New F3500 Regency Owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SnowmanNH

Jan 21, 2019
New Hampshire
Hello all,

So my New F3500 was delivered today..unfortunately the install stalled with the wrong hearth pad but thats a gripe for another day.

My question is regarding seasoning the stove as I have found reference to this process but little actual data. The Regency manual states for the First Fire “to build a small fire” with no reference to temp or duration. I have seen bits and pieces that say the first few fires should be controlled so as to season the stove and paint but I cannot seem to find temps/times to use as a guide for this process. The manual then goes on to discuss the cat and how to get this going but I would assume a fire hot enough to activate the cat may be higher than the small fires recommended. The Manual also states for the first few fires to “keep the combustion rate at a moderate level and avoid large fires”..again..no real data to inform the customer.

Can someone please add actual data to these statements so as a new owner/user I can properly follow the seriously vague instructions provided? I am all about learning curves just not at the expense of my new stove.

Thanks for the guidance!

Chris

Hello all,

So my New F3500 was delivered today..unfortunately the install stalled with the wrong hearth pad but thats a gripe for another day.

My question is regarding seasoning the stove as I have found reference to this process but little actual data. The Regency manual states for the First Fire “to build a small fire” with no reference to temp or duration. I have seen bits and pieces that say the first few fires should be controlled so as to season the stove and paint but I cannot seem to find temps/times to use as a guide for this process. The manual then goes on to discuss the cat and how to get this going but I would assume a fire hot enough to activate the cat may be higher than the small fires recommended. The Manual also states for the first few fires to “keep the combustion rate at a moderate level and avoid large fires”..again..no real data to inform the customer.

Can someone please add actual data to these statements so as a new owner/user I can properly follow the seriously vague instructions provided? I am all about learning curves just not at the expense of my new stove.

Thanks for the guidance!

Chris

UPDATE..Found info on here from a few years back that gave temps etc...thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
We have installation! Boys were here bright and early and we have a hole in the roof!

I will show pics as the install happens so folks can see that are looking to start out.

Here the box is being prepped

Attachments

• F2F4D08F-266B-44C3-A297-50D317C3E705.jpeg
    F2F4D08F-266B-44C3-A297-50D317C3E705.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 434
  • 9C734386-4E8F-416F-820E-5DDE6457933F.jpeg
    9C734386-4E8F-416F-820E-5DDE6457933F.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 427
Reactions: Woody Stover
Outside ......:)

Attachments

• AFB6C5F1-192A-4863-B723-6B4C3D1AA399.jpeg
    AFB6C5F1-192A-4863-B723-6B4C3D1AA399.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 422
  • F642D089-C071-4C1C-B401-CB9F21F66D0C.jpeg
    F642D089-C071-4C1C-B401-CB9F21F66D0C.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 445
  • D2C99B6F-FD55-4006-89CA-4689103F420D.jpeg
    D2C99B6F-FD55-4006-89CA-4689103F420D.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 439
Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Thats a tall chimney. Any pictures zoomed out?

nice enjoy the heat :)
Thanks! It’s 26 out and just the small break in fires are warming the bones of the house..we have one wall that is almost all glass and has been a cold spot since we bought the home..now the windows are warm on the inside and there is no temp drop right up to the windows!

Sooooo Impressed with the positive warm air induction from the fresh air kit!!

Hey all,

Can someone give me an idea of what kind of temps I should be seeing stovetop is cruise mode? I am seeing 600 plus with everything throttled back but have to run blowers to keep it that low, light flames but Cat is running HOT.

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 492
Hey all,

Can someone give me an idea of what kind of temps I should be seeing stovetop is cruise mode? I am seeing 600 plus with everything throttled back but have to run blowers to keep it that low, light flames but Cat is running HOT.

Thanks!
Can’t speak to your specific stove but 600* seems very reasonable to me. My stove routinely hits 750* after a hot reaload. It settles down after 40 min. or so.
If any part of the stove body or connector pipe glows you’re way too hot. But that should go without saying...seems like you are on the right track. Nice clean install btw

Reactions: SnowmanNH
This stove is insane how long it heats the house. I had outside temps of 10 degrees last night filled the stove at 8pm went 12 hours, here’s the chart the red line is inside stove temp the green is stove top. At 5am I woke up and opened the air completely from 1/4 opened for the overnight burn I wanted to burn the coals down so I can fill it before going to work for the next 12 hours, I also took that picture at 6:30am after 10 1/2 hours of burning.
5994DD1C-934F-4D0B-AB8D-2040E8EB6247.png E7D3365B-B025-47BB-99C8-357C6115B816.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, sounds like a winner. Are you burning both Regencies in this cold snap?

This stove is insane how long it heats the house. I had outside temps of 10 degrees last night filled the stove at 8pm went 12 hours, here’s the chart the red line is inside stove temp the green is stove top. At 5am I woke up and opened the air completely from 1/4 opened for the overnight burn I wanted to burn the coals down so I can fill it before going to work for the next 12 hours, I also took that picture at 6:30am after 10 1/2 hours of burning.
View attachment 239844 View attachment 239843
Damn man that’s sweet...still working on dialing in my 3500..only had her in a week..but it’s been below zero last few days and haven’t dropped below 72 in my 2600sq ft abode.

Yes, but my daughter started yelling at me because the living room where the insert is was 80 degrees.
Better not get too carried away or your wife will be complaining you're melting the candles like this fellow did.

Melting candles.jpg

My wife was complaining a bit also but I like waking up in the morning have my coffee and not worry about adding wood.

Hello all,

Thanks for the guidance!

Chris

Hey Chris,

Like you I'm a new owner of a Regency F3500. We have had quite the cold snap here in Alberta. -34°C without windchill for the last week. Needless to say stove has been going 24/7 for the last month since install really.

Seems to be working great my only concern is that it's working too well. Maybe too much draft. Stove top temps can get to 800F at times. Usually runs around the 650-700F tho. As soon as the fire gets rolling and I engage the cat, it's dampered right down (all the way right). Temps can still get high up to 800F dampered right down.

Just wondering with anyone else with a F3500 is this too high a temp.

I can't kill the fire with dampering right down as well. A little concerning that I don't have that control. Again just wondering if this is common.

Just getting into the wood stove world so open to discussion.

Love the heat from this stove and the burn times.

Cheers,

Travis

How tall is your chimney system? Where are you measuring stove top temp? 800 isn't necessarily too hot, especially if measured above the cat. That said, you may have too much draft. There's been a bit of discussion lately (maybe always) about how installers never measure draft even in situations that are likely to have too much. You may need a flue damper (some use two) to reduce your draft.

PS You may want to start a new thread with your concerns and include that info about your setup.

I've now run a few stoves on different flue lengths and it's amazing how differently they can behave on a shorter/longer chimney--different lighting off, burn times, etc... The chimney is the engine that drives part of the fuel (air) though the system so it's really strange to me that it's not considered more carefully in each setup.

Also check to see if there is smoke coming out of the chimney when the bypass is closed. If you have smoke coming out can be your bypass is not closing properly.