Mystery Fisher

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Volcom218

Dec 6, 2018
Minnesota
I recently came into possession of a fisher Stove as pictured. It seems to be a bit of an oddball. It has a bottom and rear heat shield, no UL listing or any other data plate, nor holes or rivets for one, and Fisher Brass and glass doors. Seems like a Grandma Bear 3. Here’s where it gets weird...

23 1/2” across.
7” Flue

The woman I bought it from gave me a teddy bear manual with it, and said her father bought it brand new in the 80’s. I was sceptical, but she swore if was new, and unmolested.

Any info would be appreciated.

Attachments

• C897539D-8E07-488F-A0F5-DC2E5128AECC.jpeg
    C897539D-8E07-488F-A0F5-DC2E5128AECC.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 597
Reactions: Todd67
Teddy Bear box with Grandma III glass doors.
They didn't put it on a pedestal like all Teddy Bears and used Fireplace legs.
I would be interested in what air intake system those doors have. The early III glass doors had holes above the glass with slider to adjust. It doesn't show very well in the picture. Teddy had solid doors with an intake damper on each door. Later Grandma III had side dampers for primary air and two sliders under doors with a slot along the front bottom for air wash.

This is the rear shield on a Teddy which is double like a Goldilocks. They didn't have a bottom shield.

Teddy Bear napa 7.jpg

The tag was riveted to the rear of pedestal on the Listed Teddy Bear. Yours wouldn't have a tag or be a Listed appliance since it was not tested as built.

I don't have a copy of the US. Teddy manual. If you want to sell it, I'd make it worth your while to ship it to me! Scanned copies are nice, but I upgrade them to original when possible for my collection.

Reactions: Volcom218
Welcome to the forum! Looks like you came to the right place for information on your stove :)

Reactions: Volcom218
Thanks for the response. I have spent a considerable amount of time reviewing the info on old fishers on this forum. What threw me off was the doors and lack of pedestal.

Were the grandma bear doors and legs an option from the factory for a teddy bear? Was it common? Custom? I wonder how a stove like this came to be?

Here’s a few better pictures of the doors and rear heat shield.

As far as the manual, I’d prefer to keep it with the stove.

Attachments

• B58A2FCE-58E2-48B4-86D5-AB61598E7934.jpeg
    B58A2FCE-58E2-48B4-86D5-AB61598E7934.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 515
  • EEBCD104-4E1E-46ED-B9C7-B35DE3E111A9.jpeg
    EEBCD104-4E1E-46ED-B9C7-B35DE3E111A9.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 512
  • D356970D-25D6-4879-83BD-FCA3A41850BE.jpeg
    D356970D-25D6-4879-83BD-FCA3A41850BE.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 503
I don't blame you for wanting to keep the manual with the stove. Coaly has dedicated many years and countless hours to make this forum a place (THE place) for all things Fisher Stove related. I don't think he has a copy of the Teddy Bear Manual because all he has posted on the forum is a Teddy Bear Brochure. It can be found in this link;
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/fisher-brochures.100409/#post-1656677

He has done a great job of sharing & posting owners manuals and information on Fisher Stoves. Do you have any way of making a copy of that manual in Adobe PDF format?

The Honey Bear Manual clearly shows the option to order the stove on a pedestal, or on legs. Does your Teddy Bear Manual show that option?

Fisher stoves were available in many different configurations, depending on the needs of the customer. Are there any markings on your stove such as stamped or welded numbers or letters? Sometimes they are very hard to see.

My coal bear has PA 0092 stamped above the top door on the right side
IMG_20181102_212415.jpg

My baby bear has them stamped on the rear, upper left side
IMG_20181030_173036813.jpg

My mama bear has them welded on the bottom of the stove. Many times, Coaly can tell where your stove was made, just by looking at those numbers and/or letters.

Yes, that is a Teddy box with the normal rear shield on it.
It wasn't an option as far as I know. Never saw literature, ads, or internal paperwork for a hybrid. Someone probably liked the size of Teddy (Just slightly smaller than Grandma) but wanted glass to view the fire. Or the builders came up with the idea and could have a made a few more. They could show up in time, or if it was from your state, the welders from Fenske Welding in Minnesota may come across this post and make themselves known. They were at RT 3 and Hwy 71, Bemidgi, Minnesota 56601.They couldn't do that with later Grandma III doors that didn't have intakes on them, so they either made it during the time period of the start of glass doors, or had to find older ones to add to a box without intakes.
Teddy has a welded pedestal only as well as Goldilocks. Honey Bears were the third pedestal style stove until the mobile home version with removable pedestal called Convertible. So far it's a one of a kind.

