Need Help Choosing a Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HelpMe:)

Oct 6, 2011
Southern MN
Basically Cant afford anything over 1000
Would like to get an Englander 30 or a large Lopi but cant find one under 1000.

So a few stoves that I am looking at are:

Pleasent Hearth at Lowes 1800 sq for 650 heres the link
http://www.lowes.com/pd_144090-46631-LWS-127201-B_4294765283_4294937087_?productId=3260223&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1¤tURL;=/pl_Wood+Stoves+Wood+Furnaces_4294765283_4294937087_?Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo;=&state=R#BVRRWidgetID

OR

US Stove Model 2000 at Tractor Supply: for $599
http://www.tractorsupply.com/heatin...tove-with-blower-medium-epa-certified-1098917

OR

Moutaineer Stove on Ebay for $798
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOUNTAINEER...918?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2313af9316

If you know the pros and cons of these please let me know or out of these 3 which one would be the better choice if I had to get one of these.
I searched craigslist but just cant find one that looks any better than the new ones….
If anyone knows of an englander that I could get under 1000 please let me know soon
Or of any stoves better than these listed above for around the same price I would really appreciate it

I am very new to stoves but would really like to make our 500 a month gas bill in the winter go away.. I am home all day anyways and just have a very small stove that we would like to replace. thanks for any help.

If you look on Home Depot site and change your store to my stor in Pa. It will be 849 bux. My store is is zip code 15301 strabane twp or the first to pop up. And free shipping.

Can you afford to install properly with a good hearth and flue system?

My Uncle just bought a 2000. Had a few break in fires last week and had his 1st Full Fire this past weekend. If I remember correct it has a 1.9 cu ft firebox. Pretty good heater. Blower works well. Having said that, why not look at the Englander for $850 like stated above or the 13-NC off of www.overstockstoves.com?

Quite a few good stoves in that price range. Good luck.

If your not already aware of it, depending on what you have for a chimney, your costs for pipe alone can head towards the 750-1000 buck mark pretty easy. Look into the full "system", not just the stove.

Like BeGreen said make sure you have a good flue and hearth! No sense in burning down your house to save a few bucks. Also how is your wood supply?

Gary

Think long and hard about BeGreen's question above. The stove is just one component of the system, and it's not at all uncommon for a proper flue/chimney set up to cost as much as or more than the stove. Wood stoves all have requirements concerning minimum Clearance To Combustibles that really need to be considered in detail before just grabbing a stove and thinking you're gonna slap it in. Where it's going and what it's going to rest upon are critical considerations. If your entire budget for the whole project is $1000, the only way I can imagine pulling it off would be if your place already has a proper flue/chimney and hearth location where this appliance will be situated. Rick

Thanks Thats a Great deal on the Englander and will look into it for sure! Still learning but We have a stove already attached to the chimney with pipe and all. I will just have to figure out if I can attach it to that.. Im going to look up flue right now... For all of you laughing right now I warned you I was new to this stuff :)

If you'll describe to us in more detail what you're dealing with, we can be a good deal more help. Pictures would be worth a thousand posts. Rick

HelpMe:) said:
Thanks Thats a Great deal on the Englander and will look into it for sure! Still learning but We have a stove already attached to the chimney with pipe and all. I will just have to figure out if I can attach it to that.. Im going to look up flue right now... For all of you laughing right now I warned you I was new to this stuff :)

What KIND of stove???

Yes we actually have a small wood stove up stairs and a Hotblast add on furnace in the basement, Unfortunately we cant figure that one out and it doesnt seem to heat anything... But it is a very old farm house with a chimney. We were just going to try to replace the smaller stove with a larger one and maybe even remove the hotblast. The hearth we have may be to small for this type of stove however...

The hearth we have may be to small for this type of stove however...

You can usually do hearth extension for little bucks, so that might not be a deal breaker. Right now, I would be concerned with checking out your pipe and making sure that it is safe to go forward. Is it a 6" pipe? Clean? Insulate (or not)? Properly installed?

Fire god: I was talking about the Englander 30 That fire honor society gave me a link too on home depot. Here they are listed for around 1200 where he is they are listed for 900 with free shipping

I believe it is 7" which to me doesnt sound right arent there just 6 unch and 8 inch? And I dont know about the insulate or the installation as Im sure its been there for a hundred years... We do clean it our selves..

Fire god: I was talking about the Englander 30 That fire honor society gave me a link too on home depot. Here they are listed for around 1200 where he is they are listed for 900 with free shipping

Hmmm..."fire god" - I am assuming that is responding to me? The englander is a solid stove for sure. That is not the part in question. My suggestion is to CONFIRM that your stove pipe is fit and safe to continue down the path of using ANY solid fuel burning appliance. It may very well be in fine shape, but I would make sure of it. Your life and the lives of others depend on it. Once it is confirmed it sounds like you are off to the races. Grab the stove of your choice. Install it to specs (including your hearth extension if needed) and enjoy.

Sorry for my bad grammar and use of this forum if you cant tell this is my first time. I will definetly look into the condition of the pipes as Im sure they are old and I plan on using the stove daily.

Thank you Everyone for the great advice I really appreciate it!

Sorry for my bad grammar and use of this forum if you cant tell this is my first time. I will definetly look into the condition of the pipes as Im sure they are old and I plan on using the stove daily.

If you don't know what to look for, it may be the appropriate time to call in a pro. At the very least, ask here if you have questions or concerns.

You used no bad grammar, so far as I can see. It's a very typical thing for a new person on the forums to use the "label" in another member's little profile box rather than the username, which appears just above that. Look at your own, and you'll see what I mean. You're labeld a "firestarter", which simply means you've just recently begun posting...but your username is "HelpMe:)". Yes, Jags is a "Fire God"...but big deal, so are a lot of other people (but nobody else is Jags). Call him Jags and everyone will know exactly who you're talking to/about. Just as we need to have some patience with you as we get to know one another, you need to have a little patience with us. There's a whole lot to learn if you're going to safely operate a wood stove in your home. We can help you a bunch...stick around and keep talking. Rick

The flue is as important as the stove with regard to function and safety. While checking we need to know whether the Hot Blast and the stove upstairs are on the same chimney or if they have different flue liners (clay tile) in the chimney. The best thing to do is to pull the pipe from the stove out of the thimble on the chimney and shine a flashlight in there. See if it is lined, see if you can measure the ID of the flue tile.

Also, can you describe the area you are trying to heat? How large is it? How open is the floorplan?

I will try to check that out but they are both on the same chimney I beleive as we only have one. This is our first home and that is how it came. I will try to pull the pipe off and look in like you said.

Thanks for explaining Jags & trust me I will be sticking around and will have lots more questions :) As I can tell this is just the start,,

Thanks for explaining Jags & trust me I will be sticking around and will have lots more questions :) As I can tell this is just the start,,

Thats what this place is all about. :cheese:

One chimney CAN have more than one flue. Thats why BG was suggesting to get down and dirty and take a look with a flash light.

You can tell if this is a common flue by attaching a weight like a nut or bolt to a long string. Pull the thimble connections on the upstairs and downstairs stoves. Then lower the bolt down the upper pipe. If it shows up in the lower one, then they are on a common flue. This is not permitted.

What condition is the HotShot furnace in? Did it work at one time? If you can post some pictures of the hotshot we 'might' be able to determine the issue with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.