New Eco-Choice WS22, First Fire!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry in OK

Oct 31, 2011
NE Oklahoma
Finished the install on my new WS22 this afternoon. We had a high of 74* this afternoon and I didn't think I was going to build a fire tonight but we had a cold front come in with some rain which really started to cool off the house and decided to go for it.

Started with a small fire with some dry hickory and oak and didn't get the stove much over 300*. We're getting a little bit of new stove smell but it isn't terrible or intolerable.

When the first fire had burned down pretty much to coals I added another split of hickory and a chunk of oak that was only about 6"X6" and it wasn't too long before I was seeing flames dancing along the bottom of the secondaries, stove top temp in the low 400s by IR thermometer. The house is a comfortable 72* in the living room but I don't have any thermometers in the bedroom but is feels comfortable.
I don't have a blower on it yet so I just set a floor fan about 12' away from it and blowing from that end of the room towards the living room, not actually blowing on the stove, just moving the arm air.

I spent many hours reading the forums here and what I've learned helped me make my stove choice and made the self install go
much better than I anticipated.

Screw the gas company!

LArry in OK said:
Finished the install on my new WS22 this afternoon. We had a high of 74* this afternoon and I didn't think I was going to build a fire tonight but we had a cold front come in with some rain which really started to cool off the house and decided to go for it.

Started with a small fire with some dry hickory and oak and didn't get the stove much over 300*. We're getting a little bit of new stove smell but it isn't terrible or intolerable.

When the first fire had burned down pretty much to coals I added another split of hickory and a chunk of oak that was only about 6"X6" and it wasn't too long before I was seeing flames dancing along the bottom of the secondaries, stove top temp in the low 400s by IR thermometer. The house is a comfortable 72* in the living room but I don't have any thermometers in the bedroom but is feels comfortable.
I don't have a blower on it yet so I just set a floor fan about 12' away from it and blowing from that end of the room towards the living room, not actually blowing on the stove, just moving the arm air.

I spent many hours reading the forums here and what I've learned helped me make my stove choice and made the self install go
much better than I anticipated.

Screw the gas company!

Congrats Larry!! Sadly no pics means it never happened..

Ray

congrats shes a cooker when u get it figured out depending on your flue setup mine likes to cruise between 525-600 degree stovetop.

I'll see about getting some pics up but I managed to soot up my glass with the first low fire so I want to clean that first :red: .

Kept the house comfortable all night but my wife said the furnace did kick on about 8:00 this morning before I got up.
I'd thrown a couple of small splits of Oak and Hickory about midnight before I went to bed and by 9:00 I still had plenty of coals left to quickly get it going again.
BSJ- I've got 8' of class A plus the cap and about 5' of single wall off the top of the stove. I checked the stove top temp a few minutes ago and it was hitting 540*.
Still have lots to learn to get the combination of this thing figured out but so far I'm thinking it is going to be pretty easy to use.

Dont worry bout the glass when you get a hot fire going it will burn off and clear right up. I did the same thing on my first fire It got black I spent about 40 minutes getting it nice and clean just for it to get black again at the begining of the second fire. I left it and when I started burning hot it cleared right up.

We had a good hot fire this evening and most of the glass cleared up. I was out splitting wood till dark and time to get ready for work so still no pictures.
The first 24 hours with the stove burning have been a good learning experience. Heck, my wife even added a log while I was outside splitting more wood.
I got her to throw another log on the fire, now if I can get her to cook me up some bacon and some beans I'll have it made.

Status
Not open for further replies.