It wouldn't be difficult to remove a pedestal on one and drill and tap the corners for the bolt on optional legs that were later available. (Standard, Furniture and Bear were the bolt on legs) I call them Franken-Fishers

My coal bear has PA 0092 stamped above the top door on the right side
View attachment 235147

My baby bear has them stamped on the rear, upper left side
View attachment 235148

My mama bear has them welded on the bottom of the stove.

My, sounds like you have the whole dam family living with you! Plan on adopting any more family members?

I'll have to come back and read more about these stoves. I see them offered on Craigslist quite often

My, sounds like you have the whole dam family living with you! Plan on adopting any more family members?

I'll have to come back and read more about these stoves. I see them offered on Craigslist quite often

My Grandma Bear is in the garage, waiting for spring time so I can refurbish it. I havent had a chance to find any markings on the Grandma Bear yet. Looking to add a Papa Bear and a Grandpa Bear to the family whenever the right stove comes along for the right price >>

Last edited:

My Grandma Bear is in the garage, waiting for spring time so I can refurbish it. I havent had a chance to find any markings on the Grandma Bear yet. Looking to add a Papa Bear and a Grandpa Bear to the family whenever the right stove comes along for the right price >>[/QUOTE]

Heh, heh! Now I understand why I read complaints about unusually high prices for old, used Fisher stoves. YOU appear to be cornering the market!

I was reading an interesting thread in which someone was suggesting two wood stoves, a smaller one to use during shoulder seasons and a big one for the cold part of the winter. But it dounds like you have more stoves than that going!

I'd be interested to hear how you use these different stoves, and how you might use yet more of them.

And.... how does this affect your firewood consumption?!.

One thing I find appealing about wood stoves is that they allow people to express their values and personalities in how they heat their home, compared with central heating system that don't even involve pushing a button these days. So I'm interested inn how you express your personality through your collection of wood stoves.

I don't want to highjack this thread because Volcom218 has a stove that is far more interesting than any of my "ordinary" stoves. I want to hear more about his Teddy Bear stove>>, not that I am in the market for one... yet!

I heat my house with the Mama Bear that I bought in 2008. My Baby Bear was in my house when I bought the house in 2008, but it wasn't hooked up. So I finally got around to refurbishing it this fall. It sits in my mud room next to my Coal Bear that I also refurbished this fall. The Grandma Bear might be used to heat my detached garage next winter... or it might end up in the house next to my Coal and Baby Bear stoves, not installed, but just as furniture or "conversation" pieces. I was planning to use the Coal Bear to heat my garage but quickly changed my mind after I realized I might be better off heating it with a Papa Bear or a Grandpa Bear, neither of which I currently own.

Some people collect guns, I collect Fisher stoves. But I don't buy them to sell them at higher prices. in fact, I don't sell stoves, especially Fisher stoves. I also don't pay those ridiculous collector prices either. The most I have paid for any of my stoves is $300, and they all need TLC and new firebricks.

I'd be interested to hear how you use these different stoves, and how you might use yet more of them.
And.... how does this affect your firewood consumption?!.
One thing I find appealing about wood stoves is that they allow people to express their values and personalities in how they heat their home, compared with central heating system that don't even involve pushing a button these days. So I'm interested inn how you express your personality through your collection of wood stoves.

Collecting wood stoves has nothing to do with wood consumption. You don't burn collector stoves. I started with what could be found, then upgraded to a better one of each model when found. So the collection now consists of either the first models produced in Oregon, or the first fabricators, or new unfired stoves. Other facets of collecting include literature, accessories, memorabilia, promotional items, and dealer / company items and correspondence. So even those without a house or building designed for housing many stoves can collect items in one form or another.

Sounds like I wouldn't be a collector then, but I might copnsider experimenting with some different stoves.

I burn a single door stove in my house. I want to burn a double door stove in my garage. That would be the extent of my experimenting.

I burn a single door stove in my house. I want to burn a double door stove in my garage. That would be the extent of my experimenting.
You do know woodstoves in garages are against code right?

Sounds like I wouldn't be a collector then, but I might copnsider experimenting with some different stoves.
You really should experiment with modern stoves. There is only so much you can get out of plain old steel boxes.

You do know woodstoves in garages are against code right?

I haven't read that in any codes for NY State. It's almost the norm up here if someone wants to work in their garage during the winter. Woodstoves are much safer than electric or liquid fuel stoves like salamanders. But then again, it depends on the person using the heat source and how it is used.

