New Condar cat thermometer for BK princess accuracy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JKanor

Oct 17, 2018
Northeast PA
So I bought a new Condar cat thermometer to replace the BK one in my BK princess which is a little over 3 years old, but only a few months old to me. Mainly because of the actual degree scale rather than the dummy scale on the stock one, and to ensure accuracy. Same size dial and length probe. Obviously the stock one is made by Condar.

However when I got it in the mail today just holding it in my hand pushed the needle a hair over 100*. So I clipped it in a pair of needle nose pliers and the edge of a pot of boiling water. After 5 min for so it was reading 400* steady out of the box. That's pretty unacceptable to me when the literature says it's a "precision thermometer".

So I loosened the bolt on the face and clocked it to show a hair under 250* while sitting in boiling water, just to be safe. I'd rather it read a LITTLE high than low. But not 200* high.

Anyone else run into this? Could I count on this method to be accurate that low in the temp scale?..once I inserted it in the stove after my calibration on a 12-13 hour burn of oak and ash (mainly black coals), it read between 700-800 set at about 1/3 throttle. The cat has maybe 150 hours or so on it.

So I bought a new Condar cat thermometer to replace the BK one in my BK princess which is a little over 3 years old, but only a few months old to me. Mainly because of the actual degree scale rather than the dummy scale on the stock one, and to ensure accuracy. Same size dial and length probe. Obviously the stock one is made by Condar.

However when I got it in the mail today just holding it in my hand pushed the needle a hair over 100*. So I clipped it in a pair of needle nose pliers and the edge of a pot of boiling water. After 5 min for so it was reading 400* steady out of the box. That's pretty unacceptable to me when the literature says it's a "precision thermometer".

So I loosened the bolt on the face and clocked it to show a hair under 250* while sitting in boiling water, just to be safe. I'd rather it read a LITTLE high than low. But not 200* high.

Anyone else run into this? Could I count on this method to be accurate that low in the temp scale?..once I inserted it in the stove after my calibration on a 12-13 hour burn of oak and ash (mainly black coals), it read between 700-800 set at about 1/3 throttle. The cat has maybe 150 hours or so on it.

I calibrate mine to zero every year. Just let it sit at room temperature, then loosen the nut on the back, adjust the needle to 75ish, and tighten the nut. That's likely to be more accurate than the boiling water method, because you have hot air and steam directly hitting the bimetallic coil on a probe thermometer, which is going to jack up the reading.

Yeah, you did it wrong. This meter is calibrated for something other than trying to hold it in your hand or dunking it in boiling water or whatever other thing you can think of.

The only thing you can do is set it to room temperature when it is at room temperature. It was probably fine from the factory.

I too have the condar cat meter for my princess. It’s great, and I like having numbers.

Here’s mine right now. Cat is chowing in Douglas fir.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 289
Yeah, you did it wrong. This meter is calibrated for something other than trying to hold it in your hand or dunking it in boiling water or whatever other thing you can think of.

The only thing you can do is set it to room temperature when it is at room temperature. It was probably fine from the factory.

I too have the condar cat meter for my princess. It’s great, and I like having numbers.

Here’s mine right now. Cat is chowing in Douglas fir.
Hey, which one did you get? The 2.5" ?. I want to get two but they're listing different sizes on Amazon.

Model 3CX-2 is listed on their website as fitting most BK stoves, and was the exact dimensions as my OEM one. 2" dial with a 2" probe.
Thanks, I appreciate the information. I already ordered two of them. Something I want to do from long time. Lol.