New tax credits for 2021

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Remember, the 26% applies to venting, stove hearth pad and labor....exceptionally good for new construction, remodels etc.

It also applies to second homes, has not limit, and can be claimed even if a prior credit has been taken.

It applies to wood and pellet as well.

As I recall there are nearly 100+ qualifying units.

Remember, the 26% applies to venting, stove hearth pad and labor....exceptionally good for new construction, remodels etc.

It also applies to second homes, has not limit, and can be claimed even if a prior credit has been taken.

It applies to wood and pellet as well.

As I recall there are nearly 100+ qualifying units.
Yes, the tax credit weighs in heavily on my thinking right now. I’m just surprised PE didn’t make the list. Right now I’m leaning toward a BK.

Reactions: EbS-P
What if you bought and installed a new stove in 2019....could you be able to claim it if it meets the efficiency standards. I'm guessing no but hoping yeah.

What if you bought and installed a new stove in 2019....could you be able to claim it if it meets the efficiency standards. I'm guessing no but hoping yeah.
Then you are eligible for the 25C Tax Credit. Your credit is capped at $300.00. Ask your accountant, but if you have not previously claimed the credit, you can get the $300. Look at the manufacturers website for a certificate validating the eligibility of the stove you purchased. You need not send the certificate to the IRS, just keep a copy in the event of an audit.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
Then you are eligible for the 25C Tax Credit. Your credit is capped at $300.00. Ask your accountant, but if you have not previously claimed the credit, you can get the $300. Look at the manufacturers website for a certificate validating the eligibility of the stove you purchased. You need not send the certificate to the IRS, just keep a copy in the event of an audit.

Thanks

Reactions: BKVP
From Hearth Patio & Barbecue Assoc.

Out with the old and in with the new! A new tax credit for wood and pellet heaters, the Wood and Pellet Heater Investment Tax Credit (ITC), officially came into effect on January 1, 2021. The new credit – under Internal Revenue Code Section 25(D) – was created by spending legislation enacted by Congress at the end of 2020.

This is a brand-new tax credit. If a taxpayer claimed the old credit in the past, they could make a qualifying purchase in 2021 and claim this new credit.

This was the result of years of HPBA lobbying and advocacy by other trade associations with similar interests.

How much is the new credit?

In 2021 and 2022, taxpayers can claim 26 percent of purchase AND installation costs, with no limit. In 2023, that amount drops to 22 percent. But this is MUCH more generous than the old tax credit, which was just $300 and had many limitations.

What qualifies for the new Wood and Pellet Heater ITC?

Any wood or pellet-fueled heater (heats air or water) that is at least 75 percent efficient per the higher heating value (HHV) of the fuel. This is a different requirement when compared to the old tax credit.

Consult the EPA certified list of heaters to see which products qualify. All efficiency numbers on the EPA list are in HHV.

Reactions: Grizzerbear
I apologize for my ignorance, and I've tried checking through the list of stoves that qualify, but are there any Zero Clearance fireplaces that would qualify for the tax credit? We're starting new construction soon to include a wood burning fireplace: the current plan design doesn't lend to a stove and we don't have an existing masonry firebox to put an insert in. Perhaps I'm not understanding the difference between fireplaces that need to be installed in masonry vs framing. I'll continue searching though the list, but thought I'd check to see if anyone had some advice.

I haven't seen any, but it's a good question.

I apologize for my ignorance, and I've tried checking through the list of stoves that qualify, but are there any Zero Clearance fireplaces that would qualify for the tax credit? We're starting new construction soon to include a wood burning fireplace: the current plan design doesn't lend to a stove and we don't have an existing masonry firebox to put an insert in. Perhaps I'm not understanding the difference between fireplaces that need to be installed in masonry vs framing. I'll continue searching though the list, but thought I'd check to see if anyone had some advice.
@klitscher With a little more searching it looks like the Montecito Estate lists at 79% overall efficiency on the EPA list. Contact Astria and see if they provide the C-55 verification form for this fireplace for the IRS.

Last edited:
Reactions: klitscher
I think he means that there are many 2020 EPA stoves that don't qualify. Some miss by just 1%, which is a bit frustrating considering they are still very clean-burning stoves. Let your legislators know

Huh? What are you talking about? Doubtful there are any stoves that don’t meet 2020 epa regulations that qualify for the credit.
I meant there are a few companies that I know of that have stoves at 74 percent efficiency so it’s too bad those stoves don’t qualify for the tax credit. Both for the companies and consumer.

Question. We had a Pellet boiler installed around January 26th. This qualifies for the 26% credit being a biomass heater.

Do we know if there's a cap on how much credit we will get back?

Additionally if we also replace our wood stove this year would be get another 26% tax credit or can you only claim it on one unit per year?

Any guidance on that anywhere?

As I understand it there is no limit per se, but if you don’t otherwise pay enough taxes to use up the credit this year there may be a limit on the number of years you can carry it forward. But it’s really hard to get good data on that, so it’s very unclear to me how long the credit can be carried forward.

As I understand it you can claim the credit for more than one installation. But I’m not 100% on that.

@klitscher With a little more searching it looks like the Montecito Estate lists at 79% overall efficiency on the EPA list. Contact Astria and see if they provide the C-55 verification form for this fireplace for the IRS.

Thanks - it does appear that the Montecito Estate and the Superior WCT6940 (which appear to be the same thing) are the only ZC fireplaces on the list. Thanks again for your help!

I just missed the 26% rebate by 2% HHV as well.

If I wanted to buy a new stove this year... and spend no more than 2k (but still qualify for the 2021 rebate)... what would be the best bang for the buck? My "firebox capacity" has to be at least 2.0 cu ft.

Any thoughts?

Im looking at a new fireplace sometime this year but it doesn't appear that many meet the cut off to be eligible for the tax incentives, I was originally looking at a larger fireplace like the Pioneer 3 from Quadrafire, it has a 4.1 cu ft firebox but it is only gets 69%, in your opinions will manufacturers adjust models to reach the 75% threshold in the next year or is the list as is pretty much it?

74%, 73%,65%? They drew the line given great consideration for tax credit filings in past biomass credits.

Do we recall 2008? 30% up to $1500. Originally the credit was for HHV efficiency but lobbied to LHV efficiency. (To increase consumer choice). Then nearly 100% of the wood/pellet units qualified. Clearly that wasn't the original intent, given IRS dropped it to $300.

You can bet, shortly, manufacturers will modify and retest to get average overall efficiency of 75%+.

This is an exciting opportunity for both consumers and most manufacturers. Of course sourcing enough steel to build stoves is now a great challenge.

Good news is all the advancement in dealing with this pandemic and getting people back to work.

Stay safe all!