporary fix. I plan to. ;-)

Tony, could you go to a hardware store and buy a simple stove pad and place that in front? Seems that it would work okay.

Todd said:
I won't tell if you don't.

I hear that Todd.. Does it REALLY make that much difference??

Ray

You guys are messing with my brain. I resigned myself to waiting for the ashlip, now you got me thinking. I was going to layer HardieBacker boards to the required thickness, and even screw down to my existing hearth, but I got a thumbs down from WS. Common sense says as long as I get R=0.8 twelve inches in front of the stove, I should be ok. I thought those hearth pads at the hardware store were expensive, Dennis?

Common sense says as long as I get R=0.8 twelve inches in front of the stove, I should be ok. I thought those hearth pads at the hardware store were expensive, Dennis?

You should be more than fine with that (in reality the required R-value decreases with distance). The ash lip is 3.5" deep and since it has no R-value to speak of, all it does is deflect the radiation that would otherwise travel in "straight" lines down from the window. There is no need to screw it down as long as it won't get moved. As long as the temp pad begins right below the door where the ash lip screws on there can be no reason why this would be less safe than the ash lip since WS gives the 0.8 heath option. WS has to give the thumbs down in this situation, but it doesn't make it any less safe.

The hearth pads are pricey. However, you could try one out for a couple weeks until the ash lip comes in and then take it back. This is done for insurance purposes all the time, not that I condone it.

Yeah, Woodstock can't tell you to rig anything because of liability just like I wouldn't tell you to just lay a cheap hearth rug in front and break in your stove. ;-)

Oh man.... I feel like I have a devil (with good intentions) on one shoulder and an angel on the other. I really want to get that stove up and running. You guys make excellent points, it's just as safe to rig something, but WS has to cover themselves. I will have to sleep on this one....

Once I get the sucker running, I promise to post lots of temps,times,load sizes and all the juicy details.

Give in to the devil. What does an angel know about fire anyway?

Flatbedford said:

Great line.... :p

Flatbedford said:

Steve: My wife and I got a good chuckle, I guess I can't argue with your logic. Right now the devil is winning, I think the angel just took a pitch fork to the eye. The trucking company called, it's really on it's way!

Hey Tony, you ordered yours during the open house didn't you?

Flatbedford said:

I'm officially adding this line to my favorite quotes heard here at hearth.com.

Waulie said:
Hey Tony, you ordered yours during the open house didn't you?

Waulie:

No, I ordered my stove at least 3 weeks before the open house. They said I was order #70 or so. They were able to fairly accurately predict the delivery time once the clearance #'s were finalized - I was told 2nd or 3d week in December.

Waulie:

No, I ordered my stove at least 3 weeks before the open house. They said I was order #70 or so. They were able to fairly accurately predict the delivery time once the clearance #‘s were finalized - I was told 2nd or 3d week in December.

Guess I'm just unlucky as mine still has not shipped. I can't figure out why but everytime I ask, "it will ship tomorrow".

When will tomorrow come?

I'm surprised at that, usually they are very accurate. Is your hearth/clearance all set?

I’m surprised at that, usually they are very accurate. Is your hearth/clearance all set?

I will finish redoing my hearth when I gain enough confidence in arrival estimates, since it involves having my current stove offline. I already pulled the stove off the hearth, ripped up all the old tile, placed new Durock, then put my stove back. I'm not really into moving the stove off and back on again for tiling since that will only take a day.

fire_man said:
You guys are messing with my brain. I resigned myself to waiting for the ashlip, now you got me thinking. I was going to layer HardieBacker boards to the required thickness, and even screw down to my existing hearth, but I got a thumbs down from WS. Common sense says as long as I get R=0.8 twelve inches in front of the stove, I should be ok. I thought those hearth pads at the hardware store were expensive, Dennis?

Tony, there is a big difference between a hearth pad and a stove board. The stove boards are cheap; just something to set stoves on that don't need lots of r value.

Waulie said:
Waulie:

No, I ordered my stove at least 3 weeks before the open house. They said I was order #70 or so. They were able to fairly accurately predict the delivery time once the clearance #‘s were finalized - I was told 2nd or 3d week in December.

Guess I'm just unlucky as mine still has not shipped. I can't figure out why but everytime I ask, "it will ship tomorrow".

When will tomorrow come?

Waulie, didn't you order without the legs and ash pan? If so, do not expect it before January. I hope I am wrong though.

Waulie, didn’t you order without the legs and ash pan? If so, do not expect it before January. I hope I am wrong though.

Nope. I ordered with the legs. I did order no ash pan, though. I've never been told that no ash pan would delay things. Frankly, if they're telling me "tomorrow", but it won't be until January, then it's not going to happen. The last time WS initiated any contact with me, they sent an email stating my ordered had been delayed until the week of Nov. 7th. Any information I've gotten this then has been because I've called them.

Of course, if I don't get the stove installed before Jan 1 it is going to cost a pretty penny (10% tax credit).

Waulie, I'll check on that tomorrow if you wish. I will be talking to them anyway.

Backwoods Savage said:
Waulie said:
Waulie:

When will tomorrow come?

Waulie, didn't you order without the legs and ash pan? If so, do not expect it before January. I hope I am wrong though.

I was told yesterday that the plinth base is not going to start shipping until mid January, subject to further testing and approval... At this rate, I'm worried I won't get mine until close to the end of the season.

Waulie, I’ll check on that tomorrow if you wish. I will be talking to them anyway.

I appreciate the offer Dennis, but forgive me if this just seems strange. Is there some secret handshake or code word to get accurate information from them? Over the last two weeks, I've been told it will be shipped "this week", "tomorrow", and even "today" several times. I have already paid for it. I don't think they're lying, but they sure seem drastically over optimistic.

Nater said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Waulie said:
I was told yesterday that the plinth base is not going to start shipping until mid January, subject to further testing and approval... At this rate, I'm worried I won't get mine until close to the end of the season.

I'm also waiting for the plinth base. I don't mind waiting because more reports on how well this stove burns on low output are needed for my final decision.
Also clearance results and hearth requirements for the plinth base may sway my decision as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.