New project started. NOW WITH PICS!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmonSTART

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
So I have this homeless VC Vigilant sitting in my yard, and an unused chimney in my workshop. Hmm.. Whatever shall I do??

I removed an old staircase/wall to open up the chimney area and give myself a bit more room in the workshop. I'm going to line the chimney and build a hearth, then rehab the stove. It will be nice to have some good heat out there, but I'm going to have to move a lot of the flammable stuff (furniture finish, automotive chemicals, etc.) Now i just have to figure out how to close off the hole in the ceiling/floor where the old staircase was.

I'll post some pictures as I move along.

cmonSTART said:
So I have this homeless VC Vigilant sitting in my yard, and an unused chimney in my workshop. Hmm.. Whatever shall I do??

I removed an old staircase/wall to open up the chimney area and give myself a bit more room in the workshop. I'm going to line the chimney and build a hearth, then rehab the stove. It will be nice to have some good heat out there, but I'm going to have to move a lot of the flammable stuff (furniture finish, automotive chemicals, etc.) Now i just have to figure out how to close off the hole in the ceiling/floor where the old staircase was.

I'll post some pictures as I move along.

When I was a kid my Dad had a barrel stove in our attached 2-car garage. All kinds of flamable stuff in that garage. Dad thought it a treat when it was 5 °F outside and with the stove stoked he could work in the garage in his t-shirt. Nowaday, around here anyways, most municipalities & insurance companies will not allow this type of installation.

Then again, back in the day, nobody knew hotdogs might cause cancer. :)

That Vigilant doesn't have a cracked fireback and broken front door does it? :)

Good luck on the project. You may want to consider getting a flammable cabinet for all those materials. (Sorry, the safety professional in me comes out once in a while).

Yes. Yes I should!

Looks like I have everything laying around to line the chimney with DuraFlex (Ventinox) Smooth Wall. I have to join a couple lengths together, but I think I am good to go.

cmonSTART said:
Yes. Yes I should!

Looks like I have everything laying around to line the chimney with DuraFlex (Ventinox) Smooth Wall. I have to join a couple lengths together, but I think I am good to go.

It seems you and I are the only people here that have a Ventinox liner.. I was really sold on them when I learned they are the only welded seam liner.. How do you feel about Ventinox as a professional?

Ray

Well, the liner went in pretty easily. I'll have to wait on the finish work (masonry) on the inside because the shop is currently unheated. I ended up breaking the Vigilant down and carrying it in piece by piece. I wasn't planning on doing this initially, but I am glad I did as most of the joints were already pretty loose. So, the Vigilant is being rebuilt in the shop currently.

Pics are coming soon... oh yes, it IS happening!

Liner is in! It's too cold to do the brick work inside. Maybe I'll put a clean-out door below the thimble. All crimped and ready!

Attachments

• New project started.  NOW WITH PICS!!
    2011-12-17_11-50-14_900.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 740
And here she is resealed and put back together. It actually came out looking much better than I thought it would. All it needs now is a new door latch and some gaskets. I also forgot I had the short legs on it. I'll have to figure something out there.

The stove wasn't too bad off. The fireback was slightly warped and there is one small crack starting, but it's OK all in all. The air door is also on it's last legs.

Attachments

2011-12-17_15-55-14_782.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 742
cmonSTART said:
...I removed an old staircase/wall to open up the chimney area and give myself a bit more room in the workshop...

I'll bet whoever was upstairs at the time is pretty upset. :ahhh: Rick

The VC stove is looking good! Nice work on the liner too.. Looks pretty easy to take apart the VC unlike my old CDW which had tons of parts!

Ray

Doesn't sound like any major issues with the old Vigilant- she looks beautiful after the rebuild! I'll be the crack you saw was going from the reburn chamber west along the fireback- seems to be a typical crack that forms on those stoves.

Cannot wait to see the final product. If you want, I have a kerosene heater you can borrow to keep the shop warm so you can do the brick work.

Nice work as usual!

Dang. That liner work looks like it was done by a pro. :lol:

All looking good guy.

Yes, the gobs of Roxul give it that "professional" touch.

Remi, thanks but I actually have one. The problem is I still have a gaping hole in the ceiling right above where I am working where the old staircase was. I can't stand the idea of burning kero only to have all the heat go upstairs. Once I get the stove hooked up and burning I will worry about plugging the hole.

Well, it's in and burning. I had to jury rig a latch until the new pawl comes in in a week or so. I also made up a temporary hearth with a couple sheets of Durock and some leftover firebrick from a couple jobs. It's great to have some heat in the workshop!!

Attachments

stove.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 444
Seeing that vigilant burning brings a tear to my eye.....

Handsome family there! Enjoy the heat in the workshop- if I am ever up your way i will know where to find you. :)

p.s. Nice photo of a top-down start!

Very nicely done. Looks like your helpers are appreciating the warmth too.

cmonSTART said:
I also made up a temporary hearth with a couple sheets of Durock and some leftover firebrick from a couple jobs.

Hearth? Isn't that a concrete floor beneath the stove?

pen

Congrats the stove came out great! Nice pic of the kids too!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.