Need help finding log starter for fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

compulynx

Apr 16, 2020
USA
Back in 1996, I built my home and they installed a log starter in the fireplace. It is cast iron, and was installed flush with the floor. It has a removable lid to clean it out. I need to replace it and can not find where I can get one.
I attached photos of the unit, which is made of cast iron.

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• fp1.jpg
    fp1.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 74
  • fp2.jpg
    fp2.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 71
My research indicates that that particular style isn't offered any more.
All of the log lighters appear to be at least 10" long.
Either you will have to change styles, or take what you have to a
local machine shop & have a new one fabricated. If you take this
route, I'd suggest that you get one made out of stainless steel...
Probably won't be cheap...

Thanks for the reply. I am finding the same thing. Seems I will have to make a change. I am looking at a 12" stainless steel pipe starter that sits just above the floor of the fireplace. Not sure how long it will last, but they are saying a lifetime warranty.

Will be easy to replumb for that. Just run new pipe a little higher and replace the 5 firebricks I had to remove to access the bad part of the line.

Reactions: DAKSY