I haven't read that in any codes for NY State. It's almost the norm up here if someone wants to work in their garage during the winter. Woodstoves are much safer than electric or liquid fuel stoves like salamanders. But then again, it depends on the person using the heat source and how it is used.
Nfpa 211 which is accepted fire code in NY states in

12.2.3 that solid fuel burning appliances shall not be installed in any location where gasoline or any other flammable vapors are present
And
12.2.4 that solid fuel appliances shall not be installed in any garage.

Yes lots of people including me do it. But be aware as I am that if you make an insurance claim involving that stove it probably will be denied.

Reactions: coaly and Todd67
Excellent, thanks for the info and the references! Good to know.

Excellent, thanks for the info and the references! Good to know.

I am not telling you not to do it but you need to be aware that it is against code and understand the potential consequences of installing a stove in a non compliant way.

I am not telling you not to do it but you need to be aware that it is against code and understand the potential consequences of installing a stove in a non compliant way.

I understand, and I appreciate the info.

Reactions: bholler
The main problem as I understand it is that any spill of gasoline is likely to create flammable vapors that are then looking for an ignition source. That's why gas water heaters were up 18" above the floor for years, to avoid having flammable vapors ignite off the pilot burner. I imagine that wood stoves are considered similar hazards.

I saw a video of gasoline vapors lighting off a water heater pilot and then the flame running back to a pool of gasoline, just like a fuse.

Pretty impressive! And sobering.

Seattle Pioneer

Last edited:
I can see where/how/why those vapors could create a fire hazard. Vapors are unpredictable.

"12.2.3 that solid fuel burning appliances shall not be installed in any location where gasoline or any other flammable vapors are present"

Would propane be considered a "other flammable vapor"? Would this prohibit a wood cook stove to be installed in a kitchen that also has a propane or NG stove?

No, appliances are fine. Flammable liquids vaporize for long periods of time. LP in liquid form vaporizes coming out of the tank or cylinder. It is supplied through outdoor lines up to 10 psi and indoor lines at approx.1/2 psi. Natural Gas is about 1/4 psi. When propane mixes with air it becomes too lean to burn very quickly. So it is much safer than liquids that vaporize slowly.It can become dangerous when the vapor is contained in a building or vehicle and builds up enough to mix with the oxygen to become explosive in a confined area. LP is heavier than air, so it drops to the floor and can be swept out of a building with broom or large piece of cardboard to waft it out. Natural Gas is lighter than air and rises. It takes approx. 70/1 ratio of air and propane for a proper burn, so low in the building is too rich to burn, middle is just right, high in the room is too lean. Since pilots have a safety which closes the safety valve on the gas valve at appliance if the pilot should go out, gas flow stops to pilot and main burner. LP containers are never to be taken into any building. Cylinders installed outside must be 10 feet from any ignition source, so if a wood stove is being used outside, 10 foot is the rule. BBQ grills, electric meter, A/C or heat pump, are all also ignition sources. It is not because the cylinder is hazardous, it is due to filling the tank or cylinder on site when vapor is released into the atmosphere. (The reason for 10 foot from openings into building such as windows below fill valve, doorway, dryer vents, etc.)

One consideration with propane lines inside in close proximity to a wood stove or any heat source is the regulated pressure inside the line increases when heated AFTER regulation. So expanding the fuel vapor in the line increases the working pressure. This is not a problem with constant flow with a pilot operated appliance, but an appliance with no flow when off (called lock up pressure when unit shuts off) such as controlled by an ignition control module allows the lock up pressure to rise and can light harsh with more pressure than normal system pressure when gas valve opens.

How rare is the teddy bear? I had never saw one until I bought it today. I originally thought this one was a grandma bear considering it had gm on the inside of the doors. On the tag it has teddy bear so I know it's a teddy along with 7" flu. I have been reading the posts on here and I am learning alot as I am collecting. Any info that on the teddy would be appreciated as I haven't saw as much on them as other stoves. I also included a picture of the teddy bear beside our honey bear. Big difference in stove size, however the actual inside of the firebox isn't but a couple of inches difference. Thanks in advance
Ps... it has the screen and all original tags ect.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201023-191233_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20201023-191233_Facebook.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 306
  • Screenshot_20201023-191229_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20201023-191229_Facebook.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 284
  • Screenshot_20201023-191226_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20201023-191226_Facebook.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 273
  • Screenshot_20201023-191224_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20201023-191224_Facebook.jpg