My woodshed project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the beam down the center for load bearing strength sounds like the ticket. If you don't want to have posts up thru the floor you could pour some 2'x2' pads and put a support from it to your beam. I looks good tho ==c
I've decided to add a beam down the middle. Thanks

Yes, that should work well. It is a drag to fix it when it's full!
You may want to support the rim joists at the corner posts as well. That's a lot of weight on the fasteners at the corners?
I also put a dividing wall in the center. It really helps stabilize the rows. Allows you to take out one side at a time.

I haven't had much time to work on the shed but I was able to get some more done. I added a row of 4x6 posts down the middle with an additional 2x8 stringer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 386
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 370
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 351
Looking good webby. Are you going to side the two sides you have the perling on or leave the sides open?

Looking good webby. Are you going to side the two sides you have the perling on or leave the sides open?
I'm adding an overhang on all sides, then I will side the whole thing with rough sawn 5/4 boards. The front will be mostly open, like a barn that's missing it's doors.

Reactions: Osagebndr
Looks like a Motel Stix ;lol;lol

Reactions: BrotherBart
Looks like a Motel Stix ;lol;lol

For sure. Makes my $60 four cord steel shed look like crap. But neither one comes with a complimentary breakfast muffin and coffee.

Reactions: webby3650
I myself think it is turning out to be a good shed. Looks great.

I am green with envy for a woodshed like that. Ain't gonna build it. But would love to have it.

Good work webby.

Well now I guess you are gonna have to run electricity out there. You will need the ability to "leave the light on for us".;lol

Reactions: Osagebndr
Well now I guess you are gonna have to run electricity out there. You will need the ability to "leave the light on for us".;lol
I'd like to run some electricity out there! It's pretty far from the house with concrete in the way though.

If you add a non working toilet and some doors, you can offer this as a B&B. I'm trying to evict a squirrel family from my wood shed. They were never toilet trained.

i concur with the guys questioning the floor- just overall. i know nothing about the various fasteners. my redneck engineering just says no to floored woodsheds overall. i know you burn alot of hardwood, and its HEAVY. i looked on line at cord weights. 4 cords of red oak (green) is reportedly 20,000#...... thats alot of weight.

mine is nearlly identical, but wood sits on landscape timbers and pallets. heck, i would just fill that area in with stone! (I know $$$) its gonna be a nice looked shed!

i concur with the guys questioning the floor- just overall. i know nothing about the various fasteners. my redneck engineering just says no to floored woodsheds overall. i know you burn alot of hardwood, and its HEAVY. i looked on line at cord weights. 4 cords of red oak (green) is reportedly 20,000#...... thats alot of weight.

mine is nearlly identical, but wood sits on landscape timbers and pallets. heck, i would just fill that area in with stone! (I know $$$) its gonna be a nice looked shed!
Seriously, this thing is built like a tank! I could park cars on it.

The reason I elevated it was to get airflow under the wood. I'm sick of jacking with pallets! I wanted something that would look nice, utilize an area of my yard that was otherwise unusable, and alleviate some the headaches of stacking outdoors. I wont be stacking any green wood inside it, it just seems silly to stack green wood in an area that will have limited air flow.

Looks good. I have to build a new woodshed this year. I can't believe you're already able to dig! my ground is still frozen solid with 6-8 inches of snow. Melting nicely though.

I also want to build a raised floor for the extra airflow/level surface and no more pallets!

I think I spy some Cider? by the tractor too, helps right? :)

Looks good. I have to build a new woodshed this year. I can't believe you're already able to dig! my ground is still frozen solid with 6-8 inches of snow. Melting nicely though.

I also want to build a raised floor for the extra airflow/level surface and no more pallets!

I think I spy some Cider? by the tractor too, helps right? :)
It's IPA. You've gotta have some good brew with every good project!

The reason I elevated it was to get airflow under the wood. I'm sick of jacking with pallets! I wanted something that would look nice, utilize an area of my yard that was otherwise unusable, and alleviate some the headaches of stacking outdoors. I wont be stacking any green wood inside it, it just seems silly to stack green wood in an area that will have limited air flow.
A generous amount of space below the stacks is a good thing. When wood dries the moisture absorbing air becomes cooler and heavier and needs to fall away from the stack. It's not a torrent of air, but nevertheless it needs somewhere to go so more dry air can keep flowing in from the top. The gaps in the floor slats look like just the thing to allow steady removal of the damp air.

You might be surprised how well green wood will dry in your shed. It would certainly be worth experimenting.

None here either anymore and no mice in my woodshed. She is very turf protective. Walking in the woods one day she launched at four deer and ran them off. ;lol

woodpile panther.jpg

Only thing i worry about webby, and this is coming from a carpenter, is the rim joist fasteners failing. Your relying entirely on the nails to hold the rim joists to the outside of the posts. If you could have cut a slot to recess the 2x10s into the posts then you'd have had a pocket of wood to hold the joist up if it were to sag. Id lag bolt the chit out of those rim joists into the posts.

Love the idea though and I've already been planning something similar so I'll keep an eye on this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.