New member - Cracked stove door glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you live near a reasonably large urban area, call the local glass shops and ask if they have ceramic stove glass. Pyroceram and Robax are two major brands. They may be able to cut you a piece while you wait.

I understand your reluctance to pay the piper (gas company) but in Ontario I can guarantee you that using anything electrical to heat is going to cost you so much more. The cost of hydro is outrageous here. The steel plate idea is a great one, I would get it done before you run out of options it is not going to get any warmer for a while.

Best of luck and a Happy and Warm New Year.

Can you say kerosene heater and crack a window? (Not with a poker!)

Cindi, hope so many people trying to help/discuss didn't put you off.. Did you guys make it through the night? Got new glass? all warm and comfy for the new year?? Baking bread as I type?

We do, or at least I do, like to hear what resolution members have to their problems, never know when it might come in handy to be able to refer back to a thread when someone needs help in the future with a similar problem..

Aluminum foil (several sheets thick) wrapped over the door might control the airflow well enough. Note it will erode away wherever it's in contact with flame or coals. Multiple sheets thickness will help mitigate against having a hole form in the sheets.

Status
Not open for further replies.